1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacation with the Jesus-freaks...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiorino, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Fiorino

So, I've been staying at my extended family's house on my break off of school
    for the last three days. They're really nice, it's good to see them again, except
    for a few little details about both of us that clash. Well, I'm bi. And they're
    sort of fundamentalist Christian. They're really nice people, it's just the
    details that tend to...be problematic at times. My immediate family isn't
    fundamentalist, and I myself am semi-agnostic. My grandmother tends to
    be a preacher at times too. No, more like all the time. She keeps talking about
    how Christianity is the only way that makes sense, how she doesn't see how
    intelligent people can't believe in God, etc... Last night my cousin had some
    of her friends over (Boys+girls). We had a lot of fun, except for their occasional
    gay jokes (apparently every awkward moment a gay baby is born), and then
    there was this one guy who was REALLY REALLY hot. I really wanted to kiss
    him really badly but I knew that it was a bad idea. Even if he was like me, he probably
    wouldn't accept himself, and he didn't act like it anyways so I doubt it. A litte bit
    later, my guy cousin came over too and hung out with us. He spent the night last
    night, and I told him I was bi. He said he was ok with it, that he wouldn't treat
    me differently but that he thought it was wrong. We had a long discussion about it
    and just decided to agree to disagree. I had a counter-argument for everything that
    he said though and he said "I think" a lot too. He thinks that I can't really love a guy, that it's just lust. I have to disagree... I honestly don't see what the is the resulting harm that makes loving a guy a sin either. But as I said, I'm not that religious. When I told my (guy) cousin, it was in my (girl) cousin's room, and it was really quiet, I thought she might hear us but she was asleep. So, when I woke up this morning, I could have sworn hearing my aunt below saying "bi" in an accusative tone and then my uncle saying "you don't see that every day" or something like that. I totally freaked out. First, I put my pillow over my head and tried not to think about it, and then I went to get my phone and texted my best-friend way long distance to ask what to do. I came up with three stategies: -The "What are you talking about?" strategy, -The "Oh, jee, I guess you're right..." (but not seriously), and -The "bite me" strategy. I told my (guy) cousin that nothing ever happened and then I went downstairs. Well, I didn't see anything unusual so I think I'm ok. *phew* We went to lunch at a restaurant a little while afterwards and then my grandma (who's getting a little crazy) started lecturing me again with her extreme ideas. Apparently America will never go down because it's the most Christian nation ever. No offense to any christians here- but fundamentalism is overdoing it a bit.
    When we went to my other aunts house, we started talking about politics (my family is very conservative), and then my grandma preached again. The me who I was raised to be and the me who I really am had a little fight. I started to feel really bad, and I had to go to the bathroom a little while afterwards to have a good look at myself and get rid of their influence to analyse the situation. The me I was raised to be was like "you want to accept god in your heart...maybe they're right", the me I am replied "In your heart, you want to be free". It was difficult but I made it. Deep down, I'm a pretty strong person, but this week has certainly been a trial of my strength and will power. I still have one night to go, so any advice would be appreciated, otherwise I thought this story was pretty entertaining. :help:

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ow, sounds difficult. I hope everything turns out semi-decent.

And the [Enter] key is a great tool.

3. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The safest way through the rest of your stay is to be low key and more introspective. There is a possibility that if you participate too heatedly in a discussion of politics or morals that your true colors may show, and coming out to a room of fundamentalists is not a challenge most people look forward to.

4. Bryan

I am so sorry, if I had to spend a week with fundamentalist Christians, I would kill my self right then and there

5. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I LOVE having an all-atheist family! I feel so... free!