1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the right age to star dating ???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Capichino, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Capichino

Umm what is the right age to start????

And how close to your age should they be in age becase ik for a fact that when it is 23 to 13 it does not work at all and I speak from personal experance but ya
    Plz post under :grin:

2. TheLonelyOne

TheLonelyOne Guest

I would say 16+ no younger. If your not ready by 16 then just hold off it's no biggy. :icon_wink

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2012 at 02:40 AM ----------

Also if you are under 18 I wouldn't date anyone above 18.

3. castle walls

I don't think that there is an exact "right" age to start dating. I think the right age is whenever that person is ready, which can only be decided by that person. For instance, I was in a serious relationship when I was 14. I think that I was ready for it and the relationship lasted several years.

As for age differences, I think (assuming everything stays legal as in no 12 year-olds and 30 year-olds) maturity level is much more important than age

4. Capichino

Ya and I'm 13 not 12

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2012 at 12:59 AM ----------

Ya and also I never got to c him to and it lasted for a week it's a long story

5. castle walls

I wasn't referring to your age. I was just using the ages 12 and 30 as an example.

6. Capichino

7. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I agree. I think people are too obsessed with finding romantic partners when they should be looking for friends. I have found that relationships in junior high and high school generally cause more drama and harm than happiness. But that is just my opinion.

8. Jared

It depends on the person. Some people are ready far sooner than others. But generally I think 16 and up is good. But I have a friend who started dating at 14 and she's still with the same guy five years later. I didn't start until I was 19.

9. BudderMC

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're not ready for it (that includes maturity and comfort levels), you shouldn't do it. As others have said, people are ready at different ages, so I don't you can stick a "requirement" on it.

10. jaysuss

I dated girls once I got into junior high. Now my friends just try to set me up and I turn most down. I think it's when you're ready but make sure you stay caught up on your school work.

11. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I had my first boyfriend when I was 13. He was 14 at the time. It worked out well, but I ended up breaking it off a year later because he started physically hurting me. It was fun though. I don't think age matters in a relationship; only maturity.

#11 plasticcrows, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  12. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

I first dated a guy when I was 16, then no one up to this point because I didn't know anyone.

I've heard a "rule" of 'Half your age plus seven' being the minimum, which I guess would make '[Your age minus seven] x 2' the max. So, if you're 28, you shouldn't date anyone younger than 21, or older than 42.

Of course, this all depends on a lot more than age. In this example, a 21 year old might be focused on leaving school and starting a career, whereas a 28 year old might be more interested in starting a family, whereas a 42 year old might have children from another relationship and be interested in travelling or something.

Similarly, you wouldn't want your 17 year old child dating a person who is 21, even though this ''rule" says you can. I'd say no more than one year older/younger until you're 22ish, 2 years from 23-27, and after than it's okay to start dating someone with a greater age difference.

BUT BUT BUT

I'm only assuming that people of these ages would have similar life goals. Really, that's the most important thing; like the above posters mentioned, it's more to do with maturity than anything.

13. TotallyaGirl

TotallyaGirl Guest

It all depends on the people. I have a friend who is now 18. He and his girlfriend have been dating since they were 12, and are engaged. As for that "rule" I don't think it matters, as long as you and the other person are legally allowed, and truly feel ready for it, I think you're fine. I'm 14 and feel I'm ready for something serious, sadly maturity levels of others my age cause most of the people I know to be all frivolous with their relationships. That's why I tend to be into people a year or two older than me, which is also why I haven't ever been in a relationship yet

14. Capichino