1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She's gone and made me uncertain again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GlindaRose, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'She' is my mum, and something happened when I came out to her that's made me feel really uncertain about...well...pretty much everything.

When I told her I'm homosexual, she was like, "Yeah but I've seen a psychic and everything she said has so far come true, and she said she could see my daughter getting married and having kids, which wouldn't happen if you're a lesbian".

As things happen, I am a great believer in all this psychic stuff, but I tried putting things into perspective by telling her that there could be a thousand ways of interpereting that piece of information. Marriage = to a girl; have kids = adoption. However, her interperetation of that piece of information seems so much more likely than mine that it's made me feel really paranoid that things might change in the future (Remember I told you guys she said 'Mark my words it will change when you go to Wells').

So now I am full of 'what if's. Like, what if things really did change at Wells and I did end up liking a guy, therefore making me bi rather than gay, therefore proving my mum right and me wrong after it took me all that time (2 years) to come out to myself? And also, how would I tell the other people I've come out to? My bi friend. My online friends. My mum herself.

2. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Most of this psychic stuff is hocus pocus bullshit. Don't let it change who you are, or make you doubt yourself.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rizpaz...I would say that but I am a strong believer in this psychic stuff. And spiritual stuff. So I can't ignore it that easily.

4. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe in psychic stuff, but I believe in positive and negative energy signals that can be sent between two people. If you really want to believe in psychic stuff, then ask yourself these questions:

Compared to others, how "credible" is the psychic who gave you that information?
    Are you sure that there are no other interpretations?
    Are you sure you're not bisexual?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok well here's my answers to those questions.

1.) The psychic must be pretty credible if so far everything else she said has come true. But I wouldn't know because it's my mum who's had all the readings not me, so I have nothing to compare anything to.

2.) Like I said, I do believe there are other interperetations, and this is what I'm most dearly hoping for.

3.) Like my mum said, "I believe everyone's capable of bisexuality", but I'm leaning a lot more towards the 'gay' side of things than the 'bi' side of things.

6. panda

Heatqueen. Just live your life with what you believe.Be who and what you are.The future will unfold in it's own time.I'm not a strong believer in psychics, but who really knows.
    The decision as to where you are on the gay/bi thing doesn't have to happen today.I feel that it's an evolving scale,that in time will be clearer.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't think you have to put your trust into everything psychics say to be a believer in this stuff. I mean they are human afterall and you are right, it can be interupted differently than what your mom perceives it to be. Maybe you should ask your mom if you can see the psychic yourself and see what she has to say. Even if this psychic is right, sounds like you are going to be happy! That's great!

8. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Becky and panda are right! Nothing really matters as long as you are happy. And if you found happiness with a guy after all, labeling yourself as gay or bi should be the least of your cocerns!! Don't try to prove your mother wrong and also don't let yourself be influenced by what the psychic predicted. Just do what you feel is right :icon_bigg

9. biisme

Do you know the other things she said would come true? They could have been generalizations.

And there ARE a ton of other ways for you to have kids.
    Adoption. Family member's death (not nice scenario). Foster kids. Artificial insemination. Science (judging by some stuff i just read where they might be able to turn stem cells from bone marrow into ANY cell...ie: sperm)

10. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

i personally dont belive in that physic stuff...if that stuff was real how come they dont step forward and prevent someone famous from gettin assassinated such as JFK? that stuff is balonie....anyway...not to seem ignorant or arrogent or mean...but it seems like young ppl these days are so eager to Label their sexuality at such a young age...iv seen 12-13 year olds on here declare that they are gay....when i was that age i didnt think about anything but toys and stuff...yet alone even know what gay was....i think the way ppl are growing up has changed dramatically...im not even old and iv seen teh changes taken place...i think ppl need to just enjoy their youth while it lasts and not worry about labeling themselves as GAY or Straight and just take some time figuriing it out...

11. llenadepecas

Yep, i definitely agree with the different interpretation things. Arent psychics like horoscopes? So general their stuff can apply to anything? I know you really believe what shes said, so if its gonna happen, its gonna, so what can you do about it? If shes seen the future, hasnt how you are now been factored into that? Thats what i think anyway. Whats wells?

12. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah thanks for the advice everyone..I think my problem is, as usual, I'm worrying far too much about things that don't matter. Probably one of the things I need to do is just forget about it and live my life however it suits me and worry about it only when I actually need to do so. It's not as if my sexuality is in a crisis situation or anything and there are other factors to life besides one's sexuality..so yeah, thanks, the advice was helpful. :slight_smile:

13. Psychedelic Bookmarks

also, even if you're bi... it doesn't matter :slight_smile: so long as you are yourself, it doesn't even matter if you end up straight! :wink: (shock horror! :wink:)

14. llenadepecas

Wells? Anyone?

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Wells Cathedral School...my next school.

16. Zec24

Heatqueen,

Not to sound mean or anything, and I'm not trying to put down psychic stuff, but that sounds like a very generalized version of a future and very stereotypical if you ask me. That is what most people believe will happen, so I don't feel like the psychic theory is groundbreaking. The good thing as you yourself pointed out is that its ambiguous enough to be interpreted many different ways.

As to whether you are gay or bi, that will sort itself out. I still wonder if someday I'll meet some guy I like, and that bothers me to no end so I understand how you feel. I've taken the time and gone through the pain of coming out to my parents and my dad's parents so I'd hate to have to go back and explain to them "well you see, sexuality is fluid..." The thing is, if you worry about what other people think then you will never find what truly makes you happen. I'm still working on that part myself.

Getting back to figuring out if you are bi/gay, this seems to work for me. I usually put a lot of stock into natural reactions, ones I have when I'm not thinking or expecting something. All my natural tendencies seem to be attractions to other females, so for now I'll consider myself gay. In 22 years I can honestly say I've never wanted a relationship with a male, not that I don't like guys, they just don't give me "that" feeling. I've never gotten overly excited to see one, now I can tell when one looks attractive and appreciate that but then it doesn't do anything for me. So I guess what I'm rather long-windedly saying is, pay attention to your natural ques and tendencies, trust yourself and do what makes you happy.

17. panda

DON'T WORRY. BE HAPPY.

18. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

you are exactly right heartqueen...you decide who you are when you really need to...but at the moment enjoy life...their is so much to do and enjoy without worrying about that topic...

ps...have you considered this...that your mum knows that you strongly belive in psychic ways..maybe she knows this and is telling you this story of you meeting a boy and getting married because thats what she wants ...so she is making the whole visiting a psycic up just to try to brainwash you into liking boys...all in all...you know who you are at the end of the day ..and not her..:lol: dont change urself just because she tells a story

19. Wired106

lol haha :wink:

20. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol no I know she's not just telling me a story because I've heard something like that before..I'm a believer because she is...but yeah it's so damn generalized. Zec24 you just made a very good point, one that I completely didn't see..so thanks. :grin: lol and don't worry you're not being mean. :grin: