1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the best time to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HP7465213, Nov 19, 2012.

1. HP7465213

Hi, sorry if a similar thread has already been created, but I searched and nothing came up :/

When do you think is the best time to come out to family?
    - age?, years of school?, living independently?, living with parents?, etc.

Just curious as to what EC members have to say about this topic.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, you're really cool! Most forum goers wouldn't search first. You must be a Linux forum user!

This is gonna sounds like a silly and trite answer. But I'll just say when you're ready. It's when you can answer these questions:

1) Am I sure what my gender is?
    2) Am I sure what my romantic orientation is?
    3) Am I sure what my sexual orientation is?
    4) Do I have at least a few people who will support me if things go badly?
    5) Will my parents support me?

If you can answer yes to (1) through (4), then I think you're ready to come out if you're not living with your parents, or you have a place to go if you are rejected. (LGBT homelessness due to parental abandonment is a very real problem. Not to scare you more, but I do think realistic knowledge is important to everyone.) If you can't say yes to (5), then you need to get to the point that you're either out of the house or otherwise financially independent (which includes being out of the house and through post-secondary education if that's the path you're on).

Please let me know if you ever need help or encouragement.

3. Fluffy Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It really depends. Some people haven't excepted it themselves. Some people are admit it when they 13 or when their in their 20s and 30s and later. I seen that usually people come out in high school but some people come out in middle school. Also with living. It depends how fanatic your parents are. Some parents are extremely crazy and their are others who really could care less.

My parents don't know but are very liberal so im not worried. I go to a catholic school in Idaho. Im 13 and out to some of my friends. just make sure the people that you tell are going to be accepting.

4. Average Joe

The most important aspects have already been mentioned.

I'd say once you

- are sure of your sexuality
    - live indepedently or have a back up place to stay in case your parents don't react well
    - have some people who will support you.

I really don't think there's one good answear to your question. How do you think your parents would take the news?

5. Lewis

Well as you seem sure of your sexuality, I think the best time to come out is when it feels right or when a good opportunity to do so comes along. I've never planned any of my coming outs, they just happened in the moment.

Like the previous posts have stated, make sure you have a support system (friends, other family members etc.) before telling your parents. You can never be too sure that they'll take it well or not.