1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely (again..) - need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Luke Matt, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Luke Matt

So I've been feeling down again lately, mainly because I have no one that I can truly express my feelings/emotions/thoughts to. There's this local (gay) youth group that's running a couple of social events over the summer holidays and I've been thinking of going (in the hopes of meeting new people); thing is, I'm still closeted and so I'll either have to go 'in cognito' or come out to my (immediate) family/friends prior to attending the event. I'm considering the latter though, as I'm so over lying to everyone all the time just to protect myself and those around me.

Also, should I go... fingers crossed I find a certain someone D:

Anyway, advice?

2. yes

yes

i think you should go if you feel you're ready for it! it might be a lot of fun and a good new experience as you'll be able to be open about stuff :slight_smile:

3. rday13

rday13 Guest

A gay youth group sounds pretty awesome! I was only a member of Catholic youth groups growing up....not fun (to paraphrase, apparently they believed being an asexual gay man was ok...yeah, but yet all these good catholics could be horny toads).
    It sounds like you might meet some fun people over there, whom you can express yourself around and maybe feel a bit less lonely.

If you feel ready to come out to some immediate family and friends, go for it. Perhaps choose an appropriate time to broach the subject of attending a local youth group and then come out. Sometime when everyone is relaxed. I'm not sure how your family would react, but my fingers are crossed for you :slight_smile:

Hope you find a certain someone too!

#3 rday13, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  4. None

On the dark side of the moon, running to the east.
    You better go .. you don't have to be like "O HAI I am here because I am gay too" .. I am sure there will be a lot of people just gathering for a social event who aren't gay simply because its an event arranged by gay people .. its a social event after all ...

If you can take a close friend with you that would be better .. maybe be that one friend who you feel -s/he- will be the most accepting of you when you come out ? .. either way (alone or with someone .. identify as gay or lie about it .. etc.) just go and see what happens ...

5. john1984

It's not a bad idea to go and see what it's like. It's always good to take chances it's what makes life interesting. Not chances like doing destructive things but oh you probly know what i mean. I think too if you were to come out to a few people much of that loneliness would go away. I know it would. I have good friends and they're all straight and i'm quite happy it doesn't bother me at all i don't know any other gay people. All the one's i have met i don't fit in with at all and i haven't really cared for them much either. I'm just a normal guy who happens to like other guys so i fit in well with my straight friends. I don't even like the whole idea of putting everyone into groups and identifying with that. I think it seperates us from each other. But yeah um it wouldn't hurt to go and if you're really sick of the lies and secrets coming out would be a great idea.

6. teluphone

you're not alone. I kinda wished i had stayed back in Melbourne seeing as LGBT support groups are almost non-existent over here. Perhaps after i graduate

7. Brenny

If you feel ready to come out, go for it! That would undoubtedly be a good opportunity for you!

8. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

If you decide to go, I hope it goes great!

9. Meropspusillus

If you're feeling ready to come out, chances are that you are ready to come out. I think that attending would be an awesome idea, and you should do it if you can.