1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Angry!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Feb 13, 2008.

1. So today I thought one of my "friends" was an actual friend. Turns out I was wrong. My "friend" Maddie was talking to another girl, Marissa, today, they got on the subject of homosexuality. Marissa said she was disgusted by f**s. I turned and said "excuse me!?!" she said yeah they are gross. I asked why. she said she was hit on by a lesbian before. I was like "ok? you told them you are straight right?" she said yeah. Maddie then jumped in and said they are gross and are all going to hell because they made the wrong "choice" in life. I exploded after that. I was so mad, I told maddie to stop saying that b/c my uncle is gay(she doesn't know about me). She then told me I was gonna rot in hell w/him b/c I support him. It was a good thing the bell rang right after that cause I was gonna rip her damn face off! Normally I am pretty timid, but I was FURIOUS!! Also, she started to ask my other "friends" about it at lunch. They ALL took her side. ALL. (the only one at school who knows about me doesn't sit w/us b/c he doesn't believe in god and they try to force him to.) so now I am angry and sad and ARRRGGHHH!!!!!:bang: :bang:

2. Urman

Urman Guest

Ok breath.. that is peoples ignorance and no matter where u go u will encounter it.First i would try to keep my distance from her u do not need those negtive influnces around u.Try to figure out who u can really trust.

3. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

Its ok...most of the "closed minded" people you will encounter are young and ignorant thinking homosexuality is someones "choice" when infact that person cannot control or force the feelings out of their head about what they are attracted too...alot of older people who encounter people to people social situations and interactions everyday are more knowledgeable and know being gay isnt a choice and that you are born that way...but their are still older people who are closed minded aswell...so watch out...i dunno what to tell you...i would be pretty angry too:icon_sad:

4. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are absolutely right. People that are not accepting of who you are cannot be your true friends. Kick that booty to the curb and move on.

5. Problem is all of them are like that but 1, I don't exactly fit in w/ his other friends.

6. BabyBoy

Oh my. If that was me, the bell would have rung, and everybody would have walked out of the room except for her. She'd be laying there, lifeless, and people would assume she studied too much and fell asleep.

Not really, but damn she's a fuckin bitch. What an ignorant asshole. I can't beleive she'd say gay people made the wrong choice and then say you're gonna rot in hell with your uncle cuz you support him. Umm....well....duh bitch. It's my uncle. Wtf. (Even though it was you, not your uncle, that just makes the situation worse) What I do with people like her, is just let them continue being ignorant dumb assholes, then when a situation comes where I can prove them wrong, I do it, and shut them up, as quickly as possible. From what I can tell, she's extra stupid, so it'll be easy to shut her up.

7. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Sounds like you need more tolerant friends. If your "friends" don't support you on this subject then why would they support YOU on ... that other subject?
    I say try to convince them otherwise and if they don't buy it then get new friends. If they aren't willing to be reasonable about someone they don't know then how can you expect them to be reasonable with you?

8. Jace

fuckers.

i hate bitches who talk like that in school she should be flattered that anyone wwould want to hit on her

9. tiptoerainbows

*hugs* that must've been hard for you to sit there through that and not do anything extreme. I guess it is a good thing that you found out how Maddie feels on this situation before you came out to her.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, I know how you feel. My Dad said the same thing to me. All I can tell you is to be strong and know these people are coming from total ignorance. (*hug*)

11. justjoshoh

That sounds like dogma to me. People are fed ignorance early and often in life. It takes a great deal of time for some of them to overcome ignorance and progress. Some have suggested violence, though that will not solve anything. Our message needs to be of peace and good will. If we can act as a catalyst for change, we may prove to be the force that allows them to do so.

12. TriBi

^ Josh beat ne to it.

I was going to say that very often people of that age hold that sort of viewpoint because they have been indoctrinated into it (by parents/church etc) - and they haven't yet had the life experience to know that their 'indoctrination' is a load of crap.

Ignore it - don't bother with them. In the short term you are unlikely to change them. Work on the friends who have been brought up as more open minded/accepting - leave the ones who aren't till later - much later. When they find you have a heap of friends who take you for the person that you are (and find your sexuality irrelevant)...well, they might just have to rethink.

Even if they don't - by that time you probably won't need their acceptance anyway :wink:

13. Louise

*give's a big hug* I would definately talk to your friends about this one by one away from Marissa and find out how they really feel. They might have sided with her because of her virulance on the matter, maybe they didn't dare go against her and possibly have her turn on them.

You could just bring it up in a casual way saying, wow I didn't realise Marissa felt so strongly, I don't really mind if someone is gay, sort of thing and try to get their true opinions. You might be pleasantly surprised and find one or two slightly more open minded people in your group.

We as weak humans tend to go with the masses and if you have one strong person shouting, disgusting, go burn in the fires of damnation, you will be surprised how many weak people will line up behind them chanting the same thing but not necessarily feeling the same way. They do it just to fit in, to get into the alpha male/female's good books.

Give it a try. Good luck :kiss:

14. Well today at lunch was a living hell. They all stated to like hate me for what I said yesterday. Also, louise they are all very strong christians and they are very homophobic. So yeah I made the decision to not fully come out till I go to college. I would've sat with my other friend but I don't fit in with them, they're all emo and I am kind of the good who does what he's told, so now I feel kinda alone.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Despite me being atheist on the verge of anti-theist, I have to advise you not to be so quick to associate devout Christianity with homophobia and close-mindedness. We've all seen what the likes of the WBC can do, but not all of them are that hateful. Give them a chance before making such general statements, but don't associate with people who are as ignorant as the ones you describe.

16. Thing is my friends all discussed this already. I didn't say anything at the time, but it did result in me coming out to my other friend. Yeah they all have a strong dislike of gays.

#16 nintenfreak92, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  17. panda

Be strong and carry on. Be yourself.

18. Alex89

People will always fear or hate what they don't know - black people, Islamic people, homosexual people, even the "witch" burnings in the middle ages...basically any minority group they are not a part of until they understand it. It's a basic human instinct to be repelled by people who are different, and seeking to understand it is the best someone can do so they can accept it.

They have been brought up with extreme christian views and have not had someone they've known was a part of the homosexual minority group to educate them on reality, not assumptions from those outside the particular group.

When you're ready to come out, be prepared to defend yourself against the beliefs they hold and try to re-educate them. You'll know if they are real friends if they listen, but if they flat-out refuse to listen or accept there's not much you can do.

19. Wired106

That sucks. I hate people like that. Some friends are so cool and they seems like they are your best friends and you guys have a ton of fun together and hang out but once the subject of orientation comes up they are hella mean. I don't get it. If your having fun and hang out a ton with your friends then they find out your gay, why do they get all mad and say stupid crap like that? Your still the same, arnt you? That exact situation happened to me but my friend said he was freaked out but he didn't find out I was gay because I covered it up.

20. Louise

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) :icon_sad: I am sorry to hear that your friends are so closed minded. I was hoping for your sake that it was just a 'crowd' phenomena where people get carried away by the crowd and stop thinking for themselves.

I don't know what to say... that's a first for me :lol: . Keep strong, keep proud and keep your own council!

Even if your friends are homophobic can they at least accept that you have the right to your own opinion? Then you can turn the page on this discussion by saying , 'yeah well that's your opinion, I don't think like that.' and leave it at that.

It is always a slap in the face to realise the people you thought of as friends are so shallow. (*hug*)