1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes Virginia, there is worse than rock bottom...and i've found it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jman960, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jman960

Out Status:
    A few people
    So i've tried to give myself a break by not posting in here, trying to figure out things on my own. What i've come to realize is that this is my only outlet. I have tried to find a local support group and have come up empty handed as meetings aren't anywhere near me and they are all happening while i'm working. I've only told a handful of friends with which it seems like they'd be more likely to discuss a new video game with me. I feel like I have no one because the only person that I have is the one who opened the door.

I'm still trying really hard to get inside his head and figure out what's going on. I still have to talk to him, but why when I know the answer to all of my questions? I've gotten some "hints" but for some reason I feel that it's not enough when I know it should be. I've thought about quitting my job and moving just so I wouldn't have to face him. Lately i've just been so alone and depressed every day. I've had no luck with women, and so far not with men so i'm going through this "questioning what's wrong with me" phase.

I almost feel like i'm going through death grief stages. At first I was excited, nervous, and for a split-second felt loved. I am confused and lonely and am now starting to get angry and take back all the steps I took forward as i'm getting nowhere. I'm becoming angry with him for showing me this, putting me in that position, and making me lovesick over him. I feel like I need to push him out of my life as he makes no attempt to even be my friend (he's all I have (gay friend)). My friends have told me "you don't have to do this alone", but lately that's what it's been. Are these stages normal? At this point i'm ready to delete this profile and just go back to the life I had. I didn't necessarily enjoy it but I got used to it and it kind of worked for me...:tears: :help:

2. john1984

I'm not sure i totally understand whats going on but i think what you are saying is you like someone or did something with someone that now is ignoring you and you feel like your friends aren't really there for you. If thats the case there is not much you can do about the guy if he doesn't want to talk to you. You will need to move on because as much as it sucks you can't make someone like you back. It's a hard thing if you re the one with the feelings though. And if he just used you or something he's a piece of crap anyway so learn the lesson from it and you won't be in that osition again. As far as your friends go they aren't mind readers and people get caught up in their own stuff so ask them for help don't expect them to just know on their own.

3. BudderMC

Have you talked with your friends about it? It's possible that they're not sure how to handle the news, so they're following your lead on it. Since you aren't bringing it up, they might feel they don't have to either. If your friends were supportive coming out, I'm sure that they'd be willing to talk with you about it - you might just need to initiate that conversation. You know, communication is key, even in friendships. :slight_smile:

Talk to him about what? Is it that you've got feelings for him? If that is the case, you should note that just having the answers you need won't necessarily make the feelings go away.

Also, you don't need to be with a guy/girl to know whether you're gay/straight. It's about your attraction, your desire, and you don't need to sleep with someone to know that. If guys catch your eye, then maybe you're gay. If not, then maybe you're straight.

There's nothing wrong with you. Perhaps you're looking for people in the wrong places. Where have you been going/what have you been doing to find guys/girls?

Those stages are normal. They're called the stages of grief. What are you grieving? Well, the loss of your identity, of course. Sounds farfetched, but if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. We've even got them posted here because everyone goes through them. :slight_smile:

4. Jman960

Out Status:
    A few people
    About a month and a half ago a friend brought me home from a night out and made a move on me and I reciprocated (I have a post about this "ask him or kiss him"). I can't decide if he kissed me/slept with me out of curiosity (what he claims) or if he really does have feelings for me. I work with him so I see him every day, which makes it so much worse. He has made no attempt to really talk to me, but that's also kind of in his nature. No matter what I do I can't get over him. I feel like i'm bothering him/them with everything because it's been the same situation for almost 2 months.

Yes I have talked to them and they are all supportive, I just feel like i'm wasting their time because i'm not completely figured out.

I've thought about it a lot, whether it was feelings or just because of the situation (being my first guy). Mostly because I don't know what's going on in his mind, if he actually regrets it (told me he didn't), if it was just a one time thing (even though i'm his coworker?) or if he does have feelings for me and is giving me space to figure myself out. I want to/need to talk to him but i'm terrified to. After all is said and done, I'm pretty sure it's feelings for him. He has just given me a lot of mixed signals and all the people that i've told completely agree with me, which doesn't help but eases my mind i'm not completely over thinking it. He agreed to take me to a gay bar, and experience the gay community. That's the farthest i've gotten. I've started looking for LGBT groups near me, but came up shorthanded. He's the only gay friend i've got in this area and other than going to the bar with him I feel like I need to just shut him out.

5. john1984

Ok well if he did it out of curiosty then there is a good chance he is just as confused as you are. Same if he likes you and that is all new for him. He will have to figure that out in his own and he may not anytime soon so all you can do is deal with you. It sounds like you have good friends and that is a blessing many people don't have that. Give yourself time to figure things out. Trying to force it and decide everything now won't work and will just take you further down the road you're on right now. Try to become ok with not being ok with it if that makes sense.

6. Jman960

Out Status:
    A few people
    But the thing is, he's out and has been for almost 10 years. I've known him for about 6 months now. He friend requested me on Facebook and was always super friendly. He's kind of talked about it with a friend who used to share my desk with me. Then we are out on a Friday night with some coworkers and he starts making out with me in his truck..out of curiosity. Then he started liking damn near every post I put on my Facebook. I don't get it and its really weighing me down. I am trying to give it time, but in almost 2 months I feel like Ive made no progress.. I'm too wrapped up in him still.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: very deep breaths, here! Yes, this is a confusing situation. However, it is not one where jumping to conclusions will help you.

I mean: reread the following paragraph:
    Essentially, you DON'T know the answer to your questions. Yes, I endorse coming up with ideas of what might be going on. It helps in preparing for all eventualities. In previous threads, I even came up with a few ideas of my own.

But that's all preparation. No matter how much you dread it... a plan needs a confrontation with reality. Might be that he's shy, might be that he's unsure, might be that he's not willing to take this further. But trust me on this: knowing from him will be better than coming here, 5 years down the line, and wondering "did I make a terrible mistake by never asking him?"

Also, we're talking about two things here:
    - Not asking him what his position is, assuming the worst, and even changing jobs and moving based on an answer you never got
    - Asking him what his position is, and then determining what to do.

...that's almost a no-brainer, no? There's no way to look at it and have answer 1 be the best option.

Yes, talking is hard. But to snap out of the overanalysing, maybe do the following: write out what you would want to tell. What questions you want to ask. Hell, see it as a coming-out letter. Post it here for us to offer some input. That could already be a valuable step on the way of working up the courage to move beyond overanalysing into dealing with this.

8. john1984

Hey if he has been out for almost 10 years i don't understand why he did something out of curiousity. That doesn't make sense unless he has been out but this was his first time doing something but i doubt it after 10 years of being out. It sounds like maybe he just wanted to mess around and the fact that you hadn't before was something he liked. You've got to talk to him and if there is no answer there or a hurtful one just again take the lesson and move on. If he is the kind of guy it sounds like he could be you will be better off without him trust me even if you don't see that right now. You will never be happy with a guy like that if you're looking for something real.