1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs to Tell Someone Is Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mercedez, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Mercedez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was wondering how you guys tone your gaydar lol. I think there are some signs to tell if someone is gay. Do you guys have any?

Btw, these are just like hints. That person may not be gay at all.

For example...
    Loves shows like Queer Eye, Will & Grace, America's Next Top Model...
    Very flamboyant voice/walk.
    Has a lot of girl friends.
    Clothing-savvy...

2. tired_of_lying411

if he has all of your above listed traits, I would be surprised to find out he's NOT gay. lol

I say there are the obvious ones, but for me its more a feeling. Theres simply things a straight guy wont do. Like there may be a few things you see in a guy but your sure hes straight. But when you see a whole collection of little clues... When you get thet feeling that he was staring at you too, trying to see if YOU were gay... (something no straight guy will do)

its a hard thing to describe, but I believe in it, and it sure is fun.

3. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yeah, and just along with clothing savvy, many gay guys tend to dress a certain way...I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but it seems to me to be kind of a mix between preppy and tight-fitting clothes. It was funny, 'cause I was waiting for my friend and my 10th grade english teacher (my friends and I stalk her, and she stalks us back. It's quite fun.) in Dupont, a notoriously gay neighborhood in D.C., and you could pick out all of the gays just walking down the street. There was this one guy who I could tell was gay from literally a block away...he had it all, the highlights, pink buttton down shirt, tight fitting designer jeans, carrier bag, and cell phone and starbucks coffee in hand.

Pretty much you have to look for a mix of stereotypically gay characteristics, because my dad watches Project Runway with us (I love Kayne btw), but he isn't very clothing savvy (I have all these REALLY ugly massive brown hand-me-down pullovers dominating my closet. ew.) or tries to figure out if guys are gay, but if a guy did a combination of those characteristics, then chances are they're gay.

I hope that makes sense...I spaced out like 5 times and went on weird tangents...

4. step49x

I often wonder the same thing, what are some good ways to tell if guys are gay or not. It's weird, though. I don't feel as if I fit any of the listed stereotypes (besides being heavely involved in theatre, and not having an interest in sports, both of which don't appear to have been mentioned yet).

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think more than anything obviously stereotypical, the best way to figure someone out is to figure out what they pay attention to. For instance, gay guys notice other guys in a way straight guys do not. Gay people in general are usually very aware of their environment because they have to figure out if where they are is "safe" or not--this would be more noticeable, I'm guessing, among guys because women tend to have safety concerns everywhere.

A lot of times you can tell if someone's gay by what they don't say and how they don't act, too. More than anything I tend to look for a sense of recognition that is difficult to quantify. It's not recognition of "oh you have this stereotypically gay trait" but more "oh you're an outsider in the straight world the same way I am."

6. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gaydar is broken, and I tend to usually spot only the typical gay man, the one who might wear tight jeans, has a fem acting sort of way, and also is around a huge amount of girls.

7. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I consider a gay accent an almost definite indicator. Straight men rarely seem to have a hint of one.

I haven't done enough investigating to find out for sure, but I think gays sometimes stand with one leg forward, putting most of their weight on their other leg. Straight men stand with both legs evenly placed.

Sometimes gays' lips seem feminine to me, and I'm not sure why. I think the highest part of the lips, where the bottom edges of the crease betweeen the mouth and nose are (what's that thing called again?), is more pronounced. Also, I think their lips might be fuller and redder.

I think cocking their head slightly to the right for pictures is another one.

I'll probably think of more to add later.

8. surfrboykai

i know a very clothing savvy dude, and he's straight as an arrow. i also know another dude that hangs out with a lot of chicks and hardly any dudes, and he's straight too. with metrosexuals like, poppin up all over the place, it's way difficult to like, sort out the gays from the "faux-gays haha."

9. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    LOL! I love your examples. See...Stereotypes are great.

Sorry..but your gaydar is in perfect tune on this one.

I am usually not attracted to straight guys so that makes it easy.
    I look at how they stand when they talk and what they do with their hands.

10. Jim1454

LOL! I have to agree... you don't need Gaydar if a guy shows these traits.

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Today one of my gay accepting friends (who doesnt know im gay, no one does haha) said i acted really camp-ly and everyone had a suspicion i was gay LMAO!
    I just acted really offended, and apperently its the way i move my body or something o.0 its really werid, i never thought i was camp.....apart from my love of shopping ~ but shoppings fun soo.....and i know straight people who shop!...anyways i was just really surprised that everyone thinks im gay lol, makes me not want to come out cause its as if ive been beaten o.0 i know its a werid thing to say lol but meh.....i dont liek to lose >..>

Hi 5 me if you could be bothered to read that mess of words! (*hug*)

12. Jim1454

*High 5s ThatCrazyThang*

I'd be thrilled if my friends had already come to the conclusion that I'm gay! Two of my best friends did - and it was SO much easier to tell them by simply confirming their suspicion. It's like they brought it up.

I'd take advange of it, and tell them soon that they were right! Tell them on the 11th!

13. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may be in the minority here, but I'm gay and I certainly don't exhibit any of the traits so far listed. I hate shopping, don't really care about savvy clothing, don't like all those gay friendly shows, and I don't think I have a high pitched voice. Even if people do have those qualities, I wouldn't assume they were gay, some guys are just effeminite.

Sorry, I have no gaydar whatsoever, am I the only one

14. SpikySpice

I dont know, I odnt beleieve in those traits much, it's just my feeling, becauyse gay guys may come in different types, colors shapes and stuffs, tehy may fit all teh traits, some fit some traits, soem dont fit any at all

There are gay things taht straight guys also do, liek love show, or there are straigt gusy who at like girls, with lispy voice, they look like queers but their orientation is straight

And about gay stereotypes, nhah, taht is even worse, stereotypes aint true, so you can not base on taht either

But some how you justhave the feelings who is gay who is not, i have crush both on gay and straight, but i know who i want to keep on, and who i want to drop, it's hard to explain

And what about those bi guys? I never heard people discussed about them, they may fit the traits too or not

15. surfrboykai

i'm with you on this one brah.

oh, and *high 5s ThatCrazyThang*

16. abercrombieboi

my gaydar sucks like seriously half the schools cute straight population is scared of me cuz ive flirted with them at one point or another because I kinda thought they were gay (though a few of them seriously are like soooooo in the closet like no lie...they've barely reached for the doorknob they're so scared) so yea in order for me to start talkin to a guy i hav to like be introduced to them as like "hi, my name is so and so and im a hot flaming faggot!" lols but yea

abercrombieboi

17. Grof142007

try not to sterotype it sucks just gotta out of a class like that and im not to break the habit of sterotyping ppl.

i agree i woudlnt look for the thigns he do but they thing he didnt do or say. When in stare.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Dave, I could have written that whole thing myself. I'm exactly the same, including the useless gaydar!

19. JSG

JSG Guest

I just know, you know??
    My gaydar isn't 100% perfect, but still pretty good :grin:

20. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Pft.
    My Gay-Dar broke when I was born...

But if there's a guy wearing tight jeans, Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Dolce & Gobbana (sp?), Baby Phat, has a very girly tone of voice, too many female mannerisms, a pink boa on his neck, too many highlights, waxed exebrows, and a pink cellphone. I might guess he could be gay.

:rolleyes: