1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would gladly have sex just to keep my boyfriend, even if I prefer women

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tapsilog2012, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Just to clear up any confusion, I live with my ex boyfriend. I work two jobs and he is in school full time and we cant afford to live apart this semester because the government didnt give him enough money to get through the semester.

My ex boyfriend knows that I can only orgasm and enjoy sex if I think about other women while we are having sex. At first he didnt mind it but now he says it hurts him that I cant think about him. He basically said there is no way we can ever be together again.

If I could have it my way, I think I would try harder to just have sex with him to fulfill his needs, so he would be calmer and stuff (these days hes constantly angry and yelling):confused: That way as long as I put it as a priority to have sex with him we could stay together.

But he refuses it now because he is more convinced Im gay than I am, I think.

2. Juggalo

No offense, but why are you sleeping with an ex? The way I'm reading this is that you are sleeping with him in an attempt to keep household aggression low so that you can both live together. I don't think it is healthy to do this, even if you are unsure about your sexuality. It sounds like he isn't comfortable. My opinion is to have a talk with him and discuss how you can get along without any sexual relations for the sake of keeping your home. Again, I am sorry if I misinterpreted what you have written.

3. I would advise against having sex with him because the feelings aren't true. But there are some things that are not quite clear to me. I know you two are living together, but in what way do you want to keep him (keep him as a boyfriend, keep him in the house so that he's not homeless)? If you mean that you want to keep him as a boyfriend, then I also advise against that. He knows that the feelings are not true, and you should not try to force him to think otherwise. Second, I was confused about whether you want to "keep" him as in physically keep him around the house, and that having sex would be a way to calm him down. I would just leave him alone (sexually) and try to be his friend and understand his feelings. He's probably feeling a lot of betrayal and anguish.

4. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I just meant to keep our relationship going, I guess I meant to "keep things the way they were". And I DO understand his feelings. Im completely racked with guilt and depression 24-7 over this. If I think about how much Ive hurt him I want to kill myself.

I would do ANYTHING just to go back in time and back in the closet, or even better, back in time to before we were going out.

Its just I have no friends and no family, Im so alone. I guess thats all I deserve for lying, even though I DIDNT EVEN KNOW I WAS GAY MYSELF.

I feel like a piece of trash that gets tossed from place to place. I dont understand what I do to make people hate me so much.

5. redstormrising

I can definitely understand feeling responsible for his pain, but you didn't do it on purpose and didn't even know yourself that you were gay, so it's not exactly the same as lying. in any case, you can't unring a bell, so the only thing you can do is move forward from this point. although it might make things easier in the short term to maintain the status quo with your relationship, in the long run, it will be worse for both of you. You both deserve partners who both love you and enjoy having sex with you, and neither of you will find that if you stay together. It's going to be unpleasant for a bit, but try to ride it out. Trying to appease him won't do either of you any good.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you're having sex with him for the wrong reasons. You don't owe him sex. You're not here to provide sex for his mental health. Sex is for mutual spiritual enrichment. If it's not mutual because you can only enjoy it if you fantasize about women, then you're not engaged, it's for him and not you, and that's a problem.

7. cant you move in with a friend or even your parents/family?

sleeping with him doesnt sound like a good thing to do as you dont seem into it. both people should benefit not just one. im gunna sound harsh him not getting enough money, isnt your problem. if the place is in your name then he should move out, if the place is in his name then you should.... living with someone is one thing but sleeping with them out of guilt is another. if he is voilent/angry then you should leave thats not the best situation to live in.

8. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yeah I definitely want to move out, its just the situation is very complicated, I relied on him for a while when I was unemployed, so this is payback. My 2 jobs are also very part time and unreliable and I'd have to sit down and crunch numbers to figure out if I could afford rent on another place.

I have severe anxiety issues which require me to have more privacy sometimes than the average person, so living in cramped quarters with roommates is out. Obviously I will most likely need roommates in order to be able to afford anything but Im gonna have to pick and choose well to avoid my anxiety triggers.

I have no family (estranged from everyone due to them denying some very intense and prolonged abuse from my dad that lasted my whole childhood). I also have no friends that I am close to enough that I could rely on.

Im planning to try and go back to school starting in January, then can move out in February using a student loan. A job with enough hours is disgustingly unavailable, I tried for a couple of years to find one, so this honestly seems like a good option even though Im in debt.

On an unrelated note Im up in the middle of the night with a massive earache from a cold Ive been battling. My problem solving ablities arent exactly up to speed when Im sick and in pain :frowning2:

9. Monmon

Monmon Guest

There is a woman out there for you. It's not right to have sex with someone for an ulterior motive, never was. It's not fair to you, nor to your ex boyfriend. Can't imagine how gross it is having sex with someone who doesn't turn you on a bit. You must have the stomach of a courtesan.

Could you not live together without having sex? If you don't have sex, he turns violent, but if you have sex and he knows you don't think of him, he gets hurt. I don't get it. I thought you're only doing sex to keep him calm, why does it have to involve feelings? Can't he be tamed by meaningless sex?

10. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

We've actually only had sex once since I came out in July, for several months I was saying it wasnt right anymore and he was trying to iniitiate. Something scared me and made me want to go back in the closet.

@Monmon if you think that's gross, you should have seen some my exes. This guy actually IS really good looking. I honestly have no idea how I had sex with some of my exes.

I guess somewhere along the way I learned to have sex with guys to get them to pay attention to and like me, which is totally unfair I know. But somehow I learned this.

To me too, it doesnt feel "meaningless". Before I came out, it basically felt like I was doing him a favor, and I really care about him so I dont mind doing favors for him.

Somehow I believed this is what all women felt for their boyfriends/husbands. Then again, Ive hardly had any close female friends to compare experiences with. My best female friend growing up is bisexual, and another best female friend I used to hang out with I had a massive crush on and tried to make out with all the time.:icon_redf Most of my closer friends have been straight men.

I realize how ridiculous this belief about sex is now, but I honestly thought (before I came out) that my behavior was normal.

#10 tapsilog2012, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think you're doing the best you can since you're unable to move. I don't think you're obligated to have sex with your ex unless you want to. I can sense your guilt, but please don't feel bad. If he's allowing himself to be put in that situation then he knows the risks that come along. I can understand your situation because mine is similar. I prefer women too, but I can appreciate men--occasionally (I'm dating a guy and a girl and they're aware of my feelings), which is why my orientation is homoflexible. The guy I'm with now, I've known him since I was 15 and we have kids together, so he means a lot to me. He's been there for me through my entire struggle with my sexuality.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but he's the only guy that I can see myself with. I usually date women exclusively, but I decided to give things another try with a man. I think you're on the right track, it just takes longer for some of us to fully accept things the way they are in life. I think you should talk to him about how you feel, but he doesn't want to have sex anymore then what's the problem? I think you should take time for yourself, meet someone new and have fun. You have a lot going on and extra stress isn't good for your mental health. I hope you feel better :slight_smile:

#11 pinklov3ly, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  12. Katelynn

THIS right here is what worries me. I will tell you right now, even if you were able to do whatever he wished of you as far as sex was concerned, he probably wouldnt stop being constantly angry & yelling. You said he is a student, so my guess is, the issues you & he have are not the only stressors causing him to be so angry, so trying to solve this by just having sex with him isnt going to make his anger go away, if anything - it may make him angrier, since he knows you are gay & he may feel as if you are just playing with his emotions. Honestly hun, you are gay, you know you are gay as does he. Having sex with someone you are not attracted to simply to keep the peace or make someone else happy or calm them down or any other reason you can think of is a disastrous idea. And you shouldnt have to make sex a priority in this relationship - he is your ex & he's not your type, so why would you put his needs above your own?

Also, Im a bit confused by the title of your thread as well. You are gay & yet you have referred to your ex-bf as your bf, which says to me that, possibly in a very small way, you arent ready to let him go, not in a sexual sense, but perhaps in a romantic sense, as you seem very very concerned about him. While this isnt a bad thing to be concerned for your ex's well-being, it just seems that in the way you worded your thread, that perhaps you may be having a hard time letting go of your emotional connection with your ex-bf, which is perfectly normal, Im sure! (*hug*)

In a perfect situation, Id say move out, but since you've explained that that isnt possible bc of financial reasons, my advice is this - DRAW CLEAR BOUNDARIES, emotionally, physically & sexually, with your ex & make it clear to him that, even tho you both still live together, you ARE NOT together, he can be a friend & maybe even a close friend, etc, but he is no longer your bf. You also seem to be supporting him financially, so you may also want to spell out that you are NOT his mother either & you are not there to support him financially in every aspect of his academic career. My best suggestion, if you want him to be less angry, is to help him find a part-time or student job so he can be a bit less financially dependant on you. My guess is one of the reasons he is so angry & stressed is bc he feels as if he has no control over his life, and losing his relationship with you may have just magnified those feelings even further.

Hope some of this makes a bit of sense! Hang in there (*hug*)

13. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Ya thanks Katelynn, I have to admit I do sometimes feel like his mother. He isnt very good with money and often "asks my permission" before he buys stuff. Its always me thats controlling our spending and finances and making sure we are responsible and have enough money to pay our bills, which gets absolutely exhausting. He is the one who gets new clothes and the nice phone etc, (either he buys it or gets gifts from his parents). My entire wardrobe is basically his leftover clothing that doesnt fit him anymore :frowning2:.

On the flip side, he is good with doing laundry. He never cleans the apartment, but he also used to cook dinner for both of us a lot. Since I came out though he's stopped cooking dinner as much, because he says he resents me too much. Since I come home late from work its quite frustrating to be home at midnight and have to have scrambled eggs or tuna for dinner (especially when he says he will make dinner and then doesnt), but I guess I was spoiled before.

Sometimes I get so mad I start hitting myself and calling myself names. If I do this in front of him he lunges at me and if I dont run out of the apartment and into the hallway he will pin my arms down and twist them or pin me down and put his fist in my face. Hes never actually hit me but this scares me to death. Does this count as abuse? Because I am self-harming and he claims he is holding me down to "protect me from myself", but he is very rough and it hurts when he does this.

I do really care about him, but he says every time he looks at me it is painful now, which makes me feel guilty for existing.

14. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Even after I wrote the post above, I dont know how much of our problems are my fault and how much are his. I do sometimes "shut down" for a few days from stress and stop eating or being productive (besides working). I guess maybe thats being irresponsible? I dont know.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is. I hit myself sometimes, and I would be horrified if someone reacted that way. It sounds like what he's doing would probably hurt more than you hitting yourself, which makes it pretty unbelievable that it's for your own protection. Besides, hitting yourself, while it is not healthy, is not one of the most dangerous kinds of self-injury (cutting and banging your head are, you can unintentionally kill yourself with those actions).

Overall, I think you are being abused, and are being unfairly hard on yourself, blaming yourself for way more than is realistic. You do not owe him sex, no matter what. Sex is something both parties should freely want to do, and if either person feels pressured into it, it shouldn't be happening. You need to take care of yourself, not just him.

Have you sought counseling? A gay-friendly counselor knowledgable about abuse issues could probably be a big help to you in deciding what you need to do.

16. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

@Ettina thanks for your concern. I need to hear it from someone else, no matter how much I stick up for other women I cant see when Im in a bad situation myself. I guess I am repeating (on a much milder scale) my relationships with my parents.

I cant afford counseling. If I am back in school I can get free counseling, but thats if I get back in in time. I am on a six month waitlist for free counseling at a Womens Centre. The counselor seemed kind of weird there though (when I came in for an assesment), I tried to bring up being gay with her and she kind of acted like I wasnt telling the truth. She gave me a very weird vibe.

17. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Ive asked my ex about the pinning down and twisting my arms (when hes calmer) and he says " I dunno I just snap".

Ive suggested that it might count as abuse to him and he says "oh yeah, well why dont you turn me into the police then" in a really defiant way. Its very weird. Or he gets all remorseful and says "Sorry, I should just kill myself" which of course I dont want him to do, so I end up comforting him.

18. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

*bump*

Im in so much pain. I slept on the couch last night. Hes acting like nothing is happening, bouncing around all happy, while I lie there like a corpse. Im sick (bad cold) and hes not asking me how Im feeling or anything. Ive given up trying to tell him my thoughts or how I feel. I cant believe someone who claims to be my best friend can just turn around and treat me like this.

I tried to bring up him threatening me (when he chased me out of the apartment) 2 nights ago and he just said "I dont know, only you can make me act like that". Its so unfair that he doesnt have to have any insight or self awareness, just threaten people whenever he gets uncomfortable and people think I AM the unreasonable one.

I just feel like my entire reality is turned upside down and I was put on this earth as a toy for people to play around with and then push aside when theyre tired of it.

What is wrong with me that people can treat me like this? What am I doing wrong?

19. redstormrising

classic abuser - blame the abused. you don't MAKE him act any particular way, he CHOOSES to behave that way. his uncontrolled rages reside entirely with him and has nothing to do with you. i think it's pretty clear he's not your best friend, no matter what words come out of his mouth. honestly, i think you need to look into getting out of there ASAP. i know you feel you owe it to him to make sure he has a place to live at least for the semester, but if he is going to put you in danger, you need to let him fend for himself.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy crap, I didn't get that this was an abuse situation until now. I fully concur; you need to get out of there.