1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need to relax.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Feb 12, 2008.

1. katmando

I know sometimes when I come on this board I have come to discuss some of my struggles with ocd, and my sexuality and coming to terms with being gay.

But what I have noticed lately. Is I am being so hard on myself about everything that I forget to have fun. Again, I think some of me being hard on myself is related to the ocd, but I think sometimes I just have a bad habit of beating up on myself over the smallest things or have excessive problems with guilt(when its not necessary)

I keep forgetting life is suppose to be fun to :slight_smile:

Ok, I feel better sharing this.

Justin

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We have fun sections and more serious sections here, so you can do whatever you prefer.

Being gay doesn't mean you have to talk about gay support issues all the time. Having fun in the company of other gay people where you don't have to hide anything is a great way of relaxing and being yourself.

Check out the chatroom too. The discussions in there are often lighthearted and fun. If you find a heavy discussion there and don't fancy that, just leave it and try later.

3. katmando

Hi Paul:

thanks! I know what you mean. I think I am forgetting to make my real life fun

But I am greatful for this support forum in general and the people on here. Everyone is really great

justin

4. panda

We all just keep on trying and moving forward.That's what you're doing.:thumbsup:

Richard

5. Zec24

I feel that way too sometimes. I'm a serious person for the most part, and I usually come off as stand-offish to most people. I'm a fun person once you get to know me, but right now my idea of fun is different from other young adults (20-24ish).

My idea of fun is hanging out on a camping trip, doing some extreme sport, learning about cars, reading books, or walking around cities looking for cool places and museums. Most young adults my age prefer bars or clubs, not my scene.

I have a hard time fitting in with my peers sometimes and thus my real life is not always very fun. I have a very dry/sarcastic sense of humor and most people don't pick up on my jokes.

I guess having fun and relaxing is something we'll both have to learn! I guess we both take ourselves too seriously, I know I do.

6. Jim1454

Life doesn't always lend itself to having fun. It can get so busy that we often don't have time for fun. If this is what is happening, then schedule it into your calendar.

It may not be spontaneous, but that's not what you were concerned about! :grin:

Be sure that in the 168 hours that make up each week, that you've slotted some time for some kind of recreational activity or something you WANT to do, rather than always doing the things you HAVE to do or know that you SHOULD do.

Call a friend! You have my number! :smilewave

7. katmando

Well, I just wanted to update a little more. Since getting on some new medication I am starting to feel a little bit better. I start the job with the school system later this month, but that will only be temporary. I finally made a big decision in my life, and that is to relocate.

I have reconnected with some some friends who live in South Florida, and I am going to go down there in Late March and look at some places. Then when my lease ends this summer I am going to make the move.

I also emailed my father and told him I no longer want any kind of relationship with him or to talk to him any longer. He is constantly belittling me to the point where I feel like I can not breathe. I am 28 years old. Enough is Enough from the man already. Usually he is combative in emails, this time he just wrote back. Good luck on the move, and he wrote back he agrees its best if we do not good communicate. I am glad we ended in on "normal" terms, instead of me acting or him acting like a nut.

My father and I have had an off and on relationship over the years, but I remember not too long ago, I was suffering some PTS. My father has always acted crazy, but for about 4 months I could not speak to anyone, because i feared everyone was going to yell at me. Growing up he yelled/screamed, & he still does. I emailed him and told him I can not afford to go through that again, not now, not ever, where I am scared that people are going to yell at me for anything and everything I do. This was a really scary part of my life.

Mentally I am ready to move. I talked to my doc and he agrees.

I still am saddened by my dad's constant meanness towards me. I do not get it. It has nothing to do with my sexuality or me being gay, he is just mean. I dunno, it sounds weird, but the gym that I joined last week I have run into a lot of people I know from the community, everryone seems to like me a lot. My dad doesn't even know I joined the gym, but I saw badly want to tell him everyone likes me and thinks I am great guy. I really want to say to him why can't you see this??

I think at some point you have to realize that your parents are what they are and they are not going to change.

Justin

#7 katmando, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  8. Jonnnnn16

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

same goes for straight people, or anyone else that comes on here! It can be fun!

9. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean, I just sit around doing nothing, it just hit me today what am I doing with my life, nothing, I need to start setting some goals or something, I tend to overthink things to much, everybody I knows is moving on and I'm on this tread mill going nowhere.

Sounds like you're making changes and that's always good, I tend to forget or I've forgotten how to have fun hopefully it'll come back. Good luck.