1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love? Ha! Baby steps, how to be social?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TroubledRyan, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TroubledRyan

So it has been a while since I have been with someone, and I'm really dying to meet new people. I have this 'foolish' ideal on true love, and it is something that I crave strongly. I'm not into meeting up, or sleeping around. I'm a very monogamous person, and I'm completely fine and happy with that.

The problem lies with my social abilities, and my courage to go out and join group activities to meet new people. I'm deathly afraid of meeting a lot of new people, and I'm not quite sure why. Once I get to know someone, and warm up to them, it is very easy for me. It's just that beginning process, the baby step. So it is easier for me when I have someone I already know with me.

It's horrible; I'll just sit there and look at my crushes, wishing they would speak to me. Then, when they finally do, I can't make eye contact and my automatic reaction is to try to end the conversation so I feel less awkward.

So, how do I get rid of this 'fear'? Should I just fasten my seat belt and start going to group organizations? I guess there really isn't a way around that haha. Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is something to be said for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone once in a while. Going to a group organization might not be a bad idea - and it's okay to be nervous. Just because you're not a dramatic center of attention doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, and maybe just being there and getting yourself out will be reason enough, even if you do feel awkward.

It's not foolish to have an ideal on love - most people imagine what they want their relationships to look like at least to some degree. The key, as you've already noticed, is taking the small steps to get there, because the ideal won't be reached in a single leap. The more you get used to meeting new people - whether in groups or individually - the more relaxed you'll be.

3. yes

yes

for most people it gets easier the more you do it. so if you expose yourself to situation where you have to be social, and you try hard to force yourself to talk to people, you will probably feel better after a while!