1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice about my Brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mushmush23, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mushmush23

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, I really need advice.

I found out my brother (18 y.o) is gay a couple months ago and he even admitted it. As a Christian, I didn't support it at first, but then i came with terms to accept it, I still love my brother the way he is, and it hasn't changed my thought about him. I decided to keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone else about it, to my surprise his very open about it, he even told most of his high school mates and is currently dating a guy as well.

My mum is a single parents that raised us both since young and my brother never had a dad there to support him. My mum doesn't know about his sexuality.

My relatives and family is are strong christians that do not accept homosexuality.
    I have a cousin that is considered me and my brother's best friend because we are that close and we could tell each other anything. My brother told my cousin 1 year ago and she accepted it and kept her mouth shut. Recently, she started getting to know more about god and her belief on homosexuality changed. Now she is against it.

Just recently I found out that she told her mum ( my mum's sister)- her mum has a strong belief in god as well. Which escalated in been told to another auntie and telling her daughter as well.

I talked to my brother and his very disappointed in my cousin the fact that she could not keep a promise to not say a word. My brother says " when she was dating in High school, we supported her and didn't say a word to her parents. When she was going through a hard time of a eating disorder we even supported her and helped her through it and helped her keep secrets"

Suddenly my mum goes into my brother's room today and tells him we have to go to church ( we hardly go to church- 2-3 times a month) which was a surprise as I know that my auntie ( her sister who knows about my brother) called my mum yesterday morning, but my mum did not disclose the details of why she suddenly wanted us to go to church. I don't know if my mum knows about my brother being gay.

Im really worried not only for my brother but my mum. It also bad timing as well because my mum works full time but at the same time she has exams next week for uni.

I have a feeling that my relatives are going to try "change" my brother.

Edit: I forgot to say, my brother was intending to tell my mum after he graduated from university and has a stable job.

My question is, What can I do? I want to do something but I don't know what to do.

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Well, for starters it is so nice that you care enough about your brother to be concerned here. The best thing you can do is show your support for him. He will GREATLY appreciate it. One person's support can make a lifetime of difference.
    It sounds very suspicious that your mother did that, if she has heard things from her sister/s she may already be in the denial stage.

Since your family is Christian I will take this opportunity to share one of our favorite videos again. It's a speech by Mathew Vines about homosexuality and the Bible. It focuses on what the scriptures say. Sure it's a little long, but just start it and you'll see it is quite interesting and informative. If nothing else it offers a different look at things.
    [YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

(*hug*)

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing you can do for your brother is be there for him and support him. If shit hits the fan with family members ganging up on him(or your mother), then you need to help him anyway you can and be by his side. It also helps to reassure him that there's nothing wrong with him no matter what people might say.

4. Emberblaze

I say you just stand firm with your brother and prepare a good amount of strategies to combat whatever your mom or family can try to attack him with.

Just let the other side make the first move and you two retaliate accordingly snce you still don't know for certain if your mom knows eh

5. mushmush23

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much

Ill have a look at that vid. :icon_bigg