1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is straight anyway?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sscott, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sscott

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I am starting to get confused by what is straight anymore. Everyone I am around is either a girly guy, or butchy girl. Or just plainly androgynous people. For instance, one of my friends who claims to be straight is the epitome of homosexuality. He's into fashion, does theatre, choir, etc. He has even called guys pretty. Which I thought was weird diction, but okay. More recently, he bought a one direction shirt. You would have thought it would have been a joke, but he actually listens to them. I'm gay, and he's more gay than me, but he's apparently straight. This world is weird. Do you people feel like the lines of straight and gay tendencies are blending? Everything is just so odd.

2. 341

341 Guest

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason...

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I get what you mean by your posts, but there are some clarifications that might answer your question.

You are confusing both sexual orientation and gender expression. Sexual orientation is who you want to have sex with and gender expression is how you express your gender (masculine, femme, androgynous, etc). Both of them are completely separate and you can mismatch as much as you want.

So, depending on where you live, societies are slowly allowing people to play (sort of) with their gender expression. Straight guys can now feel free to be a bit more feminine, take care of themselves, and still be straight.

So yeah, people are still straight and the lines are still there, but the more liberal someone is then the more they will play with their gender expression.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Habits and cultural markers are not indicators of orientation.

Straight is being attracted exclusively to people who identify as the opposite gender as you identify.

5. theMaverick

Straight is a direction. Go straight on main street.

:grin:

:badgrin: