1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending out "feelers"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mauve, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mauve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi! I've been questioning my sexuality for a while now, but I've still kept it completely hidden away from absolutely everyone in my family. My parents aren't at all open to homosexuality, let alone bisexuality. As far as the rest of my family is concerned, I don't really know if they could accept me being bisexual or not, but I would really like to talk to one of my closest family members about it. I was wondering if there were any ways to subtly test the waters by asking questions (again, subtly) to let me know how my family feels about homosexuality and bisexuality. Since I'm still not sure yet if I'm straight or bi I don't want to go around causing drama for nothing, but I'd like to be able to talk to someone. How do you find out if your family would be able to easily accept you, even if you're possibly "different"?

2. starmarie

starmarie Guest

Try bringing up LGBTQ issues. You could ask about their take on same-sex marriage, and if they ask why you're talking about it you could perhaps tell them that you heard people talking about it or something. I asked my parents if they believed people could be bisexual (my mother used to think they couldn't, but now she believes it's possible). You'll likely get a feel for what they think by what they say and how they say it. It's always difficult when your family isn't as open as you'd like them to be, and in that case it's hard to know what to do...do you have any friends who are open to homosexuality or bisexuality? Open-minded friends are good to have as support. I wish you luck...hopefully your family will respond positively. :slight_smile:

3. Mauve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Unfortunately my mother believes sexuality is a choice, and unless you are straight you are confused and abnormal. Thanks for the idea, I think that would work very well! My very best friend is about as open to any sexuality as can be. She's the only one I've come out to and I might as well have told her I'd eaten ice cream for breakfast for all it affected her view of me. :grin:

4. starmarie

starmarie Guest

I'm sorry to hear that. :confused: I wonder if she would possibly think about it differently if she learned more about it, if that makes any sense. I don't know how one would go about that though. :/ But it came to mind.

I'm glad to hear that your best friend is accepting and open about it! She sounds amazing. I've only told my roommate and my boyfriend, but I don't really have the guts to talk to them more about it (not really sure why), even though they're accepting. But anyway...I'm glad to hear that. :slight_smile:

5. Mauve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Maybe, but it is not a subject I'm looking forward to discussing with her, and I'm not sure she's at all willing to learn more about the LGBTQ community. I definitely understand your reluctance to talk more about it to your roommate and boyfriend because I feel the same about it with my best friend. She doesn't have a problem with it but I'm not sure I'm ready to start discussing it very openly. Telling anyone at all took me a long time!

6. Robin Vote

Maybe it's not the right time to bring it to her? I was thinking that if I find myself in this situation I would just be myself (discreetly but not secretly) and they would start to pick up on it. Give them a chance to observe and wonder, then tell them after they've become used to it subconsciously.

Then again, I'm probably a coward when it comes to this.