1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are you ever certain?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kiwigirl, Nov 18, 2012.

1. kiwigirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi. I'm new here. But i have a question...

How do you ever know for certain that you are/are not gay?
    I have liked girls for a year now, but when I told me friend she said mayber it was just a phase and to wait and see. But wait for what?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

2. Bree

I don't know if you can ever really know. Orientation is such a subjective thing. All you can do is trust your instincts.

3. AAASAS

I think you can know because I know I am gay. Social paradigms are what stopped me from realizing that, though I realized it at a very young age.

If you are attracted to girls, it is more than likely you are gay, or bisexual. I don't think attraction is something that is as fluid as people think, maybe if you are bisexual it can seem fluid because you are attracted to both sexes. So possibly you are bisexual? Do you ever have opposite sex attractions?

I think things are much clearer when you are just gay, because you aren't getting confused by heterosexual feelings as well; which I think would be very confusing to deal with and can see how people find it hard to define themselves.

So just ask yourself, is it only girls in your dreams, or is it both?

If it is only girls, I would say you are gay. It is typical of straight people to ask if you are just confused, as they cannot fully understand being gay, therefore it doesn't seem completely viable as an option.

4. kiwigirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have liked guys before, but not as strongly as i am attracted to girls now. I still notice say, when a guy is hot though. What are social paradigms?

5. Pyrotactick

I agree with that. I'm questionning but I like guys (know this for sure). Sometimes though I don't feel like I want the guy that I like, later on I become pretty much...gay...(no offense, it's just that I become attracted to men a lot more). Then I go straight again and etc... Just live a bit and see what goes on! :slight_smile: Good luck! If your questioning, then your questioning, it's best to not over think, unless that's the abyss your skydiving into.

6. kiwigirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just live a bit and see what goes on! :slight_smile: Good luck! If your questioning, then your questioning, it's best to not over think, unless that's the abyss your skydiving into.

I like that advice very much. Thank you.