1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think its harder to become friends with gays/lesbians who are out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Nov 27, 2012.

1. teluphone

This is talking from those who are in the closet basically. You almost feel like you don't really have anything to talk about, anything in common and i often feel like i come off as the person who complains more about life problems because you're not out yet and in a way it can make one feel shallow

2. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    There must be something .. talk about life .. something you share in common with someone .. it doesn't have to be about "two gay guys talking about how hot men are" or "two lesbians talking about what boobs mean to them versus butts" .. just talk in a normal way I guess ...

I guess that the fact that you find yourself talking to someone -about anything- without feeling like you are hiding something from them feels nice .. just talk .. I never believed it before myself .. but it actually helps set your mind at ease ...

3. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Forgive me for not understanding, but what does being out or closeted have to do with anything? I'd be glad to give you adequate advice if you supply more specific details about your situation.

4. Lewis

I think it's harder in the sense that it could feel uncomfortable around them because you wish you could be as open as they are. It could also be that they may work out or ask about your own sexuality.

I definitely find it harder to talk to other gay people compared to straight people. Probably because I'm not as comfortable as they are about talking about my sexuality. A part of my still finds it hard to say gay, when it's about myself.

5. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I don't think it's hard to be friends with out gay guys. I don't have any friends who are lesbian so I don't know for that but I don't think it would be much different.

6. teluphone

i dunno maybe it's because i'm almost always so reluctant to talk about my personal problems because of my self-consciousness, family problems and the fact that i suffered so much trauma related to those close people around me dying. By the time i actually do open up about my personal life (especially with trying to come to terms with myself).

i feel like it may have somewhat of an negative effect when it comes to friendship that probably comes off as an unlikable trait about myself specifically to an out gay man (perhaps too pessimistic, too full of yourself, too depressed), seeing as i have noticed them changing the conversion topic on more general stuff instead of this kind of talk. Because of my self-conscious nature, i do feel like i did something wrong in the friendship to make that happen and beating myself really hard for opening up about myself, my thoughts, my feelings and beliefs. The reason why i say out gay man its because of the fact i'm not out, it kinda makes it hard to talk about every personal struggle i go through with straight friends.

btw when i say self-conscious, i mean really really self-conscious to the point i get worried when people reply with simple "yes or no" or "i agree/disagree with you" after i made a huge post on my views China government for instance after we were talking about politics.

#6 teluphone, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  7. dano22

dano22 Guest

When it comes to meeting people who are completely out and everybody knows I would explain nicely to them that I am not comfortable being completely out yet without making things difficult or complicated. When explained my situation in college to the glbt group when I had a very homophobic roommate and was scared shit to come out I felt more treated like a coward than someone who is in difficult. They did not try to out me or anything I just felt like i was really a part of the group.
    i remember secretly going to a gay group which happened to full of older lesbian women one lady who was a straight alli commented "Only people who are comfortable with their sexuality should be a part of this group." I felt offended but I did not say anything because i was not comfortable to begin with.
    It is more easier to be on the same page as everyone else and some people are not on the same page. I remember telling this gay guy in my small town and he was a jerk about my depression and he just told me to suck it up and deal with it telling me that everybody had problems and not to make mine sound worse than others. I was in a bad point in my life and he could care less calling me bipolar and in need of therapy. To hear that from a gay guy himself was a real shock to me.

8. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I have one friend who is lesbian and open about it to anyone who asks, so I don't understand why it would be hard to become friends with an out gay/lesbian person because no matter their preference, they would still be the same person (for the most part). If you have the same interests, then it is easier to become friends.

9. teluphone

@dano22, i sometimes question where i really need therapy or not because of my insecurity. Unfortunately, my parents have lectured me this misconception in my mind ever since my mother started started taking her meds for her manic-depression, that all mentally/socially handicap people as people who can't function properly in society and you will forever be locked up in an asylum if you were ever diagnose with a disorder.

i honestly feel whenever i'm not on the same page as other people because of my self-consciousness, it makes me feel like i'm being a coward, self-centered and pathetic.

10. dano22

dano22 Guest

I get what your saying but my depression had only little to do with my insecurity. I had a bad experience living with someone who was extremely homophobic and it almost threw me over the edge causing my depression. A gay guy I was getting to know obviously could care less about my depression or the situation I was in and turned against me because he thought I was mentally unstable which maybe I was but he was a real jerk.

A thing you need to know it is not the 1930's anymore. People with severe mental disorders are most likely to be in group homes and are there many of them now days. Asylums barely exist now days thank god and that is the the way it should be. There are still mental health centers but they are much better than before. I thank god that people even with mental retardation are not thrown into mental hospitals anymore. I had a distant cousin who back in the 1930's his wife and children were all declared feeble minded and sent into mental hospital some of them wrongfully put in there. One of his children grew up left the hospital and went on to live a normal life getting married and having children.

Sorry to get off topic but your comment on asylums got me going that way. The view on mental disorders is getting better but there is still a lot of education that needs to get out there. I overheard my sister talking about Demi Lovato and saying how she is emo because she cuts and is bipolar. The immature language was weird but that is the mindset of a lot of people gay or straight that depression and mental disorders are a sign of weakness or being pathetic.