1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Derogatory Language in Middle and High Schools

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pink Sparkles, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pink Sparkles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey. I'm Maya and I'm kind of new here. :slight_smile:

I noticed this problem in middle and high schools and I am wondering if there are people who agree with me. I have talked to people who don't have much of an opinion.

I go to a small school and I can count all of the LGBT students using half of one hand (the number is smaller if you count the ones who are out). There are three girls, one (who is bisexual, not really out, and a close friend), another bisexual girl, and me (I'm a lesbian). That's it for the entire school.
    I have heard people use bad language before, but it seems like it keeps getting worse. Sure, they put cameras in the building. There's four in one short hallway. Most of the disrespectful and derogatory comments and name calling take place outside and away from the cameras. Teachers are nearby, but they never hear anything.

I'm not going to name the specific words, since just thinking them makes me uncomfortable, but they are very wrong and I am sure that most people have heard them before.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? I try to stop them and explain why it's so offensive, but they don't care.

What should I do? :help:

2. AAASAS

Understand that someone that doesn't belong to a minority group can't ever fully understand what it feels like to be called a derogatory name. To them it is less severe as they don't understand the emotions that come up when those words are uttered. So they aren't all that bad, they are just extremely ignorant.

If they aren't open to understanding how it effects other people then maybe they are just bad people? I have explained some things to some people, and for the most part they just agreed with me. I was more talking about racist words, however it is the same principle, the same feelings of alienation and self hate come up.

So basically someone that uses these words aren't necessarily bad, and if they don't want to understand why what they are doing is wrong, or at least respect you enough to not say it around you, then they clearly are either too immature at the moment and just need time to get some more worldly experience, or they are just naturally horrible people.

The majority of people are good, but there are some genuine pricks out there that you just can't avoid, and you can at least take comfort in knowing that these people are the jokes of society and you aren't.

At least you took the time to try and explain to them what they were doing is wrong.

#2 AAASAS, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012