1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting Guys whilst still in the Closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shahenshah, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Shahenshah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone,

Well, I have never done this before; and, to be honest, I am surprised I am here. I am happy nonetheless. Haha.

I am a student at UIUC, and I am not out at all. But I want to meet [gay] men still - just even for someone to be able to talk to about my 'issues' which I can not right now with anyone. Where do gay people go to find each other? [I suppose, I am wording stupidly. I apologise in advance; I am not trying to offend.] Are there good sites online?

I realise this is a bit open-ended, but any advice is welcome.

Thanks en advance!

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2012 at 02:22 AM ----------

I do not know how to remove the post from here, haha. Sorry! I know my post should not be in this section!

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See if your university has an LGBT group. I went to my university's, originally because I could get extra credit for my class by doing that, and then I liked it so much and met so many nice people that I ended up making a lot of new friends. So try that!

I don't know of any recommendable online sites. Most online sites are of the hookup type, and even if they're not meant to be a hookup site they end up that way anyway.

3. GayforGuys

I'm actually glad you posted that, I'm in a pretty similar situation at the moment. I'm in the closet, hopefully for not much longer, and looking to meet Gay people. I would definitely check if there are any LGBT groups of any kind nearby at all, the internet and places like this are always a great place to meet Gay people.
    Gotta agree with 'justinf' but, wouldn't really recommend any other sites though, mostly just for hook ups.

4. GDUSA

GDUSA Guest

Yeah def. explore the scene b4 coming out until your ready. Online would be best way. be sure to post annonously since you are not out but be careful.

5. Oregontinker

Well feel free to ask us any questions, while it is not the same as talking with someone in person it can be helpful. I have come out twice so far in my life due to family pressure, but i am out for good this time, and the second time was much easier

6. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others have said, you could go to LGBT clubs that aren't in your immidiet area. The people there aren't going to out you, since well, they're gay and know what that's like, and also, they have their own lives to go about. They'll have no interest in tracking down your friends and telling them "OMG BOB IS GAY".

You could try wearing one of those rainbow bracelets in hopes that other gay/bi people might get the hint and approach you, but of course you'd still have to start up a dialogue, since people aren't going to walk up to someone and say "I noticed you wear a rainbow bracelet, are you gay?". It's more just a hint to get the conversation rolling in that direction. Try bringing up gay marriage when appropriate too, most people who are pseudo-out/fully out will take that as an opportunity to say they're gay/bi.