1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Disorders?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hot Pink, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hot Pink

So I had a talk with one of my online friends last night. I have never had any issues with him before, but he went on this huge rant last night about how basically everything is a mental disorder. He said I had a gender mental disorder and that homosexuality is a mental disorder. He claimed that humans are only cisgender and heterosexual in their "natural, pure state."

That it doesn't matter what those crackpot psychologists say, homosexuality is and always will be a mental disorder because it isn't natural. He also said that there isn't a cure for gender identity disorder or homosexuality, though, so he sympathizes. He just believes they should have never removed them from the DSM and that politics have gotten in the way of logic.

It all started when I tried to explain romanticism to him. I'm sure I had before because he knew that I had a crush on a mutual male friend. He didn't get it, though. He said that I'm limiting myself because love and sex are the same thing. You can't separate them. It's impossible for me to be attracted to someone's mind and not their body. It's really my heterosexual urges trying to surface and I'm not gay at all.

Apparently, my inability to get sexually aroused by a man and my strong feelings of disgust in sexual situations with men are just in my head. It's just a mental disorder. How enlightening, right?

2. LOL, NOT natural, you say?

Then please explain why I existed the way I did. Then please explain to me why I was born naturally and biologically correct, yet still turned out gay. (Natural, eh; more like internalized homophobia)

(By you, I'm not referring to you, btw)

He sounds very ignorant.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say embrace the madness then! Horah!

Sounds to me like he has his own views. He'll probably come around when science finds out definitively what makes one gay. Until then.. maybe he will come to an understanding a different way. It is quite natural afterall. And one could say the same about him as a gay person since they wouldn't understand necessarily how one can be straight.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I second that, he sounds very ignorant. He's so misinformed and close minded. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but where's his proof/facts? Does he have some sort of degree/credentials to back up his ”claim?” I wouldn't worry about what he has to say, but I do think that you need to rethink your friendship with him. He's negative and someone you do not want in your life. Especially when you're going through the transition of accepting yourself and being proud. I would not listen to what he has to say anymore because his claims are absolutely absurd.

5. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

:lol: you now the way he said that makes it worse than it is. There r studies that say being gay is genetic. As a person in the field of Biology I'd have to say I'm proud of my mental disorders. Here's my reason why: I've been diagnosed as AD/HD, OCD, PTSD, dyslexia, & am labeled as visual-special. Know I don't now if that has to do if I'm gay but I've always been into girl since I was young. Mental disorders get such a bad rap, if you ask me, they made me who I am. Yes they r a pain to deal with since they cause problems but some of the greatest artist, musicians, and scientist have a disorder.:icon_bigg I HATED my disorders when I was a kid, yet without them I wouldn't have found science so fun nor would I have gotten a scholarship & internship without them. If being gay is a mental disorder then add it to my list cause I'm proud of how far I've come & al I've accomplished.