1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was too scared to go to a GSA meeting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bkdub, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bkdub

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today I had planned on going to my school's weekly gay straight alliance meeting. However, I got really nervous right before walking in and ended up walking back to my car. I've wanted to go for years. Fall semester ends next week and there is only one more meeting. I even requested today off so I could go. Also, in my car before I went in because I was nervous, I flipped a coin to help make up my mind. Heads I go, tails I go back home. The coin landed heads. But, when I got to the door this afternoon I walked away. I am afraid I won't fit in. People never ever suspect me of being gay. I've had miserable experiences at gay bars and clubs before. I don't think I would have anything to talk about with members of the club. I'm not sure though because I always wuss out. I feel really bad about it though. Ever since I got home it's all I can think about. I don't have anybody who would go with me. Atleast by next week.Can you please give me advice on going to next weeks meeting(the last meeting of the semester).

2. IdontKnowAnyMor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the end all you have to do is just take a deep breath and before you have a chance to second guess yourself walk in. Everyone in there is supportive and whether you have something to say or not, there is nothing wrong with being there. Just be strong. And it will turn out for the best in the end.

3. madi

I know it can be hard to join, but from my experience with being in my high school's GSA I can tell you you have nothing to worry about. In mine the majority of the people are straight supporters and you know since they're in the club they won't judge you because of sexual orientation. A lot of the time they are more accepting than people you find outside of the club. I was too scared to join my first two years of high school, but finally got the courage to join this year and it's awesome. I can talk openly with any of them about issues I have and help create positive change around the school. Do be strong because it could really be a great opportunity for you to meet people and also to deal with something you care about :slight_smile:

4. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

Good luck and I do hope your first meeting turns out OK....getting in the door of the meeting is the toughest part in my experience.....be well :slight_smile:

5. dano22

dano22 Guest

I remember being so nervous and shy and being so scared to walk in the door of a gay organization meeting. It is ok to be nervous and awkward the first time you go in getting in that door is just a big step in the right direction.

6. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You don't have to go in there and tell them what you are, I go to my med school GSA (it has a different weird name, but it's the same darn thing!) and I just tell them I'm straight. It might make it easier on you for the first few meetings and you can tell them when you are ready.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just trying to go is the first step. It took me a few tries to go into my university's LGBT office. I would stand in front of the door and then hurry up and leave.

So, It may take some time, but it's totally worth it. I was really nervous, but I finally managed to go into the meeting. I'm sure the day will come when you just go into the meetings.