1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel Kinda Trapped...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rakkaus, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright, I just wrote a really long post here about how I depressed I already was and lost it all because of the worthless garbage that is Firefox, which I will never ever use again. :frowning2: But I'll try again...

So I've told a few people on here my pathetic story, but it's probably unfair to keep bothering them with my nonsense. Though I've been reluctant to ever post anything here, especially since I get the sense that I'm generally disliked by people on this forum, but oh well, here goes...kinda long as I've had a lot build up in particular as my life has kinda gone downhill since I got back to the states around the time I joined this forum in August.

Now I graduated college in May, and then did a study abroad in Moscow for the summer. When I got back, I moved back in with my parents in New York, where I don't really even know anyone anymore, because I didn't really have anywhere else to go right away, after spending four years at college in Massachusetts. I thought it would be a temporary arrangement while I got my life together. It wasn't.

I've applied for jobs, I've gotten a few interviews, but never gotten any positions. I've even applied for volunteer positions with AmeriCorps and got rejected for all of them. My resume is pathetic, I have no useful skills or anything, nobody will hire me.

So now I'm stuck living with my mother and stepfather. My relationship with them was rocky before, but being around them all the time the past few months, it has really started to reach boiling point. I just can't take the constant tearing down every day about how I'm a waste and I don't have a job or a life or anything (as if this is how I want it!). I'm probably going to get kicked out soon. My stepfather constantly reminds me of how much he wants to kick me out, claiming I'm only still here because of my mother, even though she tells me all the time too that she wants me out of her home. One thing that is clear is that this is certainly not my home. I almost kinda wish I would just get out kicked, I really HATE this way of living. What I want more than anything is to just get a job, move out, and come out, but it seems there is no escaping my predicament.

Now I've only begun to really question and accept my sexuality in my last year of college, after being in denial for so long. My family, especially my father, is homophobic; not really the "homosexuality is a sin" type, but more of a "gays are disgusting freaks to make fun of and stay away from" kind of mindset. There are no LGBTQ people in my family as far as I'm aware, and the idea of me being gay was certainly never acknowledged as a possibility.

Now for the longest time I was unsure of whether I was gay or bi and decided to identify as bisexual. After watching all these YouTube videos of kids coming out to their mothers, with the mothers responding with hugs and crying and promising to love their children no matter what, I was inspired to try to come out to my mother.

So when she and my stepfather came to visit me at college one time, after being too obtuse to take a hint from the giant rainbow flag I had put on my dorm room wall, I finally privately blurted out to my mother that I was bisexual. Her response was to ask "How do you know?" followed by "Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?" followed by "Well, make sure you do safe 'everything'" all without a hint of emotion and then she left. After all the years of internal struggle and preparation for this moment of coming out, I was left basically in tears by her apathy toward me. Since then she's never acknowledged me as having coming out, although I wear a rainbow bracelet everywhere now, other than a few drunken times where she's made stupid joke comments about me having a boyfriend and a girlfriend. I don't even identify as bi anymore, but clearly she took me and my coming out as a joke to be ridiculed and at this point I don't want to come out to her or to anyone in my family as gay. I want to move as far away from here as I possibly can. :tears:

But of course, as I mentioned, I only recently was able to accept my sexuality; my teens were wasted, I'm 22 already, I really want to get out and see the world, and explore my sexuality; instead I feel like I am wasting away and growing old without experiencing life. No boyfriend, no real friends in the outside world, no job, no home, no skills, no life, no value. :confused:

For years I struggled with social anxiety and depression, especially during high school, but I thought I had overcome them in four years away at college. But now in just a few months of coincidentally living back home again I feel like I'm falling back into social anxiety and depression very quickly. Just a few months ago I almost got mugged in an alley when I went out drinking with some Ukrainians I met in a Moscow park until 6 in the morning... now I'm afraid to walk out the door in broad daylight in the neighborhood I grew up in. And my mother and stepfather (and my father and sister, for that matter) have never bothered to understand what I was going through when I was diagnosed with social anxiety as a young teen, yelling at me for embarrassing them if I ever had an anxiety attack over a social situation or something; they certainly haven't started caring now.:icon_sad:

I just feel like I'm trapped in a vicious cycle, a catch-22 of sorts.

I don't know what to do at this point to escape. I have student loan debt bills already coming due. I need to find a job that will pay enough to cover those and still get me self-sufficient. My father was always pressuring me to go law school, so being desperate I studied for and took the LSAT to get into law school in October; I did alright but not as well as I would have hoped. I'm taking again, but I'm not sure my motivations to go are for the right reasons. While there are fields of law I'm interested in, I'm not sure whether the actual job is for me, not to mention the market is bad and I'd have more debt. I just feel like I have no other options to break out of this rut.

(And yeah, I know how especially pathetic this is all since I'm 22 and closeted to my parents when kids are kicked out of their house at like 16 for courageously coming out.)

When I was growing up as a child it was a very homophobic environment both at home and at school, so I became a homophobic uber-Christian to hide my own secret. I gave up on piano lessons, dancing, drawing, writing; anything creative that would get me accused of being faggot. I deliberately dressed horribly and feigned disinterest in clothes or fashion or how I looked so I would be thought to be a 'straight slob'. Now I wish I were able to do something cool and creative for a living, but it seems like it's too late...I'm not qualified to do anything, I can never come out, I just feel trapped at this point and I don't know how this can end in any way other than badly. :frowning2: :help:

(Sorry this is so long, probably too long for people to read, but I guess I just needed to vent somewhere.)

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. It just sounds like we need to talk. That's what it sounds like... (*hug*)

3. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

Sorry to hear.....typing this message from Chrome here - Firefox is no longer on my computer either. :wink: I hope things with your mother and stepfather feel more peaceful soon.

4. Pyrotactick

I'm touched by your life! No...I don't hate you (I get the same feeling too sometimes...although this is the internet...right?).

Well...I could suggest some things about you moving out. You could always look for roommates. You can usually find nice people and help through that. Also, you say that your resume isn't too good, perhaps you could do some research to touch up on that. It is a problem these days since the way people apply for jobs is a bit different now (I'm talking about this based on experience from web design and programming). People I know didn't even put in what college they went to or anything, they just said they worked at this place for a certain amount of time, and they want to join. If you have any friends that work in a job that you have some experience in or you could apply for, then ask them to help you on your resume and refer you (or whatever it's called). If all else fails....just get a job (any job) and seize any opportunity you can to get higher. Making a vlog might bring in some youtube money, just talk about yourself and make it kinda funny (sorry if this is really out of the blue....). Here's a tip about jobs: don't stay in the same company for a long time, people don't do that anymore.

...that's a rant on my behalf. Have fun reading it! Most importantly, best of wishes and good luck!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, glad you wrote it all out. You probably needed that. (*hug*)

I wouldn't describe your story/experiences as being pathetic at all. We all have things we need to work on and improve on. And even though we keep talking about things, and we read and re-read what we have written out, it can be hard to remove yourself from everything that is going on and try to start figuring things out, and moving forward.

Part of what's going on of course is that things don't seem to have worked out the way you hoped they would once you return from college and the summer abroad. By the way, studying for a summer abroad must have been pretty rewarding! :slight_smile:

I think you are being way too hard on yourself. There is no reason for it. You are only 22 years old. You still have your entire life ahead of you, enough time to gain rewarding life experiences, find a boyfriend, make lasting friendships, find a job, and gain skills that will allow you to make the most of your life.

I am sorry to hear that your relationship is rocky with your mom and step-dad. Take the threats and their behaviour and use it as a motivation to keep looking for a job and continue applying to positions. You will get some more interview chances, and will become financially independent and move out.

Going by what you have said, moving out and away from them (and as said as it sounds) is most likely the best thing that could happen to you, not only for your own mental well being but also for you to be yourself and not having to hide behind closet doors from your parents.

It is a shame that your mom hasn't treated your coming out more seriously and has proceeded to make some jokes about it. That said, it is quite possible that she is denial, and simply not ready to accept or even think about the possibility about you not being straight.

But here is the thing to remind yourself: coming out to your mom, has taken a lot of courage and you have shown a very vulnerable side of yourself. After all the questioning and internal struggles you have experienced, and being then able to come out, takes a lot of courage. For that you should be proud of yourself. (*hug*)

If you have had already a couple of interviews, that is good! It means that at least for the type of positions you applied your resume is working. Getting the interviews tells you that you have got some pretty sought-after skills. For which kinds of positions did you apply for?

It is a tough market out there, and it will require more pro-active effort. After you have completed an interview, and they e-mail or call you and say 'sorry we have chosen another candidate' ask them for pointers as to how you can do better in the next interview.

Do a follow-up and show them that you are interested in the position. Sometimes, the candidate that has been chosen does not stay in the position, and they are left with having to pick someone else. If you have done a follow-up, and shown to them you are interested, they might very well contact you (again).

Also, try to network and talk to people. If you identify a company or organization that you would like to work for or interests you, call them up, and try to set up a 'career interview' where you have the chance to talk to them about what kinds of skills and experiences they are looking for. Sometimes, these kinds of interviews can give you a number of leads to organizations/companies that are hiring and perhaps even looking for someone who can offer the skills set that you have.

If you are not sure if a job would be something for you, I would highly recommend that you do a couple of 'career interviews'. That will give you the 'insight' information you need to be able to make a good decision. Having more information might also give you clues as to what else is out there that you might be interested in pursuing.

Even though you haven't been accepted for any volunteer positions as of yet, don't give up just yet. Maybe change your strategy a little bit, by going to different organizations, such as non-profits, which are constantly looking for volunteers. Again try to talk to someone, such as a volunteer coordinator.

When you are not looking for a job, I would encourage you to take a look at what you like to do. Take a hobby or one interest and try to join an activity in your community so that you have some solid social interaction as well or at the very least, start to get to know some people and start creating some friendships.

In addition, are there any LGBT support and social groups that you could join and become a part of? I think this could help you in starting to move away from your homophobic family environment and allow you to experience something different, which in turn might give you a different perspective on things as well.

Hang in there. If you need to, take it one day at a time. Things have a way of working out. (*hug*)

#5 Mirko, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well thank you for reading it, I didn't expect anyone to do so. (*hug*)

Yeah, I suppose so, though I wish I would have had things better planned from the beginning. I went into college not sure what I was doing and graduated four years later hardly having made any progress in that regard.

That's why I especially feel the need to go back to school in some capacity so I will have a degree that is actually employable.

Well it seemed so at the time, though in retrospect I don't know how productive it was for me. I gazed upon the corpse of Lenin, and then recrudesced upon the U$A to experience life under Capitalism in all of its glory.

Well thank you, I hope so, but I see plenty of reason to despair rather than be optimistic. I mean things just seem to get worse and worse by the day, and I get older and older. Plus, the longer I don't have a job the more it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that I'm not going to get one, as employers want to know what I've been doing all this time and I don't really have an explanation.

But seriously, who would ever want to be a boyfriend to an unemployed loser with debt, no job, and living with his parents? I'm embarrassed to have to talk about myself when they ask what I do.

I wonder whether I should try being like George Costanza from Seinfeld, when he gets a woman to go out with him by introducing himself saying "Hello, my name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents." :eusa_doh:

I don't think so, I don't get many interviews, and those I do I screw up anyway. Every job experts you already have a ton of experience, and I have none, and it's a catch-22 since I can't get experience if nobody will hire me in the first place.

I have been doing a little bit of work as a busboy/waiter at my father's fledgling restaurant, but that was not very productive work, he's struggling enough himself, not much business there, not to mention my father is the last person I could ever be open about my sexuality to.

Yeah I do believe this is true. Right now I just want to get away from them; it's no coincidence that I feel the worst depression and anxiety after spending four months with them that I've felt in the four years since I left high school for college.

I do think it is sad though, maybe after some separation things will change between us, but right now it is just an untenable situation.

I think the problem is she just doesn't take me seriously. She (and her husband) still want to dictate how I dress, what kind of haircut I get, when I'm allowed to close the door to my room, etc. It was bad enough as teenager never being given an ounce of freedom to be myself as an individual and grow up, but now it's just gotten pathetic. She doesn't take me seriously and doesn't treat me seriously.

With regard to sexuality in particular, I've gotten the impression that she (and my sister) have a perception of queer people as the other, perhaps circus clowns to be seen on television but not possibly existing in their own family. They watch that dreadful show Glee and make fun of the Kurt character in front of me. Perhaps my voice isn't high-pitched enough for her to believe I could really be gay or bi.

There was also a childhood friend I had, we started at the same high school, but he got kicked out, got into drugs and problems, later got a GED and has been to a bunch of colleges or whatever...but apparently he came out as gay at some point. My mother went to a wedding for his brother and when she came home was telling me all his problems and then finished off saying "And, he's gay" with a tone as if to say 'oh what a freak, we don't bother with those people'...the implication was that I would share this view, apparently by this point having completely disregarded my "coming out".

Well thank you again, but really it all came out to nothing. It gave me no closure or comfort; I regret doing it, really. All it does is make me feel especially vulnerable now.

Funny before I decided to do that I spent a lot of time rationalizing in my head the idea that since I wouldn't call my parents to tell them if I had sex with a girl, why would I ever need to tell them that I was interested in boys. Now I wish I had stuck to that silly mindset, coming out to family members is overrated.

Well, I've had a couple of interviews, but these are positions which had big applications and separate essays and stuff, not ones where I'd be dependent on just my resume. My resume is complete and utter garbage. The most embarrassing part when I've gone for interviews is when I have to hand them a copy of my resume.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Well, the problem is I don't actually know any people to network with in the first place. I'm basically a newcomer to this city at this point.

I recently worked up the courage to join a online dating site; at the very least I hoped I could meet friends to network with or something.

Well, I wish I had the luxury of having multiple careers to choose from...unfortunately I'll take anything I can get at this point. :confused:

AmeriCorps positions are I think pretty much all filled already by now. And in any event, a volunteer position wouldn't get me out of my current predicament as I still wouldn't be able to afford to move out.

Hmm, I wish I had an idea of what to do in this regard. I don't know what activities there are in this community (I know Pret Allez recommended fencing but I don't know about that around here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

We used to have a family gym membership at the YMCA but it was cancelled, not that it matters since stress has burned weight off of me like the treadmill never could.

Well, there's an LGBT center I've been thinking about joining since I got back here. I didn't even know it was here, it opened up during the time I was away at college.

Unfortunately I didn't bother contacting them in the summer cause I figured I wouldn't be here long and would probably be moving somewhere else.

They had a youth group meeting in the summer, but I don't think even still have it this time of year according to their calendar, plus it was for ages 13-24, and I'd feel rather old to be in such a pathetic position.

Plus the center was damaged by Hurricane Sandy and flooded, along with lots of homes around there. I'd feel rather lame to be bothering them with my petty personal problems while people are dealing with real hardship around there.

Well thank you very much, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read and reply like that, I am definitely taking all of your advice into consideration. (*hug*)

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reading through your response a few more thoughts came to mind.... thought I'll share them with you.

Sometimes, things don't work out the way we planned them, but in the grander things of life, it is okay. Even though you went to college not exactly knowing what you wanted to, you still gained some knowledge and transferable skills from that education.

Maybe the starting point for you would be to think about what kinds of skills and knowledge you gained from you education? Every education will give you a set of skills, that you can use in getting that first employment experience.

I think it is great though that you would like to go back and get an education that you feel will help you to find employment later on. One thing to consider as well, and before you register in a program would be to talk to an career/education counselor at the college. Sometimes, they'll also conduct an aptitude test, that will help to guide you in choosing something that you could like and see yourself doing.

It is safe to say that as long as you don't have a huge gap, say a ten year gap between your schooling and before you apply to a job, you are going to be fine. No employer is going to really care if there is a one or two year gap on your resume. Everyone has a gap somewhere on their resume. Should a potential employer ask, you can say "you have looked for employment during that time," which you have been doing.

There are different ways of communicating that. :slight_smile:

One way would be to say, "I finished school and came back from a term studying abroad recently, and have started to look for a job." People will follow your lead and will react to how you phrase or term what you are doing at the moment.

That is true, however, try to get into the entry level positions. If it means having to get a job (and yes even though it is not the best one) in the customer service field, then this is where you might have to start. Often times, even just a short employment time in any job, can help you to get into another position. Every experience that you gain, is one more experience that you can add to your resume.

Okay, so before you submit your resume, have someone look at it, and ask them to give you some pointers as to how you could format your resume. Does your local employment office have a service that would provide for feedback on the resume, even if it is just basic feedback?

To start networking you don't necessarily need to know anyone. Sure it helps, but you can always just try e-mailing or calling someone, and asking them "would it be possible to speak for a couple of minutes to the hiring manager or someone who could give me a a couple of pointers on entry level jobs."

And you can do this even with Starbucks! :slight_smile:

Even though it is called a 'career or informational interview' you can do this for any job, really. All that it really is, you going in, or initiating contact and a conversation in an effort to get information about what someone is looking for. That will allow you to think more deeply what you can offer with the skills that you have. Even if you would just go in, introduce yourself to the hiring manager or try talking with them about possible opportunities, that is part of networking. :slight_smile:

Maybe after some separation and time away, will allow you to start building a better relationship with your mom. However, and only if you feel comfortable and feel it would be okay, maybe try to create some boundaries with your mom, and remind her that you are no longer a young teenager, and have a good idea as to what you think looks good, and feels right for you.

Not sure if you are out to your sister, but reading through this part, I was wondering, have you tried communicating to them as to how this makes you feel, plus everything else she has mentioned to you, in regards to your sexuality?

I can understand why you would regret having come out. On the other hand, if you would have stuck with (and to use your words) silly mindset, it would have just meant postponing the inevitable. (*hug*)

Never feel pathetic for trying to join something. If you don't feel comfortable contacting the LGBT centre, maybe there is another group within the city that you could try contacting. Whatever you feel comfortable with. (*hug*)

#7 Mirko, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Average Joe

Hi Rakkaus,

I'm afraid I don't have much advice to give you. Especially now, after two elaborate posts from Mirko (I feel like I should be making notes myself). Anyway, I just wanted to second the statement that once you get a job (any job at this point), it'd be best to start looking for roommates, which hopefully will bring down the overall cost of living a little bit. Getting out of the homophobic enviorment that is your home, will help you to be more open about yourself, more comfortable. You'll feel better and, as a result, you will be able to focus on being creative, finding a better job (or even two, if that's possible) and start living your life. Sorry, I know that's not much. I just wanted to let you know that we're here for you to help you get through a rough patch. Take care (*hug*)

9. Lad123

Aww I just want to give you a big hug right now! (*hug*)

I can see how similar our positions are when you posted on my thread a while back. I know how you feel about being trapped at home with no social life and can't find a graduate job. It's draining but you just got to stay strong man, it won't be like this forever. I'm sure an opportunity will come up, you just got to stay positve and believe it :slight_smile:

You mentioned volunteering for AmeriCorps? Have you looked at any other charities nearby since there must be some that are desperate for help. Have you tried applying for regular jobs like at supermarkets and restaurants etc? I know, not very appealing but at least you will be getting some money and experience, its a lot better than being unemployed.

Sorry I didn't have much advice but If you want to talk just hit me a message and I'll get back to you :icon_mrgr

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The problem is, a liberal arts education doesn't provide any real skills.

The model for it dates to a time when the only people who went to college were blue-bloods who were already rich and had connections (like Willard Mitt Romney); kinda outdated as it doesn't work very well for people who actually need to get jobs afterwards and don't have the connections.

I wish I had gone to school and gotten a degree in something worthwhile, something creative preferably. Now I'm a graduate with a crap degree, too old for a redo of my life. And time is just flying by, I can't believe it's December already, I feel like my graduation was just yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't have access to anything at my college anymore. I went to college up in Massachusetts and I would have no way of getting up there from New York.

To go back to school now would be have to be a graduate program at a different school.

Yeah but sooner or later they are going to pry and get to the core truth of my patheticness, no matter how I try to sugarcoat it at first. I've been back since August already and have gotten nowhere. And there's no way to escape the most depressing part that I live with my overbearing parents.

Yeah, but I wish I could GET an entry-level job in the first place. :confused:

I don't even know if there is a local employment office or where I would find one.

There's only so many ways to try to polish the turd that is my resume, unless I'm going to just flat-out lie on it. If I'm going to get hired it's likely just going to have to be by someone who doesn't care that much about resumes.

Erm, I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Who exactly am I e-mailing in this case? Just random people at a random company?

I'm still not following...where I am finding this person to interview?

To be honest, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to be finding job opportunities. All I've been applying to have been job listings posted online. This can't be the only way to get jobs.

It really sucks with this stupid holiday crap coming up, I'm going to have to see all family members and they're all going to be asking what I'm doing and prodding. I'll be hearing from my father about how my cousin is making $300 an hour right out of law school and my other cousin's an engineer, and I'm nothing.

Meanwhile I'm taking this LSAT tomorrow (actually just 7 hours from now, I should be getting to bed!) which I'm not ready for, will probably do worse than my first time, and am not even sure it's what I want to do. The anxiety attacks are killing me.

Well, I think even as a young teenager her attempt to dominate my life was rather inappropriate. Really gave me no room to grow up as an individual at all. Not being allowed to close the door to my room? Seriously?

Oh well, I've finally worked up the courage to go through a teenage rebellion stage, at age 22. :bang:

Nah, I'm not out to my sister. I don't have much of a close relationship with her either. She's going to college next year. Would figure a girl her age to be more progressive and have gay friends and such, but she's a homophobe who thinks gays are gross too.

As for my mother, I've tried to talk to her, but she just doesn't seem to care how I feel. Sometimes I really feel like I'm talking to a child when I'm talking to her (or anyone in this house really), like there's no higher thought processes going on in there. I always think about and reflect on things and try to look at things from other angles; I get the sense that she just doesn't. When I came out to her, it evidently didn't provoke any deep soul-searching on her part, she never thought to change her ways or examine why it took me so long to feel comfortable coming out.

As I mentioned, the day I came out they had come up and I added a pretty gigantic rainbow flag as well as bi pride flag to my dorm room wall, hoping she might take a hint or it could at least provoke questions or conversation. But no, she didn't even appear to notice them or the rainbow dog tag I was wearing, so I had to force the conversation in the last five minutes while she was on her way out. It's just so frustrating, I don't know how I came from a family of people who go through life with such a narrow, one-dimensional, oblivious view of the world, never questioning or examining anything, including one's own thoughts and actions.

Well, I don't know if it was really inevitable. I don't think they really need to know the details of my life. I would be mortified to ever have to bring a boyfriend to meet them (though I was mortified at the thought of having to bring a girlfriend to meet them too).

I wouldn't have minded being one of those who first moves off to a far-off city establish my own independence, live my own lifestyle, and let them find out later on.

Of course there are other LGBT centres in New York, but I suppose I shouldn't look for another one without even giving this one a try.

Besides, the well-known Ali Forney Center in Manhattan, which always has commercials on the gay network LOGO, was supposedly completely destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.

But I don't know if my sexuality is even my biggest problem right now, it's mainly the whole employment and lifestyle arrangement situation, I don't know how much an LGBT center could help with that.

I mean I don't know if I'm even wasting everyone's time here, since this is supposed to be a support forum for coming-out about sexuality and gender, and sexuality issues are at most secondary at this point to my bigger problems.

If I had been able to wake up to reality just one year earlier, things would have turned out so much better, I'd be still at college and have the on-campus LGBT organization and support group to join, I'd be able to focus exclusively on accepting my sexuality within the safe confines of campus without having to do it at the same time I was thrown into the outside world, I'd have time to get my career plans in order so I'd know what I was doing when I graduated...but unfortunately it all had to happen just one year too late.:eusa_doh:

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tend to agree with you that at the moment finding a job and being able to move out is probably the thing you want to concentrate on at the moment. So lets start with that. :slight_smile:

You do not need to lie on your resume. Sure a lot of employers don't really care about a resume, however, a lot of others do. Even if you go into a coffee shop to inquire about a job, it is always good to have a resume (even if it is just a basic resume) on hand.

Now, what I am going to suggest is going to require some work on your part but doing that might help you to start thinking about skills and how you could build your resume.

First, think back on your education. I want you to think about all the courses you took. Trust me, even a liberal arts degree will give you transferable skills that you can use in the labour market. When you think about the courses you have taken, don't think so much in terms of content, but rather what did you do?

• Did you have assignments?
    • Did you write papers?
    • Did you have to complete a project?
    • Did you write a report for a project?
    • Did you deliver a presentation to the class?
    • Etc...

Once you have given it some thought, I want you to start making a list of the skills you have used in accomplishing your school work.

For example: if you had to complete a project, what were the steps that you took to complete it? Did you have to look up information? Use the internet? Did you look stuff up in the library? Write a synopsis on the project idea? Communicate with someone, say another class mate on sharing the work?

If you do not have an experience to cover the skills that are required or sought after, it is okay to highlight a few thins that you have accomplished (either at school, or even in your personal life) where you have used a skills. An employer cares about as to whether you can apply and use a skill.

Going back to the example of completing a project: some of the skills used would be: communication skills, finding information, using the internet to find information or data, summarizing ideas, delivering a presentation.

If you browse through the job postings online, what kind of skills do you see listed on them? For most job postings there will be some specific skills requirements but also more general ones. The more general skills or also called essential skills, and some of them are:

• Time management skills
    • Organizational skills
    • Communications skills (both oral and written)
    • Problem solving skills
    • Analytical skills

Using this list, I want you to think about, where have you used these skills? How have you used them?

Once you have done that, I want you to think about the time you worked for your dad. Even though it wasn't a very good and it was a short experience, this experience could help you get a job for now.

I want you to think about what tasks you did. And then I want you to think about, how did I accomplish the task? What did I do? Write it all out. Make a list of all the tasks that you had to complete.

Now, using the skills list you have developed, I want you to go back to the job postings, and think about how could you apply your skills to that posting/position. Make a list of all entry level positions (i.e. the ones that require no to very little experience) that cover some of the skills that you have identified that you have. With that, you can start writing your resume.

I found a link on the New York State Department of Labor. You might be able to find an office on their, that could start helping you or refer you to another employment office. Call, or better go there in person and talk to them about getting help in finding work, or perhaps a lead to another organization/service provider that could help you.

You might also want to check out some of your local community centres as they very well might also offer some support or some information that could help you as well.

Some service/support centres will also help you to write a resume. Or at least they will give you hints and tips on how you could write one.

Depending for which kind of position you would like to have more information, you either go in person and ask if you could speak with the hiring manager, or you e-mail the secretary of the organization (if it is an office). If you want to e-mail check out the 'contact us' information, and have a read through the main staff list (if it is listed). Usually you can easily e-mail administrative assistants/coordinators, or human resource/hiring mangers. If you only find a generic e-mail address, try calling the reception and take it from there.

If you e-mail a secretary, ask her/him if they could recommend someone in the company/organization with whom you could talk for 10 minute about possible opportunities and what they would be looking for in an ideal candidate.

Should you be interested in the retail/customer service sector, you can just walk down a street that has lots of shops, and take note of the places that have a hiring sign in their window. Go in an ask for the hiring manager. If the hiring manager is in, great! If not, ask for the name and when he/she will be back.

Once you meet with the hiring manager, ask him/her about the available opportunity as well as "what are you looking for in the ideal candidate?" Take note of what he/she says, and then try to put your resume together as best as you can, and drop it off.

With some places you might find they are not hiring at the moment, but you can still ask to have a brief meeting with the hiring manager, or the person who is reviewing applications/resumes. If they grant you a brief meeting, you can ask them:

• When do you usually hire?
    • What are you looking for in a candidate?
    • For what kind of positions do you usually hire?
    • What kind of skills would you expect to see on a resume?

Now, for a lot of places (whether it be a coffee shop, a store, fast food place, shopping malls, etc...), you can just walk in, and drop of an application that they might require you to fill out, or your resume. Keep in mind however, that some places might have implemented an online application system only. So maybe do a quick search online fist to see if a place you would like to apply to has an online application system only. They will likely tell you on their career website if it is the case. If it does not say that, go in person first.

While you are looking for a job, remind yourself that you are doing this for yourself. Never ever classify yourself as being nothing. Don't worry what your cousins makes, don't worry about if your cousin has completed law school. Yes, it is easier said than done, however, focusing on and worrying about that, will not allow you to really concentrate on what you need to do in your own job search.

Try to relax. It's okay if you don't feel ready at the moment. Try to do as much as you can. If it doesn't work out, it's okay. I think you can re-take the LSAT if I'm not mistaken (but double check on that).

Try not to hammer away at what could have been. It is okay. You can still accomplish everything you want to do by starting to implementing the first couple of steps that will allow you to start moving on from your current situation.

Things have a tendency to work out. Start working on getting things back on track! (*hug*)

#11 Mirko, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. Meropspusillus

As Mirko has already pointed out, while a liberal arts education doesn't offer the same sort of technical skills other schools might offer that doesn't mean you're skill-less. Maybe it's because I went to a liberal arts school too, but my understanding is that many employers actually value a liberal arts education.

Skills like knowing how to solve problems, how to communicate with co-workers, or how to write are extraordinarily valuable skills that employers might not necessarily ask for, but are important to communicate anyways. Mirko's advice in this is better than mine, but I'm sure you have important skills. The new problem becomes how do you communicate this set of skills to potential employers?

I also think it's worth it to include your study abroad in Moscow on your resume and to highlight what you did there.

Does your school have an office of alumni relations or something like that, or are there any professors that you had good relationships with that you could e-mail with? Schools want their alumni to succeed, and it might be worth it to find what sort of resources are available to you through various sources there.

But you aren't pathetic. Tons and tons of recent graduates are unemployed, or living with their parents. I've read your posts around the site, and generally you express your views eloquently and you seem intelligent. Avoid using the word pathetic to describe yourself, because it isn't true.

Don't worry, you're not wasting anyone's time. This is a support site for any issue that any of our members have. We're happy to be here for this sort of support as well. You're going through a hard time right now, but as everyone's said: things tend to have a way of working themselves out. (*hug*)

13. an0nchick

(*hug*):tears: I hate my life as well. I feel so under qualified. I'm about to graduate from college, but no positive outlook on my career. I feel like a loser compared to my own mother. Wait, you just made me realize something....brb....

14. Faden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might have missed the answer to this in going through all the above, but do you have any options as far as getting therapy? I was allowed to use my parents' insurance to obtain psychotherapy and meds until I was somewhere in my 20s. It sounds like your issues with anxiety and self-esteem need to be addressed somehow. If there's no insured options, I second going to the LGBT center. My first experience with one put me in touch with genuinely caring people who show up every day for a reason: to help you, an LGBT person.

I have PTSD, chronic anxiety, and a lot of issues with socializing too. One of the best things I ever did was get a good shrink, get a good diagnosis, and get on disability.

Government help is not an option, or the right option, for everyone, but in my case it changed things a lot-- I got laid off right as the economy was turning down, couldn't find a new job, became extremely depressed, and by the time I did find a job I was such a mess mentally that I couldn't do it effectively and had to give it up.

Now, I'm able to address my mental health issues without worrying so much about money or independence, and I'm reaching the point where I feel stable enough again to get back into the job market.

I don't have a lot of marketable skills either-- no college degree, which bars me from a lot of things I'm capable of doing-- but in my experience hard work and a good attitude go a long way with potential employers. I'm even thinking about making money from tarot reading, which is a skill I picked up well outside the bounds of any school.

15. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    Don't worry about the past times .. whats passed is gone .. don't think about it too much .. only learn from it and keep going ...

You said you like creative jobs right .. don't feel like you stayed away from it so its useless right now .. if there is one thing good about creativity is that it doesn't really die .. ever ...

What do you like to do to express yourself ? .. you said you took some piano lessons .. do you like to play the piano ? maybe compose even ? .. just know this .. creativity is only a form of expression .. its the expression of a feeling .. all art is just a feeling .. and merely tools to express those feelings .. writing ? its using words to express feelings .. drawing ? using lines to express a feeling .. music ? is using harmonic and dissonant sounds to create a feeling .. that is what art and creativity is .. if you had that feeling from the beginning and you abandoned it then rest assured its still there .. you just need to be motivated to wake it up .. think about what creative outlet do like to do and start doing it .. right now ...

Do you like video games ? maybe like 90% of the generation that was born from the 80's up :lol: ? .. if you do .. you might try to get a job as a tester for a video game studio .. its not well paid in the beginning .. and it might not even be paid .. but it will get you a nice thing on your resume .. you could even make it into the game industry through first working as a game tester ...

If you feel the need to talk to someone please feel free to contact me ...

16. Jeph

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rakkaus,

Your thinking is very negative and pessimistic. You should really try and get some cognitive behavioral therapy...irrational, negative thoughts are at the root of your problems, not your situation in life. You need to look at things from a very different perspective.

You discount your education and your experience so readily--you do realize only about 30% of the adult population have a college degree, right? Yet you're so quick to dismiss yourself as a "loser".

So many recent college graduates are struggling in the same situation as you are--unemployed or underemployed. Many are in grad school waiting for the labor market to improve. There's no shame in your struggle.

If you don't know what resources are available to you, search, ask and look! Mirko provided a depth of advice here. You need to be proactive to turn your life around. Don't wait for help to fall on your lap.

And in case you think I don't understand, I personally went through a similar situation. I graduated in 2009 in the depths of the recession, and struggled to find a job. I lived with my parents for over a year, and I never had a good relationship with them.

But once I found a job and moved away from my family, I quickly improved and now I'm working full-time and in grad school at the same time. To reiterate what others have said, you need to get yourself out of your parents' house. It's a debilitating environment. Do whatever you can, take any job and find a roommate.

Then you need to get to work uprooting all that negative thinking--it'll go a long way towards improving your mood and your outlook in life. You'd be surprised how that alone with help you in getting to a better place, personally and professionally.

17. PeteNJ

Rakkaus (and an0nchick, too) -- sure, therapists and counselors can be great to get things moving in your life, you might also consider a "personal coach" -- they'll work with you on your job search, goals, and so on and can be really great. Check into what the career centers offer at your school, they may have something like that or an alumni network who will work with you. Good luck -- Pete

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hey all,

Thanks for all the support; I've read and am taking to heart all of your advice and comments. :slight_smile:

I typically like to give thorough point-by-point responses to every post, I'm not sure yet I'll be able to do that: I'm overwhelmed by how strongly the community here came through, again thanks so much guys! (*hug*)

Reading back over everything, I'm a little embarrassed by the long-winded, rambling, stream of consciousness way of expressing myself here, sorry about that, that's why I was afraid to even come back into this thread. I've been in an especially poor state of mind lately; usually I only do something embarrassing on the internet when I'm drunk. (I was on one of those gay hookup apps last Summer while drunk, I have only a vague recollection of the kind of things I was saying, and I still haven't dared to log back on no matter how many messages I get, for fear of ever seeing how badly embarrassed myself that night. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

But anyway, Saturday I took the LSAT test. This is my 2nd time taking it. I took it in October, and then had only a month in between. I feel like I could have done so much better if I had actually had time to prepare and take classes or something. My SAT score was what got me into college despite my mediocre high school grades, I sorta need to knock the LSAT out of the park if I went to get into a decent law school since my college grades were even worse.

Though again I'm not entirely sure I even want to go to law school and become a lawyer at this point. It just seems like the easiest ticket out of here; I don't know if I'd even apply to any New York area schools, I'd rather to the West Coast or maybe at least Boston or DC. Even if I go I'm still stuck here for another year, ugh... :/

Alas here I go rambling again...:eusa_doh:

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd just like to mention that you're not very old at all. I'm one year older than you, and I haven't even graduated yet.

20. PeteNJ

Rakkaus -- When I was in college I graduated with about as liberal art a degree as you could imagine. I applied to grad school, because I didn't know what to really do -- and got it, so I went for 3 years. I finished grad school, THEN didn't really want to do what I went to school for, but hey I had a graduate degree then! It helped a lot in getting a job that I had gone beyond college for sure. And after working a couple years, I knew what I wanted to do -- and have done well in my career. Don't worry about not knowing what you "want to be when you grow up" -- I think what you're doing is a great idea. Taking the LSAT and applying for law school gives you another option -- then its your choice. Pete