1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friendship troubles...needing help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chierro, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, you heard it right, there's trouble in Friendshipland. With whom you ask? By the one, the only....*drum roll*...Alex.

But it's spiraled beyond just me and him. More people are getting involved...and it's going to get really ugly, really fast.

So I'll just get straight to the point. Alex practically hates my guts. Alex and I both bowl on our high school and last year it was fun..because we were still friends, this year things are getting testy. I spent March-June and September-November (off season when I don't bowl for school or have work) bowling once a week with my grandma, who's my personal coach, and I was getting really good. Lately..not so much. Anyways I bowled really bad on Friday...drastically dropping my average and today our coach came in with the averages for the whole team.

I went to check and as of Friday I was second on JV, which will have died after today, and as for Alex...he was on Varsity. Now don't get me wrong I wasn't mad at him for being on Varisty, I was mad at him because I spent months practicing and because of ONE shitty game, he was ahead. We began and I knew I would do bad, most of the team started bad and Alex was getting strikes and spares and good pins. Eventually we had a slight interaction,
    Alex: Wow, I'm doing really bad.
    Me: Alex, shut up. I have a fucking 66 in the 9th (really, REALLY bad). Just don't talk.
    I ended with a 73 and he had a 103 and he was trying to make the rest of us feel bad for him. None of us were. The second game began and I was still sucking and he was still doing good. We were all cheering for other people and eventually Alex started being all hyper and yelling and cheering for our friend Tristan. Tristan was pissed. Tristan ended up telling him to shut up. Alex didn't like that,
    Alex: Wow, does everybody hate me here?
    None of us responded, but he got the picture. He shut up and he was pissed off and it was obvious about it. Eventually I told my friend Nate and he went and whispered something in his ear. (I later found out that he had told Alex that the only reason that we hated him was because he was doing better). He then had to leave after that game. He didn't give us any reason. I then did better.

The thing is...I don't actually hate Alex. He's still my best friend...even through everything that's been going on (yes, I'm aware that I sound like I'm quoting Too Close by Alex Clare...I'm not). I want him to actually know what's going on and I want to explain why all of us were getting mad, he won't text me back though. I saw how mad he was, I know him too well to have let that pass me.

So that's what I need you guys for. I need some way to explain this all to him while still holding onto what's left of our friendship. Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. If you read this all, I commend you.

2. Gen

Gen

Hmmm, if this situation happened on Friday, then have you seen him in person these past two days?

Either way, sometimes it is very important to give people enough space and time to cool off. From what I take of the situation, both sides could have handled it a little bit better, but I hardly see it as something friendships are going to be lost over. It just seems as though tensions where a tad high and everyone just needed a bit of space for the moment.

When you guys see each other again, I'm sure it will be all over after you guys talk it out.

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, this actually happened all today. Tensions are really high. Alex is honestly convinced we all hate him for obvious reasons.

4. Gen

Gen

Oh, well then I especially mean what I previously said. Just give him some time to cool off, and talk to him tomorrow or something. Clarity of mind is very elusive in high tensions. I wouldnt fret just yet... (That Rhymed ^_^)

5. Crazyguy

Why not text Alex, tell him you don't hate him and that you still want to be friends. He may not respond but at least you've given him the opening to connect again. Sounds like everyone was jealous of how well Alex was doing which is sad. Maybe there is more to the story, just seems like a small issue to take exception with. Sounds like Alex's feelings were hurt and maybe an apology is in order?

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did try to text Alex. He didn't respond. I said, "Dude, do you really think I hate you?" which obviously implies that I don't.

And ther's more to why we got mad. He was being cocky. When I had gotten a 73 (which is TERRIBLE for me) he had the nerve to get mad because he ended up with a 103 right in front of me. Not cool. And he did it more, to more of the team. We're JV, we don't get mad at eachother for their scores, but Alex is a different case for many reasons.

7. WonderEgg

Try to explain to him how he was being a jerk (in a nice way) and how you're not actually mad at him. You should know how he'll respond to what you say.

8. stumble along

dont make a big deal out of this it just sounds like two friends got on each others nerve. i had a best friend and every now and then wed get pissed and for the rest of the day we would no longer be friends and the next day its was like nothing happened. if he's still butthurt then tell him why