1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you tell if someone is gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fox04, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Fox04

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im not out publicly yet but lately I've noticed some flirting with other guys well I say flirting they say other wise like slagging each other messing and joking stuff like that. My question is, is there signs to tell if someone is gay?

2. GayandChristian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No clue! lol, If you find some, let me know!

3. Bree

There's one guaranteed sign: if someone turns to you and says "I'm gay!" They're probably gay!

4. julia

So, so many gay men and women are not at all like the stereotypes say we are, so it's almost impossible to know. I guess your best guess is if they are wearing a rainbow accessory or that they are wearing a sign that says "I'm gay".

5. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    First off, ONLY make as move if at least MOST of these comes out "positive."

1.) Look at his fingers. Really! Here is a quote from Cracked.com - America's Only Humor Site | Cracked.com
    2.) Look at his eyes. Here is a video by gay Vlogger "Davey Wavey" : How To Tell If Someone Is Gay - Foolproof! - YouTube His Theory makes sense, right?

3.) Ask! Really! I serious here! But, don't JUST listen to the answer, look at their eyes again. Here's a really good video on how to tell if somebody is telling the truth or not: How To Tell If Someone Is Lying - YouTube It's pretty useful and pretty funny too.

I hope you find this helpful, and use this stuff carefully, and don't get to sure just because most of them work out.

Edit: I see that I'm the most helpful so far! :slight_smile:

6. DarkClarity

I have one sure fire technique to finding out whether someone is gay/bisexual: Ask them. If they're lying then there's nothing that you can do about that but I imagine gay/bisexual individuals who are comfortable with their orientation and are out wouldn't have a problem telling you.

Although, if you discover a sure fire technique to identify any gay/bisexual individual, let us know mate.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a stock answer for this, but it's X-rated, and I don't want people thinking I'm getting pervy. :slight_smile:

The only telltale signs are blatant - rainbow bracelets and the like. Everything else is simply suggestive.

Lex

8. rday13

rday13 Guest

Well there's the rainbows and the bracelets and the stereotypical gay guys who you'd spot from a mile off.
    Besides asking and hulu's digit ratio theory (which has some interesting pros and cons, but it'd take more than a post to get through it all), there's one other thing you could do.
    You could ask how many older brothers they have. This is another of those interesting scientific theories that finds a correlation between sexual orientation and the number of older male offspring, the theory being that the mother's body 'feminizes' each successive male offspring (b/c the Y chromosome is foreign, remember). I can name at least a couple of friends who are either one of the youngest male children, or have a gay younger brother. It's not perfect science, but it's an intriguing explanation that popped into my head in response to your query :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All that aside, the easiest way to find out is to ask. Choose a time and a venue suitable to ask and then go for it :slight_smile:

9. Grant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You don't need to. Go up to the guy when he's on his own, talk to him, get to know him. If he's gay it shouldn't take too long to figure out and if he's not you have a knew friend. Anyway county are ya from??

10. caramba2654

I wear a pink triangle bracelet and no-one knows what it means. XD

The rainbow flag is *the* symbol of LGBT, but there's another one, rather obscure, which is the pink triangle. So I chose to use that instead. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh, and I made it myself. Got a pink guitar pick, drilled a hole and put a string through it. Bam, there I had it. :grin:

11. Zuuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lesbians have a black triangle. I have that on a necklace. XD

12. Faden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of miss the labrys (hello Bound), but then, if you get into the history of the lifestyle you find a lot of little shibboleths you may never have known about. There's the lambda, blue stars, all manner of flags that most straight people wouldn't be able to immediately identify... then there's the old system of hanky colors of which it's always fun to read the latest incarnation-- Like a dirty version of Victorian flower language.

According to Wikipedia,

Lovely if true.

13. qboy

I wonder how many people actually know where that one originates? The only one of that set most people know is the yellow star of David.

Have yet to see anyone wearing Rainbow bracelets and the like - even when I happened to be in Manchester when Europride was on, or out in the gay bars and clubs here.

14. caramba2654

From what I know, it originated in the concentration camps. The prisoners were identified with 2 triangles in the shape of a David star. Yellow starts meant that the person was jewish. Black starts meant that the person was a lesbian. And black stars meant that the person was gay.

That's why that symbol is a little bit obscure, but hey, for someone that has been failing History for my whole life, that should encourage me a little bit to study more. XD

15. Pat

Pat

Asking them. Lol.

16. qboy

Indeed - the yellow star was before the camps (it's what people had to ware out on the streets).

For the other types of people in the camps there were various triangles, but if you were a Jew the yellow triangle was overlaid to form a star. e.g. if you had a yellow and pink star you were a Jewish sex offender (the latter being limited to those convicted in a criminal court, and primarly being people who were simply homosexual). Yellow and black was a "work shy" Jew. Pink on it's own was a non-Jewish sex offender.

Have to say I only found that out watching Sommersturm where they had the dialogue

But you must agree that
    having these gays is a drag?
    And that is this thread well and truly pulled OT!

17. an0nchick

I wish I knew! But for women! I think it has something to do with mannerisms. Not so much dress, sometimes dress is a clue. Remember, 70% of stereotypes are true and 30% false. :thumbsup: