1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I tell my mum I have a girlfriend? :S

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Purple Llama, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Purple Llama

Hi! I haven't been on this site in a while, but I'm back for good now! :icon_bigg Anyway I need advice, this is really bugging me. Right, I'll try and make this as short as possible, basically I want to come out to my mum, but have no idea what to say. Actually, she probably already knows I'm gay, but to be specific, I want to tell her I have a girlfriend. The idea of telling her freaks me out, but it has to be done at some point I suppose! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't know why I'm so nervous about telling her, I think even if I was straight and had a boyfriend, I'd be just as nervous! As far as she knows, I've never been in a relationship with anyone, ever. Well she's never asked, and we don't really talk about personal things with each other, so I've never really seen it as a big deal. But yeah, I want to tell my mum about my girlfriend soon, but don't know how to bring it up, or how she'll react. :confused: Also, my girlfriend is staying over soon (mum thinks she's just a 'mate', also they haven't met yet), so should I tell my mum before she visits, after she's gone, or while she's there?

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:
    L x

2. Nickygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i think you should just be honest with her. especially if she already knows you're gay, just tell her something like "mom, i have a girlfriend." it is normal for you to be nervous. everyone, gblt and straight, always get really nervous about parents meeting boyfriends/ girlfriends.
    as for timing, definitely before. if you do it after or during when she is there your mom will feel like you lied to her about who she was and feel betrayed. just tell her sometime before the girl comes. im sure she'll be fine with it. if she knows your gay she knows it would've happened at some point lol. good luck!!