1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by an0nchick, Nov 25, 2012.

1. an0nchick

Are you in therapy?

2. Paradox

No I'm not. Are you?

3. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have been for over a year. Dealing with depression and social and generalized anxiety disorder. The depression is better, but I have a long way to go with the anxiety stuff.

Are you thinking of going? I'd be happy to answer questions...it can be scary at first.

4. an0nchick

Yep. I am. I don't wanna be clingy to my therapist.

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

I'm in therapy. I just afraid that I'll cling too much to my therapist. I don't want her to leave me.

5. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    [/COLOR]
    I'm in therapy. I just afraid that I'll cling too much to my therapist. I don't want her to leave me.[/QUOTE]

I know. I don't want mine to leave me, either.

6. an0nchick

I know. I don't want mine to leave me, either.[/QUOTE] I had a therapist leave me, abruptly. It was terrible. Worst feeling in the world. She was the first person who I could talk to openly.

7. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had a therapist leave me, abruptly. It was terrible. Worst feeling in the world. She was the first person who I could talk to openly.[/QUOTE]

I can't even imagine that. My therapist was the first person I came out to. I can't imagine him leaving me like that. I would be crushed. I'm so sorry that happened to you. (*hug*)

8. an0nchick

I can't even imagine that. My therapist was the first person I came out to. I can't imagine him leaving me like that. I would be crushed. I'm so sorry that happened to you. (*hug*)[/QUOTE]
    Thanx. I have a new therapist, but I'm always wary of her leaving me. In fact, there was something else going on in my life that may have led to a forced quitting on her part. ....Hard to explain here.

9. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanx. I have a new therapist, but I'm always wary of her leaving me. In fact, there was something else going on in my life that may have led to a forced quitting on her part. ....Hard to explain here.[/QUOTE]

Still doesn't make it any easier that someone you should be able to trust just shattered your trust like that.

I'm glad you found someone new.

10. canuck

I go once a month to a therapist. Feels good to just be able to talk and not censor yourself for any reason (like offending a friend somehow).

11. an0nchick

Still doesn't make it any easier that someone you should be able to trust just shattered your trust like that.

I'm glad you found someone new.[/QUOTE]

Thanx again. I hinted to my ex-therapist that I might be gay and I'm very suicidal. The last appt I had with her, she cancelled. I even attempted suicide for another reason.

12. Bree

I go to a school counselor every two weeks (that's how often they'll let you book) and a psychiatrist for ADHD. I hated the first school counselor I saw, she was businesslike and "why are you having problems in school? You know exactly what you should be doing, go do it!" The one I see now is comfortable just letting me rant if that's what I need. I finally went back after mom told me that she couldn't emotionally handle being my chief confidant, I needed to find someone else to talk to.

13. canuck

Hey Anon, that would be low for a therapist to do that on purpose. Therapists chose to become what they are and they have a moral duty to their patients. I can only assume she had a very good reason for cancelling. If you ever need someone to chat with, I'm usually around :slight_smile:

14. an0nchick

Man, that's awful. Ranting is awesome.

15. Zontar

I was for three years across three different therapists with little effect. I eventually stopped wasting my money, although to be fair, being closeted was a major problem I never even revealed until about three months before I quit on the last one.

If I were to return to therapy, and I don't believe I need to urgently, I should probably do it identifying as, you know, something other than completely straight guy.

#15 Zontar, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  16. an0nchick

Should I quit and rely on friends to vent?

17. sscott

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me, therapy is an ongoing fix. You have to keep going to feel better. I went for about eight months and I felt happy, but now I feel like I am in a funk. I can't function. I am getting better though. You just need empowerment from within yourself, not a therapist. They do help though. Not permanently.

18. Adelaida

Anonchick

Sorry that happened to you. It would be irresponsible and unethical for a therapist to stop seeing you because you were suicidal. Have you talked to your new therapist about your fears of him or her leaving, and that it's happened to you before? Maybe that would help.

19. Zontar

No. You should tell the therapist you're gay. I regret not doing that as soon as I was old enough for it to be private from my parents.