1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I call myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by madi, Nov 24, 2012.

1. madi

I am unsure of what to call myself anymore. I am attracted to men and women. I was in a long term relationship with a guy whom I was in love with. I don't know if I can be with a guy though. I want to marry a girl. I feel like no guy will ever be able to understand me fully and me him. I don't know if I could ever completely trust a guy and live out my life with him. In all the opposite-sex couples I see it seems like there is a gap between them, like they will never understand each other.
    I find guys attractive, though less so than girls, and I have even been in love with a guy, but I just don't know anymore.
    I don't know if I am just leaning more towards girls now or if it's just because of the bad experience I've had with men. I have been exposed to abuse and dishonesty with men so that may be have contributed.
    What do you think? :shrug:

2. Deaf Not Blind

well, I am a guy so I am biased! :grin:

And I am a Washingtonian too, so I know the kinds of guys in our state.

I think you are bi. But you are also 16, so things you like today will change. Just like the kinds of foods you like will change.

Yeah labels help us figure out stuff, but at same time they box us into a place we may need to escape from later.

If you are attracted to men, and like them, but had a bad experience with one or more, yeah I can see where you would feel...eh. I am sure if I had a bad experience with either gender it would color my perceptions a lot.

So maybe just say you like kind people. Then you don't push away the guy of your dreams if he comes...because wouldn't that be a shame if you did only because you forced yourself into a box and labeled it because of one guy who was a jerk?

PS. Please don't hate all men cuz of him...we are not all bad.

3. madi

hahaha thanks this is helpful :slight_smile: and I don't hate all guys lol I have a lot of guy friends I'm just not sure if I want a romantic relationship with one, but I will take your advice and just let myself fall for who I fall for and not worry so much about gender :slight_smile:

4. Deaf Not Blind

Awesome!

So when you are all grown up, and find this wonderful person, pop in a note to me which gender it ends up! :grin:

5. A common question people ask gays is "Did you have a bad relationship with a girl?" A question that I dislike.

Now back to you, I don't think you should let one guy ruin it for the rest. Likely, your sexuality is independent of your past relationships; the past only helps you realize who you are.

6. i had a bad experience with a woman one time. it didnt put me off women just put me off dating for a while.

you dont have to stick a label on yourself, just go with the flow. if youre into women right now then so be it. if youre into both later on then so be it. if youre into men later on then so be it. it doesnt really matter aslong as youre happy :slight_smile:

7. madi

lol I'll make sure to let you know

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2012 at 05:55 PM ----------

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2012 at 05:57 PM ----------

I've heard people say "people are only gay because of bad experience with the opposite gender." I think it may have been sigmund freud who said it was something about an overbearing mother and distant father? Complete bull, sorry for enforcing it a little.