1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you get depressed..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just1Dude, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just wondering what you all try to do to get yourself out of the funk? Every once in a while I get amazingly depressed over the silly"est" things.. well I consider them silly because I think others would consider them silly, but to me they are big deals. Well.. today I am having one of those days where it is just..well you know.. bad and sad and gut wrenching. Sometimes I try to pull myself up by taking a drive, or listening to some of my favorite music. Maybe watching something online silly like south park or Family Guy... or just by trying to talk myself out of the mood by trying to label my good points.

If you have read some of my previous posts you would know that my closest friend (whom is also my cousin) has moved. Normally I would talk to her about anything and everything, and I am really missing that right now. Before anyone says it.. with her.. talking on the phone is NOT the same, haha!

Well to close the ramble.. I am in a pretty sad funk.. really down on myself. What are some ways you like to try to perk yourself up when/if you get depressed?

2. Ticklish Fish

I play games online to numb it out...
    or if it is night, I get the funk to sleep. sleep is good.

3. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, yes sleep is very good. Thanks for the chuckle on that reply :slight_smile:

4. Ticklish Fish

LOL. I Am serious. A good, ~8 hours of undisturbed, warm sleep is beautiful :grin:

5. SparkDT

I just usually ride it out. I'm not sure if that's the best coping strategy or not, but I'm the type of person that if I'm a bad mood I can't just distract myself with things I enjoy at all. I have to dive into it and ride it until I get over it. Usually by talking to a close friend about whatever is going on, which I find helps more than anything imaginable. I can't just flick a switch and turn it off like some people seem to be able to do though.

6. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, to just be able to flick a switch. I have to flick a "Fake" switch and work of course, all smiles! Which I am sure is with everyone at work/school. I agree that talking with someone close is the closest thing to a remedy.. for me at least.

7. MC Nickayyy xD

That one place, you know, by that one thing.
    I walk. I head out the door and walk through my town looking for good in the world, as well as doing good where I can.

8. julia

I listen to music. (but I always stay away from sad and depressing music because when that happens, i tend to do horrible things) I listen to soothing music, sometimes classical works really well and helps my mood. I was diagnosed with depression about 5 years ago and from there to where I am today I've been through so much and put my friends and family through far too much. Honestly the number one thing that keeps me from feeling too depressed for too long or cutting is the humiliation I felt when people found out.

9. jvn95

Same for me.

10. whitwhit82

I'm loving this post, because just this past week, I spoke with my therapist about an idea I came up with. I have battled depression for years. I started therapy a year and a half ago and that made a HUGE difference for me. I have come so far. Talking helped me tremendously, even though it was hard. I have a very close friend I can talk to when I get down and that helps, too. Anyway, I realized through therapy that I sabatoge. When life is going well, I hang on to the tinniest, little thing and turn it into something to be sad about. I'm familiar with pain and missery and I cling to the familiar. Life has been going great for me and I wanted to break that pattern. So... I made a list of things that help me feel bettter. I posted it on my fridge. If I catch myself getting in a funk, I turn to my list. It might sound cheesey, but it works!!! Here is my list: listening to music, painting, writing, drinking a cup of coffee, burning candles, taking a shower, walking Taylor (my dog), calling (my friend), cooking, meditating. Most of these things are things I do already on a daily basis, but I check my list when I'm sad and do any of the ones I haven't done already or I repeat them. If I had coffee in the morning, but I'm sad in the afternoon, I still might go make a cup of coffee. Hope this helps! And know you are not alone. Beating the blues is HARD! It's like you have a tiny terrorist who wants to screw up your day and you have to work hard to combat it.