1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking mom to see a therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Greendalehumans, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Greendalehumans

I think I'm going to ask my mom if I can see a therapist soon.
    I was actually about to go do it tonight, but my dad just walked upstairs too and I'd feel more comfortable if it was just my mom. He literally just walked upstairs as I'm writing this.
    Oh well. Maybe tomorrow night. This sucks. I finally build up the courage and I can't do it.
    Any tips for when I do do it?

2. shorty99

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What is the reason for seeing the therapist? if your willing to tell.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, it must be serious. She could get extremely defensive and pissed off. What's going on?

4. shorty99

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    not meant to be offensive. but if its life threatening or just problems in life. the best way is to say I need to see some one and the reasons are ...... because seeing asking to see a therapist is hard to do depending on the situation. been there done that.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel like you need to share with us why you're seeking therapy if you aren't comfortable doing so.

The simplest way to approach it is just to say that you have some things going on for you that you'd like to talk to a therapist about, and it would be easier to talk with a therapist than with family or friends. Most reasonable people will understand that and not pry a lot more. If she does, I think it's reasonable to say something generic like feelings about stuff at school, or trying to get better understanding of yourself and how you view things, or something like that.

6. Greendalehumans

It's alright, I don't mind sharing. I've been struggling with self harm for a few years now and it doesn't seem like I'm very good at helping myself. So I've decided to finally take that step towards getting help. I don't think she'll get angry at me- she actually sees a therapist, I think. I discovered a couple weeks ago that she's taking medication for depression. My older sister also struggles with depression, so apparently it runs in the family :/ it's less of a "she's gonna get mad" and more of a "I don't want to ask for help" thing. I'm not good at opening up to people and I'm nervous.