1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spirituality and Selflessness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Westward, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Westward

Has anyone here had success or any experience with spirituality easing their orientation struggles? Sometimes I think all of my struggles wouldn't be so big if I focused less on myself and more on God, or helping others. I feel like I'm letting my issues rule my life, and becoming self centered in the process... I'm also developing anxiety and health issues which I believe are from my deep unhappiness.

I'm a little past the point on trying to believe myself straight, but if anything, maybe I could find some peace... Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Ticklish Fish

I used to be slightly maniac on the selflessness and not helping self... it's not healthy either.
    helping people is okay, but if you're not doing well yourself, step back and approach your issues. Another approach is, issues rule your life because you're not dealing with it but focus your energy on helping people... you speak of deep unhappiness, how do you help people if you are unhappy? with a fake happy face?

and I don't get the second paragraph... are you saying you are trying to pray to be straight, or something?

3. Westward

Thanks for your thoughts Ticklish Fish! I know I need to approach my own issues, I was just thinking maybe spirituality might help me do that. And I agree I need to be in a good spot myself before I try to help others. As for the second paragraph, I meant to say I'm done trying to pray to be straight, yes.

4. Koan

Koan Guest

Finding meaning in life is a very good thing, and spirituality has certainly helped me.

Personally, I'd be a bit wary about trying to use selflessness and spirituality to combat lack of self-acceptance. I think you need to reclaim your entire self, even the things you regard as 'not good'.

In her book, 'The dark side of light chasers' Debbie Ford exactly describes how some people are so focused on doing good and being good that they repress certain aspects of themselves. This in turn means, that they have an entire side of themselves hidden and ready to act out (just think of Tiger Woods and his nice guy image). It also means a lack of energy.

Try reading the book for another perspective :slight_smile:

5. Bree

Finding meaning-type spirituality yes. I don't think that organized religion would necessarily help, but I may be biased. Perhaps try signing up for some kind of volunteer work? Take yoga classes? Go to a pride event?