1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Retrospect, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Retrospect

Hey guys! I need some opinions.

There's this guy I've been talking to for about a month now. We've been really flirty with each other and stuff, and I like him (we're not 100% compatible or anything - some things about him bother me) but I like him nonetheless. Anyway, I told him this, and he said he liked me too and all. But, he said he's polyamorous at the moment and is also dating at least one another guy (there may be more). At first, I kinda overreacted and went off on a tangent and told him that we could still be friends, but all the flirting needs to stop. I told him I had nothing against open relationships, but that they weren't for me. He told me to let him know if that viewpoint changes.

I realized that I'm not really sure if they're for me or not. I guess I just never saw it as a possibility before. I've never been in a relationship, so I'm not sure if an open relationship would be a good place to start or not. I mean, I guess it would be easier to find out what I like and don't like (that's why he's doing it) but I'm not sure if there will be an emotional toll on me or not.

So I'm torn. I don't love this guy or anything. But, I guess it could be to my benefit to take advantage of a non-committal relationship to discover more about myself? Again, I'm not sure. :help:

Thoughts? :icon_bigg

2. Hmm. Seems to me there couldn't really be any damage done. I mean, you've said he isn't 100% compatible and that you don't love him. Even if a relationship began, you would be protected from a lot of hurt because there isn't super strong attachment. Also, since the other guy is open with multiple people, things would be really casual. Seems like there could be problems with the other guys he is dating, i.e. competition, jealousy, etc. Gotta say, not for me but if it feels right, I don't see too much that could go wrong.

As always, do what feels right. Hope things work out! :thumbsup:

3. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

Ok can't say I give the best advise but I'll give it a shot. First lets admit that you & are both young and hormonal. I tried I few times to have a fling with some girl and either I wanted more or I found I didn't really like them that much. I did however get some experience that's kinda helping with the relationship I'm in now. This is my Firestone real relationship and trust me when you really like someone it makes everything different, sad part is though she's still hesitant about anything physical so I'm going a bit crazy. Funny really I'm not real even trying to make her do anything she is the one in the lead right know. I'd say go with what you want most, if that's to figure out what you like then maybe fooling around isn't a bad thing, but if you want a relationship then Ill lest you in on a secret, even though I'm more experienced then her I still feel as if everything is a first cause I'm with someone who I really want to be with.

4. Retrospect

Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt he and I will "fall in love" or something. He's cute, and we have a few things in common, but that "spark" if you will isn't really there.