1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a little help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TallButShort, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TallButShort

TallButShort Guest

Hi here is my current situation

Over the last 2 - 3 years or so i started to realize I'm not that into girls. In the beginning I thought nothing of it but later on it eventually (After a lot of thought and arguing) came to me that I am gay. The last few weeks has been a bit confusing :confused: followed by where I am now.

I live in a town where being gay is not generally accepted. My mom has nothing against LGBT people and even has some lesbian and gay friends. My dad on the other hand totally rejects the idea of same sex relationships and think it's just wrong. Also I share a bedroom with my younger brother (So much for privacy) wouldn't it be weird for him? My two closest friends don't mind gay people much as far as I am sure. Sometimes though they send out mixed reactions to people being gay or lesbian which just leaves me more confused. :tantrum:

Your family should always love you no matter who you are, right? And if your friends are real friends they wont mind me being gay? That's where I have a problem. There are a chance, and a fair one I hope, that they'll accept me just like I am. But I don't think I am prepared to be rejected. I still have 2 years of high school left and it would be ruined if my only friends rejected me. Worse would be if my parents didn't accept it. What would I do if I am frowned upon???

I know I could just hang out and not tell them but the need and fear is eating me up. I became so stressed my grades dropped with like 20%. And this week is an all time low for me :icon_sad: I want to come out to them and know that I can be seen with a guy without them thinking it weird. Just to have that freedom would be enough.

I just do not know how to begin to out myself. Should I just go and say : " Hey guess what I'm gay"? that would probably the easiest.

Aaaargh I am so confused! Can someone please :help:

2. Aquilo

Sadly it's a bit complicated.. Even family who love you can be disappointed if they're homophobic or uneducated. If you think your family is accepting you could try to come out, but it can be not the best thing to do if you're not independent yet and still in high school if they'd be really unaccepting. (I don't think your mom would be like this, since you say she has gay friends). Are there any lgbt-groups around you for support?

That's hard yes.. I think I told them that there's a guy I like. :/

I hope things'll turn out alright for you! (*hug*)

3. yes

yes

i'd try and bring up some lgbtq-related topic, and see how they respond to that, like gay marriage or whether gay couples should be allowed to adopt, something like that. to test the waters a bit, before you throw it out there. if their resond is fairly open-minded, you could go on to out yourself, which doesn't necessarily have to go well just cause they seem accepting of gay people - some people accept homosexuality as long as it's a distant phenomenon that's not part of their own lives - but it's more likely they'll accept you as well if they're like "yeah gay marriage's okay"

4. TallButShort

TallButShort Guest

Thanks's Yes that was really helpfull :slight_smile:

5. yes

yes

good luck and let us know how it goes!!