1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

My dad has yet again caused me a major headache. He's failed to pay his half of a summer program that I'm going to attend this summer, so I just had to dish out over a thousand dollars for this thing until he gives me a check for his half. It's written in my parent's divorce agreement that they each pay for half of things like this, but ya know...getting him to pay for anything is like pulling teeth. What makes me even more angry is the fact that tomorrow is the deadline for payment, and my mom was just like, "If he doesn't pay for his half I guess you'll need to find something else to do this summer," like it was no big deal!

And this isn't the first time my dad's done something like this either. It took him three months to pay for his half of the original car my parents bought my brother and me. That made me so ANGRY!

So ya, both of my parents are acting pretty immature lately and it's really pissing me off. Does anyone else have parents like this, or am I the only one?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Divorce often brings out the worst in people. They probably hate each other and aren't even talking to each other, other than the minimum necessary.

The problem with this incident is that if your mum pays this time it sets a president and he will expect that next time. If the legal stuff is ongoing neither will want to do any more than they have to as the other could use it as a bargaining point.

The good thing is that you had the money to pay yourself.

3. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

is your dad not paying because he knows ur gay? and dosent support you? or is he not paying just cause he dosent want too ?....get your mom to take his ass to court..and the court will force him to pay...this way will also make sure he makes his future payments otherwise he will get in trouble by the court...

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Yea, my parent's divorce was officiated in January of 2001, they've been doing things like this for seven years...But you're right at least I had the money to pay for it.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Seven years! I would have thought they would have got over it somewhat by now. It must have been a really nasty divorce or events that caused it.

My sister and her ex-husband divorced about 4 or 5 years ago, and although they still dislike each other they are both being civil and doing what's best for their kids.

I don't have much experience of divorced couples though so I don't know whether yours or my sister are more typical.

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Oh, seven years...they've been seperated since the summer of 1999. You should really hear the stories I have from when they were dividing all the assests up.

7. panda

Take him to court is my first thought, but maybe that would create more animosity and more hassles. Sounds like some sort of childish power-trip.
    I'm sorry to hear of your situation.Adults often seem to revert to some lowest level of humanity after divorce.Keep Smilin'.:smilewave

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... first of all, hugs for you.

My parents rarely argue about money, although my father (who is immature in some areas, most of the time I think I'm older than he is) lives in unreality, he doesn't know anything about our expenses, debts etc. so sometimes spends more money than he can and then we're the ones who suffer the consequences.

9. Jard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents have both been pretty ugly to each other since their divorce as well. They both tell me their out a ton of money because of the other (my dad's the one who's lying). He's refused to pay child support before, but he's more than willing to shell out tons of money if I ever want anything. It's kind of annoying really.

10. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Your mom needs to be calling Prohbation of the state where the divorce was finalized if he isn't paying child support. They'll garnish his wages, and your mom doesn't even have to hire a lawyer.

11. Jim1454

My wife and I (thankfully) have remained best friends in our separation. When it became clear that we couldn't stay married, the focus became our kids, and how to make this as easy and painless for them as possible. My wife and I talk about what we're going to sign the kids up for in advance, and then I pay my share. I assume that they've also done this, but then your dad is slow to 'cough up' the money. It's not always easy to support a family that you don't live with. He may be having his own cash flow problems.

Their attitude about it does sound a little casual though - which is going to be really frustrating for you. Good luck. enjoy the summer program!

12. Jard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh trust me, she's taken him to court. I don't know all the details, I prefer not to get involved in all that business, but I'm pretty sure he's paying now.