1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to come out to my Girlfriend and mother of my young child

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ClosetedFather, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 37 and in a relationship with a wonderful woman for over 3yrs now. She is the mother of my child and recently we bought a house together. My son is 2yrs old and as many father will understand... the best thing that ever happened to me. So here is the story....

About five years ago I was in a sexual relationship with a man I really liked and for the first time considered coming out and having a committed long term relationship with a man. It turns out he was in a long distant relationship with another man in NY. Shortly after that relationship ended I reunited with an old fling. A woman I had dated off and on probably 4 times in the last 10 years. She was great and fun and we always got along great. This time we got together was a little different in that she had really cleaned up her act as had I. Five months into the relationship she got pregnant. We talked about marriage but I suggested that we hold off and not ad to the stress as we had a lot to deal with emotionally at the time and she agreed. We felt it was better to concentrate on our relationship. That summer we had a wonderful baby boy. A year and a half later we bought a house together.

I have always intended on being open and honest with my girlfriend about my bisexuality. She is very gay friendly with several very close lesbian and gay friends. This of coarse doesn't mean she wants to be in a relationship with one. I would have hoped to come out to her before she ever got pregnant but that was a total surprise. Then the house thing just sorta happened very quickly and I wasn't able to get my shit together and come out before the purchase. I am getting pressure from many to get married and have another child but will not before coming out to her and working thru this if it is possible. Added to this I have been very distracted lately and in need of and outlet for my homosexual desires. Atleast the need to get out and somewhere where I feel comfortable expressing that side of myself. I really enjoy going to a gay bar and just having a drink amongst other like men. Its a safe place to show that side of myself. On the occasion I go out of town on business I try to go to a gay bar just for this outlet but that is a rarity. To add to this she has had a very low sexual drive since she gave birth leaving me constantly horny. I don't have sex with other men as I would not want to do anything to hurt her but I do enjoy my fantasies.

This weekend she got up early with my son and when she woke me up she asked why I had been searching for gay apps on my phone. Half a sleep I told her I didn't know what she was talking about and laid my head back down. She left it at that. This would have been a good time to come out but I was not awake enough to think clearly and my knee jerk reaction and many years of habit lead to the quick denial. I don't know how much she investigated because I had *** and *** both on that phone in a utilities app folder. I had conversations with men on both apps. I knew I shouldn't have these on my phone and had thought about deleting them several times but never did. Perhaps I wanted to be caught.... probably.

So here I am. I need to come out to girlfriend. I fear losing her. I fear I won't be able to tuck my son in bed every night and kiss him good morning everyday. I don't think I can be in a relationship with woman and abstain from sex with men. I don't know if i could be in a relationship the a man and abstain from sex with women for that matter. For this reason I have never believed in monogamy... Not for me atleast. Problem is my girlfriend is a die hard monogamist. This has left her hurt in almost every relationship she has been in. I do not want to do that to her. I look forward to hearing from others with similar situations or experiences.

#1 ClosetedFather, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  2. yes

yes

i think you need to really think this over before you do anything. like realising what's the most important for you, family or sexuality, as you say you won't be pleased to be in a relationship with a woman and abstain from sex with men, but still want to live with your son, whose mother's a monogamist.
    coming out to your girlfriend is something you'll probably want to do whatever else you end up deciding to do, so you could always do that and see how it goes.
    best of luck!

3. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the comment. I did really get ahead of myself in that post. Coming out is the first step really, it is very important for me to have an open and honest relationship with my girlfriend and ultimately my son. She needs to be know my issues so she can be included in the decision making. My greatest concerns lie with raising a my child. I look forward to hearing from other parents.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a mother of 3 boys and I'm with the father of my kids. However, we've been together off and on since I was 19 and I'm 26 now. When he and I first got together he knew that I liked girls, but as time passed, I became less interested in having sex with him. When I turned 20, I was almost sure that I was indeed gay, but I denied my feelings. We tried the family thing, but it didn't work so went our separate ways numerous times.

It wasn't until last year when I finally started to embrace my feelings for women. I've dated a few girls, but things didn't workout. And so, he had I decided to get back together. Things are okay, but I still like women; I actually prefer women, but I haven't had the best luck. He's okay with me seeing someone else, and I have to admit that he's the only guy that I would ever consider being with. If we were not together, I would exclusively date women. And with everything that's being going on, our kids are fine. They have met a girl that I was seeing before and they didn't think nothing of it. I'm still the same person for the most part. That's my story now, my advice to you would be to come out to your girlfriend. I can't tell you the next step because I'm not sure how she's going to respond to you.

If things don't go well you can still raise your son as a single father and then you'll be able to pursue a man later on down the line. (I was a single mother raising my kids and I still found time to date women. I usually prefer women who have kids as well). Then again, you could stay together and work something out. My kids father has learned to step outside the box and love me, all of me. He used to be homophobic and I'm like, ”How can you be homophobic when I like girls too?!”

I think I've rambled long enough, I think before you come out to her you should hint around. Good luck :slight_smile:

#4 pinklov3ly, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC. I'm a parent, having been married to my wife for 9 years before I came to realize I was gay and come out. We had two little girls together.

I didn't want to admit that I was attracted to men - because I wasn't sure either how it would affect my relationship. With me, I didn't remain faithful, which made it even more difficult to have the conversation. I'd recommend that you don't stray while you're still together. You'll feel better in the end for doing the right thing.

In my experience, what you're feeling isn't going to go away or get easier to deal with. It's likely to get more difficult to deal with.

Are you seeing a counsellor or therapist? I'd recommend finding someone to talk to about all this. Saying it out loud to someone else makes it real, and gives you some practice before you talk about it with your girlfriend. You'd also be able to work through how you're really feeling, and what you'd ultimately like to see happen to your relationship with your girlfriend and your son.

My wife and I separated but remain good friends. I still am involved in my kids' lives, even if I don't see them as often. They spend every other weekend with me as well as every other Thursday. I live just 10 minutes away, so I am able to attend school concerts, parent teacher nights, etc. This is what was best for us, because I identify as gay - not bi. I am now married to a wonderful man, and the thought of being with a woman never enters my head. So your situation, and what you ultimately want from it, will be different from mine.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to write back - here or in a personal message to me.

6. nydtc

I think you need to spend some time thinking about your life and what you want out of it. I would guess, your 1st answer is to be a great Dad. That's what you can be!
    Now - you don't want to lose the GF - but I will note a couple of things from your post:
    1. While you talk about buying a house/ having a child - there is little discuss of your love for this woman. Maybe you left it went without saying - just seemed like a strange omission.
    2. You have been a relationship with her for a while and yet you have keep to VERY large secrets. Your sexuality and the monogamy things. Seems like BIG gaps in honestly department.
    3. Will you lose her? I don't know but no matter how hard it is to bring these topics up - its going to be easier than her finding you cheating ( with a man or a woman)- rage is no place to begin a conversation if you know what I mean.
    Plus - Having found the apps - I have to believe that she knows something is not right at home.