1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend just came out, should I do the same?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Naomi, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Naomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend came out to me yesterday and told me that she loves me. I always had a feeling that she felt this way, so it wasn’t very shocking to me. In the past we have talked about our sexualities and we both told each other that we were confused. But right now I’m even more confused about my sexuality.

I’ve just started dating my first boyfriend and it’s fun to hang out but I normally dread the kiss at the end. I’ve kissed guys before and it just hasn’t felt right, but I have always thought that I haven’t found the right guy yet. I have had crushes on girls before, and a major crush on my old best friend. I have questioned myself for years, watched countless youtube videos and gone to websites like this one in search of answers. And now after my best friend had the courage to come out, I feel like it has finally sunk in that I might actually be bi or even lesbian!

The problem is that my friend just came out, and telling her how I feel might look like I’m just copying her. Or worse, it will give her the impression that I like her(I have never had any feelings for her before). What do you think I should do? I’m still not completely certain of my sexuality… so do you think I’m just being influenced by her? I’m so confused! :icon_sad:

2. theMaverick

Why not tell her that you are confused about your sexuality? If nothing else, you'd have someone who probably knew quite well what you were going through, and could be there to help you in whatever way possible.

3. Andbenz0189

i was in a similar situation with a friend of mine. He came out to me thinking i would react badly, by that time i was in the process of accepting myself, so i obviously accepted him immediately. i did think of telling him right there and then, that i thought i was bi. but i decided i should wait a while, until i was sure. if only, having a friend who had already come out, gave me the strength of knowing when i was ready. i came out to him first of all other people. maybe wait a while, but be sure to tell her in a way that doesn't seem like you're not doing it to copy her, but because you're sure of who you are.

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'm in a similar situation. One of my friends actually came out on a social networking site. I was completely shocked. All of a sudden she had a girlfriend. She hadn't told anyone that she was even questioning. Her courage to come out so publicly makes me really want to do the same. The only thing stopping me is that I don't have a girlfriend or anything. Anyways, I'm going to wait a few months before I decide what to do. I think I'll just start with telling my best friend for now. I just don't want to risk coming out so publicly and regret it later.