1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking for extensions from professors?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fleetingwells, Nov 18, 2012.

1. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't normally ask for extensions on projects, much less group projects (which I HATE so much with a PASSION right now) but I don't know what else to do at this point. Everybody in my group can't be able to meet up for ONE day to do a dumb video either because they have work or just completely forgot we even have a project to do. And honestly, I have no clue what it is we're even doing for this project. Only one person took down all the information and I unfortunately couldn't be here that one day to take down the information myself. I've tried checking online to see if my professor put up anything but NOPE. Nothing. So how am I supposed to know what to even do? I've texted everyone in the group but they're less than helpful, and nobody seems to give a flying f*** about it to begin with.

So in short, I don't know what to do anymore except to ask for an extension to give us more time for this project. I wish I could just say f*** all of you and f*** group projects as a whole, but I can't because this is my grade (about 7.5% of it, at least).

And I'm now I kinda need help on how to kindly ask for an extension in an email without sounding like an angry fool, even if there's no guarantees that my group might get one. I am seriously just livid right now though...

Sorry for rambling but I really just needed to let that out.

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi fleetingwells,

Speaking as a college professor, I'll say that some of us will give an extension and some of us won't...so your success will hinge more on who you're asking than how you ask.

If you were to ask me for an extension on a project in my class, I would politely decline the request. If you didn't understand what was required, you had plenty of time to ask me for clarification. And it was your group's responsibility to find time to do the project together (although this exact dynamic is why I myself hate group projects and almost never give them...and when I do give them, I require that each group member assess everyone's contribution to the project). But I know that's not what you want to hear.

*Because* your success will hinge more on who you're asking than on how you ask, I suggest asking directly and politely, with a minimum of story and explanation. "My group hasn't been able to meet, and I have questions on what is required that I haven't had time to get answered." would suffice for explanation.

And a warning: sometimes it actually *can* hurt to ask, especially depending on how the asking is done. If the professor gets a whiff that you think you should be entitled to extra time (even if you don't feel that way...they just get the sense that you do), their opinion of you could suffer...and you shouldn't want that.

I wish you luck!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always thought the group project thing in college is bullshit. I get the idea that it's supposed to mimic real-world experiences where you have difficult or uncooperative colleagues, but it's wrong, in my opinion, to take someone who is a hard worker and good student who is willing to do whatever's necessary, and penalize them because other random people stuck with them are too lazy, entitled, or incompetent to pull their own weight.

Now that the rant is over... you are pretty much stuck. I know people who have done the *entire* group project by themselves because no one else would lift a finger. That's wrong, and sends the wrong message to these lazy, entitled pieces of crap... but unfortunately it's the only way to not get dinged for your classmates' lack of work ethic.

My experience is that if the prof knows you and knows that in general you're a hard worker, they are usually pretty reasonable, unless it's a hard deadline imposed by the school (such as all work must be turned in by last day of class.) Failing that... is it possible you could do everything you can by yourself, turn in what you have, and write a note to the professor explaining what happened? No guarantees you won't get dinged anyway, but at least you can make your best effort.

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I did this once. I got quite a good grade and the other people didn't get one at all. If they're not really your friends, I'd go for this option. You've tried your best, too bad for them.

If you're gonna go with the email, though, what I'd do is not ask directly for an extension, but rather ask if there is anything at all you can do to still get a decent grade out of this. I find that if you don't directly ask for a specific solution, professors will give you a couple of options and are more likely to help you. That's just my experience, though.