1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to the new swimmer on the team?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FishMan27, Nov 14, 2012.

1. FishMan27

I started my swim season a couple weeks ago, and there is a new kid who will be swimming with the team this winter. He's my age but is a freshman in college.

Long story short, I don't swim for the high school team while the rest of the guys do. This new kid will be one of the only other guys I'll be swimming with this winter; everyone else will be girls.

I've gotten to the stage in my coming out process where I just won't hide the fact that I'm gay anymore. If someone was to ask me about girlfriends or simply if I'm gay, I'd probably just tell them. I don't care so much anymore.

I like this new kid (only as a friend, granted he is good-looking). He's good-humored and we'll be swimming a lot together because of our specialty: sprinting.

I guess my question is should I just tell him I'm gay or should I wait until he asks about girlfriends, etc., which he may never do? It's not like it's a huge deal, but it might save some potential awkwardness in the future.

2. Ticklish Fish

get to know him first? lol...
    what if you don't like his other personalities? XD

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I wouldn't bring it up if there is no need to. If the topic does come up, then I wouldn't hide anything. But to go out of the way and say that you're gay to him isn't really necessary I don't think.

4. Greendalehumans

I think you should just wait. It's a bit odd to walk up to him and say, "I'm gay." Don't you think? If the conversation turns towards girls or anything like that, sure why not? But I don't see any reason to have to go around proclaiming your sexuality to every person who comes into your life. :slight_smile:

5. BudderMC

If you're comfortable talking about it whenever and it isn't really (necessarily) pertinent to what you're doing, I don't see a reason to bring it up outside of when the topic arises personally.

That said, if it's something you feel like you want to do anyways, then by all means get it out of the way, and good luck!

6. FishMan27

Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I thought.

On a broader topic, I think I want to get a rainbow ring or bracelet or something subtle to show some gay pride. If I do, maybe he'll pick up on it. :slight_smile:

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I've met people that do this, and think it's ridiculous and annoying.

8. Lucy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Get To Know Him First Before Telling Him.There Is No Rush :slight_smile: