1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Was He Flirting with Me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayandChristian, Nov 29, 2012.

1. GayandChristian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm a closeted guy, and I'm living with my parents for the holidays. I met a really cute and nice guy working at Hot Topic in the mall while I was shopping a couple days back. We were alone in the store, and he really started paying attention to me - which I know is common for retail associates anyway, but his questions weren't about their merchandise, they were about me! What I liked, disliked, the latest Marvel films (I came in to get a Capt. America tee). Anyway, he laughed a lot and took extra time to find what i wanted (every time I got ready to leave, he went and found a different size of the EXACT SAME shirt for me to try on, lol) until he was down to a slim small which was pretty tight and showed off my definition, and then looked me up and down and said, "that size looks good on you". All the while we kept brushing against each other and when I finally got to the register, he touched my hand when he gave me my receipt and told me to "I should definitely come back and chill with him and talk Marvel sometime".

I'm painfully shy, and it wasn't until I got home that I realized he might have actually been flirting with me, lol. But then I'm not sure if he wasn't just being nice to make a sale. What do you think? I have literally zero experience flirting so I'm lost. I did like him though - a lot.

What should I do?

2. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think he only wanted to make a sale. He was flirting with you. You should go there again and talk about Marvel if that makes you a bit less shy. Give him you phone number, idk. Try to be friends. But he was definitely trying to flirt with you. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. GayandChristian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    and now I'm 10x more nervous, lol. I wish there was some way I could know for sure... Any advice on ways I can let him know I'm interested? Preferably ways that are not too forward? I'm so oblivious, lol

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He was flirting with you. No question. :slight_smile:

Well, before we get too involved, what exactly do you want to happen? Do you want to just playfully flirt in the shop? Do you hope to (eventually) take things outside the shop?

Lex

5. GayandChristian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Honestly, I'm not quite sure. Maybe visit him in the store a couple of times and play around (since that's what he said and they literally get NO customers, lol), but he's really nice and like I said, attractive, haha. Definitely dating material. If it helps, I'm INFJ so that should give you a bit of n idea of my personality type.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you need to schedule a time to go back. You need to find out if he's working that day. If he is (and he's alone), then you need to say hello to him, and tell him how much you appreciated his help the last time you were in. Then lob him some open-ended questions. Ask if they have any other Marvel stuff in stock. Ask if they've had such stuff in the past. Ask, if he had his way, what Marvel T-shirts they would make and stock. Then mention that you're only in town for the holidays, but you'd like to keep in touch, and ask if you can add him on Facebook. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

If you want it to go out the shop then put the ball in his court :slight_smile:

Write down your number on a piece of paper and if he flirts again and says you should hang out more, give it to him with a wink and say he should give you a call. You could also buy that shirt he says you look good in and tell him maybe you'll wear it next time you hang out, or something similar.

It sounds like this is pretty much already 'in the bag' as he definitely sounds interested. Confidence is indeed pretty sexy, but try not to be overly confident, I find that such a turn off. By that, I mean when a guy asks you out acting like he's the most important guy in the world and that you should be honored to date him, I just can't put into words how much of a turn off that is for me.

Good luck!

All the best.

8. GayandChristian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like this! This I can do, at least I don't think its too far out of my reticent comfort zone, lol.

I already bought it haha, I might wear it though the next time I go in the store. I don't know if I'm forward enough to wink at him and give him my number, but a facebook add I can do! (note that I've already shamelessly attempted to creep on him there since his first name was on the receipt, no luck lol). And the whole over confident thing is probably impossible for me so no worries there. Thanks for the advice guys!

9. Hoofbeats

You should go for it! Maybe somehow work the conversation into a "what are you doing this weekend?" thing. You can do it!