1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm pansexual. My parents don't understand?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shibby, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Shibby

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    After I came out as a Lesbian over a year ago, I've finally come to the conclusion that it wasn't the fact that my partner was female - it was the fact that I was attracted to her personality, regardless of her body type (like so many people base a relationship on today).

Now 11 months after the break up, I've met an amazing guy that has changed my view of society after being a victim of psychological abuse. I have never met somebody like this man before and have never been so happy to see somebody be themselves - right down to the rainbow socks they wear. He does not care what others think about him, and although there are others that make jokes about his appearance when we walk down the street together, I've never been more attracted to anybody else in my entire life and it is because of this that I'm not sure how to introduce this beautiful, feminine man to my parents.

You see, my parents did not grow up being acceptive of the LGBT community and are harsh when I bring somebody home that is not up to their 'manly' standards. My father usually calls men, especially ones that wear skinny jeans, 'faggots' and I'm not sure how to make them understand that this is what my man is comfortable wearing. I've never seen anybody throughout my entire years of school embrace the person they are and this is why I'm so attracted to the thought and high possibility of becoming involved sexually, and emotionally with this male. He is a blessing for me.

How could I make them understand that, although I'm attracted to what is on the outside, that the attraction I have for them is mostly fueled by the personality that shines through? I don't care that the man is more feminine than most; it's exactly what I find intriguing and it's something I believe will lead to a good thing. My parents, however, think that attraction is what's on the outside - and that I should be with a masculine.

#1 Shibby, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the first thing that I wondered is how you came out to your parents as lesbian, and what their reaction was. If you've already come out to them, then you probably have a better idea of how they'll react than anybody.

As for getting them to accept your partner, if you think they might be put off by him for whatever reason, I would just start slow. Encourage him to be honest and forthcoming about who he is (though it doesn't sound like that will be much of an issue for him!), and give yourself time to have conversations with your parents about what they think of him. Direct acknowledgment of the issue is probably the safest way to go, in the long haul.

3. Neutrality

Honestly, this will sound really bad but, they might be more accepting if they were not happy with you being a lesbian...they might think it's better for you to be with a guy no matter how feminine he is then a girl. I know my dad is kinda like this, he accepts me 100% and would be the first one at the wedding if I marry a guy, but he seemed really happy that I went on a date with a girl even though ze was genderfluid and presented pretty masculinely

4. ICTOAUN

i think what you wrote to us is exactly what u shud say to them. u got your point across very well.