1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready, but scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by indivision, Dec 4, 2012.

1. indivision

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so, as of recently, I've really felt like I'm comfortable with who I am, as far as accepting my sexuality and actually feeling quite proud of it. However, I've not come out to my family quite yet. All of my close friends know that I identify as a lesbian, and they are all so supportive, and it felt like a weight was lifted when I finally came out to them. But for some reason, I'm afraid to tell my parents and sister. They aren't homophobic, really, at all, and I think my mom and sister already know, and may just be waiting for me to say something, but I'm just scared. The really big wrench in the problem is that I feel ready to tell them. I just don't know when is the appropriate time, or how to do it, or what to say. I just know that I'm ready for them to know. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated, as I've been struggling with finding the time and the words for about a month now.

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you eat dinner with your mom and sister? If so, try bringing up a lgbt topic in the news and see how they react. If they're open minded then try coming out to them. However, if you don't eat together try texting them asking if you could speak to them about something. I remember freaking out because I needed to get it off of my chest.

I never planned my coming out, it was random--I don't remember the conversation I was having beforehand. My sisters were okay with it except for one. She treated me differently for a while; she'd run out of the room, whenever I would watch anything on TV that was gay related. I guess she thought I'd turn her gay or something crazier. I'm sure your family will be supportive of you since they already suspect it. Just remember to breathe and relax. It's difficult coming out; I'm not going to lie, but it does get easier once you come out the first time.

#2 pinklov3ly, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012