1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which parent should I live with?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by you, Nov 27, 2012.

1. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't entirely about being gay, but it is a factor.

My parents have been separated (divorced?) my entire life. I have always lived with my father. Both are now married to other people. According to some legal document, after the age of 13 I can choose who I live with, and when I visit the other (if I do at all).

Father
    Pros:
    • better living conditions (heating, bed, infrequent infestations)
    • safer (closer to country)
    Cons:
    • homophobic
    • no similarities between us
    • forced to spend unenjoyed time together
    • frequent inability to be happy
    • not one person who's presence I am comfortable with

Mother
    Pros:
    • not openly homophobic
    • I can enjoy myself at her house.
    • I have more freedom to leave the house when I visit.
    Cons:
    • semi-frequent infestations (fleas, bed bugs) (although grandfather is an exterminator)
    • have yet to turn the gas on to heat the house
    • uncle lives there; appears homophobic
    • lots of little kids
    • area to be my room still being remodeled
    • slightly more dangerous (city home)

I originally thought there'd be no problem moving in with my mom until cold weather hit. I had stayed there for a month twice, and the only problems were all of the kids and some fleas, although that was when they had a cat.

This is difficult because I have to choose between two different types of comfort. Also, I'm not sure how my dad would react when I tell him I'm leaving, but that's what I want to do.

If I stay with my dad, I'll be spending all day after school with them watching reality TV. I can't go to my room anymore because I've been spending too much time "hiding" in there. I also believe that my dad has kept me from experiencing the outside world. The internet is the only reason I know anything about it at all. My dad's side of the family is all very conservative, Christian, and homophobic.

My mom's side of the family is more liberal. My mom and stepfather appear neutral about homosexuality, and one of their close friends has made a positive comment before. My uncle (who moved in recently) seems homophobic, but it's mostly in the form of calling things gay. He may just be uninformed.

If I move in with my mom now, I'll be sleeping on their couch in their living room downstairs. I won't have any space to myself unless I stay in the wash room, the coldest room at the moment. Once my room is finished, however, I can easily ignore most of the cons at my mom's house.

What would you do?

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

Also, this may not be the best area of the forum to post this in, but it was this or Yahoo Answers.

2. FunnyMonkey

Well I think you should move in with your Mom it seem to be the better fit and if you move in you your Mom she would not have to pay CS to your Dad and your Dad would pay her CS so that could go for heat bill. I would rather be cold and sleep on a couch in their living room then live in a homophobic house.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd have to go with FunnyMonkey. You won't be living there forever, but it's better to have semi-poor living conditions then have a comfy home you're scared to be in.

4. Ben

Ben

Ultimately, you're the best person to weigh up which place is better to live in. I'm inferring that your mother is making you a room at her house. Maybe it's worth considering where you'd like to live when that room is available, and where you'd like to live before it's available. But like I said, nobody here can really understand your life enough to make this decision for you.

5. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I know I have to make my own decision, but I just can't think straight lately because my mind is really cloudy.

6. Ticklish Fish

lol.. how's the school district/ schooling in the two area?
    because remember that when you're 18, you probably have saved enough to move out/ to college too

7. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The school I go to now is an eleven student church project. Four students in the high school - two of us are gay. Two students in the middle school - one of them is bi.

I don't know anything about the schools where my mom lives.

8. julia

Physically, for your heath, I would think it would do you best to live with your dad but for your sanity it would do you much, much better to live with your mother. Personally, I would rather live with a parent who accepted me then with someone who frequently says they hate gays. If you're not comfortable being around your father, I think it is a rather simple situation. I wish you the best either way!

9. Delta

I would go with emotional comfort, personally. The physical problems can be fixed much faster and more safely than emotional problems. Your room will be finished, and then the cons will be gone, wheras you'll have the same cons at your Dad's place indefinitely.

But you know honestly what you'd prefer.