1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took the next step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dano22, Nov 28, 2012.

1. dano22

dano22 Guest

I posted this awhile ago and still have not got a reply from my former special ed teacher so I emailed the special ed director my homophobic experience in the special ed room.

This is my past post:http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/62969-coming-out-letter-my-teacher.html.

This is what I wrote the special ed director:

Hi. My name is "blank" and I graduation from "Blank" in 2010. I am writing this letter as advocate for people with disabilities and also for people who are lgbt. I wanted to inform you of what I went through in that Mrs. "Blank" class that I only told one teacher within the school system. I emailed the teacher my experience and never heard back from her. This is a transcript of what I emalied that teacher "I am writing this letter to let you know about something that affected me deeply in High School that I denied to myself and others. That is the fact that I am gay. The reason I am telling you this is that I felt treated as a loner in the special ed class and was seen as someone who did not want to make friends. Well there are reasons for that and I am writing this letter to get past that bitter point in my life. The classroom as you may of known was fueled with anti gay comments which caused me to shut myself out and not open up to others. I had problems with social anxiety because of this and also had a fear of rejection throughout High School. I am writing this so maybe the same thing won't happen to another kid going through the same thing. I know you cannot change people's behavior or attitude towards towards but I say this respectfully something needs to change so another kid is not a victim to daily comments that could lower their self esteem or cause self destruction in their lives.".

I wrote this email not because I am living in the past I am moving on from the past and I did for the sake of future students who might be going through the same thing. I know it is not your responsibility to make sure all students are not being offensive in the special ed environment I just wanted to inform you of my experience and how it impacted my life in High School because it was a serious issue. I admit I should of spoke up and said something but the fear of rejection took over and I kept it all inside. I still was hurt that my special teachers really did not stand up and say this has got to stop. I know that they also cannot control every students actions and that things can get out of hand.

Thanks for reading this letter and I don't mean to com off as hostile or rude in anyway. I am doing this for future special ed students who might be going through the same thing.

2. I read through the posts in your previous thread, and I actually think that teachers need to take a more active role in fostering accepting and peaceful environments. I don't think any teacher has an excuse to let those comments fly around in the classroom. I think it's good that you're still seeking a response by going higher in the administration.

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

I can visually remember the teacher picking her hair and just sitting there and on her cell phone ignoring the comments coming out of students months. I remember once when a student mentioned homosexuality to her and joked about it she said how disgusting that is. It really bothered me that a person of authority would condone such behavior.