1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to Come Out completely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alright so i have decided that i am ready to come out completely. The problem is i am just not quite sure how to go about doing it. Everyone who knows has taken a vow of secrecy not to tell anyone about it and i honestly don't think that they are going to go blab my secret to anyone.

I really don't want to just walk into my class and announce it for fear of seeming like i am a sterotype flamboyant gay person. I would definitly tell someone if they asked or if the subject came up. The problem is the subject never seems to come up. Today i was walking by a poster for an LGBT survey with little rip off tags at the bottom with two of my straight guy friends who don't know, so thinking quickly i just decided to go for it and i ripped one of the tags off casualy and stuffed it in my pocket. One of my friends noticed this but since i often do some wierd and just plain odd things for laughs they saw it as i was just joking and really thought nothing of it so i made absolutly no progress there.

I really really just want to come out completely but i just don't know how to do it without starting to act like a stereotype which is the last thing that i would ever want to do. If anyone can give advice from your own personal experiences of coming out completely i would really appreciate the help.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Are you on MySpace or Facebook? If so, then change your sexual orientation to gay on there. That's how I did it. Also, tell your friends that they are no longer sworn to secrecy. Then just don't lie about it. Just because not many people know doesn't mean you are still in the closet. As long as you aren't trying to hide your homosexuality, you don't need to parade it around for all to see.

3. NathanHaleFan

First of all, congratulations!

Wait until it comes up when you're with a few (five or more) people you don't know, then just say it. Now a lot of people know, and you can just let word of mouth carry it to everybody. No need to come out to everybody at once.

4. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    an add in the local newspaper might be a good one :wink:

5. KatoKumi

To be subtle about it, I wear pins of rainbows and cutesy-girly stuff on my bag. Not really because I'm gay, but because I like it. And people kinda picked up that I was. And I used to go "boy-scouting" with my friends. Like randomly when I'm with them, I'd point at someone and just say "Oh that guy's cute."

And it was fun when they were surprised.
    This was like, way after I was comfortable with it.
    So yeah, lol.

Don't go shouting it from the rooftops. xD
    Just say yes if people ask you, and hint it in that direction, I guess.

6. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I wear pink and blue armbands, but so far only 2 people have really noticed them. One person I borrowed them from and the other person was in the room when I borrowed them. Yeah definitely a pink and blue bracelet is too suddle, ya gotta get some rainbow shit. Even if you don't like rainbows, which I particularly do not, its better than picking up a lisp

7. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think being completely out just means that you're 100% honest about it. I don't think you really have to "do" anything. It just means not denying it or putting on a face anymore. It means doing whatever you want as a gay individual. For instance, changing your status on facebook and just telling people if ever your love life comes up. It doesn't mean flaunting it, and doesn't have to. It's just being comfortable is all.

8. sapphicvariety

I started off slowly, telling friends one by one until I had a contingency of about 10-15 friends who I knew were totally okay with it. Then I just sort of let them leak it to the general public. This worked I think because the people spreading it were my friends so I knew it wouldn't be put out in the form of some nasty gossip. Also it was good to know that I had a relatively big group of people to support me.

Also, I think someone said something about changing your orientation on facebook or myspace or what have you, and that helps a lot too.

9. Hollywood

What I did was tell everyone that I wouldn't want to hear from anyone but me and then changed my Facebook "Interested In." If you know a lot of people then word travels fast.

10. Wired106

I guess if you want attention you can where a pink shirt and write I'm gay on the back in big black letters lol. I would probably just post a thing on facebook though, and just change my orientation status to gay. That would be the easiest. Good Luck! :wink:

11. jocr92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well you could just say one thing. to one friend. thats what i did. and my confidence grew a lot. and i was able to tell some of my other friends and i feel alot better about myself. i feel that im not living a lie and i feel im not lying to my best friends anymore.

12. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Say yes if anyone tells you, and give a lot of subtle (and not-so-subtle) hints to everyone. ALSO, tell the class loudmouth, and let them spread the news. It'll be all over like wildfire.

13. Lefty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had a similar problem when I wanted to come out to everyone. I didn't want to be annoying about it and just go around telling everyone. I ended up just changing my Facebook and being honest whenever something related comes up. I think it's a subtle way to do it but it gets noticed, especially since changes to your profile show up on the mini-feed thing, so curious people might want to take a look at what you've changed.

14. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. After telling the last of my friends who i didn't want to find out through gossip i decided to let the information leak through one of my good friends. I am not sure if she has told anyone yet, but i am sure she probably will because she is very out spoken and many of her friends are very into gossip.

My facebook has said that i am "Interested in" men for a while but i never had any friends who didn't know and kept it secret. Plus i made mine after the entire school already had their facebook accounts so no one really knew i had one. However just an hour ago for the first time someone from my year and my school added me as a friend and i suspect it may be because the fact that i am gay reached her because to be perfectly honest i didn't even recognize this girl. So whether she was told or not she knows now and since she is not someone that i know very well it is possible that i may be Out as soon as tommorow.

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

you could always start wearing a rainbow badge - when people ask you about it, say you got it from your gay youth group. :grin: short and sweet...