1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nisomer, Sep 13, 2006.

1. nisomer

OK, so I've come out to a lot of people in the past few months, and everything has been awesome. So a couple of nights ago, I was talking with one of my guy friends through aim. He decided, since he was bored, to play a "game" where each person would take turns telling the other person something new about themselves.

He started off by saying something about how he's starting to like country music, I followed by saying something else (i dont remember what lol). This went on for a few more turns while the whole time I was contemplating whether or not to just tell him I'm gay. It came to my turn, and I was just like, fuck it, and I said, "I'm gay. Your turn."

Then the conversation turned around and we started talking about it. He was really accepting, and kept apologizing about all the gay remarks he used to always make. He said I was one of his better friends and that he was really sorry. He asked me questions about how long I've known, and what it's like, he seemed really interested. I sent him my paper that I wrote about acceptance, and he said he would read it before he went to bed. He said he had to go to bed, and asked if we could talk later. That was that, and I went to sleep happily that night.

So, what's the problem? The next day at school (this was yesterday), everything was ok until the class period before choir (which is the only class I have with him). I started getting nervous for no apparent reason. I think I was nervous about seeing him, but I don't know why. I was worried about how he would act? Even though I talked to him online the night before, I for some reason was still worried. So as I walked to choir, I ran into him. I had no clue how I should have acted, so we basically just slapped hands and said what's up. He started talking about random shit, and I was wondering if he was just talking about random shit to avoid the topic of me being gay? Or if he just didn't care that much. I didnt know if I should have brought up the topic, or if I should have acted normally like I always would to him, and just forget about our conversation online. Should the conversation online have affected how we communicate to each other? The whole choir rehearsal I was thinking about him for some reason. I wanted it to be like how it always was between us, but I don't know why he was always on my mind. I was really self-conscious the whole time during rehearsal and during the time he walked to lunch with me. It seemed like for him it was completely normal, but I was always trying to figure out how he was acting and how I was acting.

After walking to lunch, it was the last I saw him all day (we sit at different tables). Later that night, he IMed me agian, and said that he read my paper, and that it was a very well written paper, it almost made him evoke tears because of how I overcame my problems. We had another pretty long converation online, with him asking a lot of questions, and discussing stuff like, the term "gay", gay marraige, telling my parents, gay bars...stuff like that. He even said that if I ever needed someone to go to a gay bar with, he'd go with me. He was always a pretty close friend to me, but we'd never really have any "deep" talks; we'd mostly just shit around with each other. After the last 2 conversations we'd had online, it made me realize how much better of a friend he is.

So today, I saw him before school sitting at a table with a whole bunch of people. The reason I actually went to that table was to talk about a project with one of our other friends. They were sitting next to each other, I basically just gave him a high five and started talking to my other friend about the project. I think that's what I would normally do, just high five him. See, that's the thing, I don't know how I should be acting around him, I want to be better friends, but I am just confused if I should be acting differently or what? At choir we just waved, and that was it. I try my best not to think about it so much. I want it to be like just 3 days ago, when I wasn't so self-conscious, where I could just act without thinking! But I don't know what to do, advice anyone?

2. Mercedez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The best advice is just be yourself and be normal. I mean, don't let being gay define you. It is only one aspect of your life. There will be awkwardness if you let there be. Your friend seems really supportive. I mean he is willing to go to a gay bar with you lol, not many straight guys are willing to do that. Don't sweat it.

3. nisomer

Yeah I know he is really supportive, and none of it is his fault that I am feeling this way. It's not like he's the first guy that I've came out to either...I think one main difference that might have affected it was the fact that I came out online with him, other than doing it in person.

4. step49x

I think whether you should start "acting different" depends on your personal preferences. For me, yes I'm gay, but I don't plan on changing my personality, looks, ect. when I come out to friends.

Being gay is a part of me. It doesn't define me.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice is to take a deep breath, then another, and then let it go. Just be how you normally are with him and count yourself EXTREMELY luck you have someone that supportive in your life. The only things that should change are the things that normally would, like obviously you shouldn't be talking with him about which girls you think are hot. You can talk with him about which girls HE thinks are hot, of course, but the only way you need to "change" how you are with him is that now you can be completely open with him rather than having to edit certain things.

6. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A similar thing happened when I came out to my mom- for about four days, I fretted over my actions around her, wondering how to act. Then the worry just started to disappear. Hopefully, the same thing will happen for you- I was pretty miserable those few days.

So good luck, and congrats on such a smooth coming out!

7. TriBi

Yes - just be yourself. As a couple of others have said, your sexuality is part of you...but it doesn't (or shouldn't IMO) define you.

He seems to be acting normally with you - so are you nervous because he hasn't touched the topic of you being gay "face to face", but only online?

If that is the case, it could be that he is uncertain of "who knows" and doesn't want to risk compromising your situation in public.

It could just be that he is trying to be a good friend by NOT treating you any differently. If he is as supportive as you make him sound, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

8. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I think TriBi really hit on it. I have a friend a lot like that who doesn't mention anything regarding my sexuality in public and so things are pretty much the same as they've always been. He actually forgets sometimes...it's quite funny when I'm like "Yeah, I'll probably want to get married and maybe have 2 or 3 kids" and he's like "In wedlock or out?" and I'm like "ummm...*cough**cough*..." and things get awkward...

But I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like he's a really good friend and you're lucky to have someone like him in you life :slight_smile:.

9. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I'd just like to reiterate what most others have been saying. You should just be yourself around him. That's all there is to it.

And one reason why he doesn't bring it up in public could be because he doesn't fully understand how open you are about it. With my cousin, I was always worried that he was afraid of the subject, and that's why he didn't bring it up. But after we did talk, he told me he thought I was the one who was uncomfortable.

I find that some straight people are really conscious about bringing up the subject, not because they are uncomfortable, but because they're afraid you might be. I know I can't speak for them, but this was what one of my straight friends told me. And my experience with my cousin only confirmed it.

Anyway, maybe you could bring this up with him--about the way you guys act around each other in public, and you know, maybe come to an understanding.

10. step49x

I have definately seen that kind of thing before. When straight people find out someone is gay, they start getting completely appologetic about every single time they had the slightest chance of offending that person. It can be funny, though, because usually the gay person doesn't care.

11. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I know...I usually like to be the one to make it incredibly awkward for my friends...if someone cracks a joke that could be counted as even remotely offensive towards gays, I just stare at them kind of scowling until they begin apologizing profusely...it's quite funny.

I know. I'm a bad person...but hey, whatever's entertaining for me :lol:.

12. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can interprete your question two ways. Do you want advice about if you should change your personality now that he knows, or do you want help loosening up and not feeling self-conscious around him? Everybody here seems to think it's the former.

I still have problems with the latter. My friend's known for what... 2-3 years now?... but I still feel extremely self-conscious around him. It takes me a long time to loosen up around people who think I'm straight, so imagine how I am around somebody who knows. Is this the kind of situation you have?

13. nisomer

It was the 2nd question, I want to stop feeling so self-consious around him. Although thanks to all the great advice, today was good. I was way less self-consious and was able to be myself a lot easier. There was still though, just a little bit of it left in me, and sometimes I still think about it. I'm hoping it will just rub off by the end of the week.

14. nisomer

Okay, so about that last sentence....didn't happen. It's been almost 3 months and these feelings have hardly died down. We hardly ever talk now and it seems like when we do there's nothing to talk about. Mainly because of me. I know this is completely my fault because of my damn self conciousness. It's a trait that has always been with me. I've gotten better over the past years, but I guess I haven't completely gotten rid of it.

So the past week and next week, our school has our annual "musical extravagansa" named "BRAVO!". Him (I'll refer to him as M) and I are both in it. While I don't ever see M during the show, I do see him afterwards, when all the cast go out to the commons and hug each other, while the audience comes and congradualates us. The past two shows we just basically shook hands and continued on. I mean, I walk around looking for people and when I see him, I now try to kinda avoid him because I have no idea what to say.

Last night there was a cast party, almost everyone went including both of us. When I got there I grabbed some food and went to sit down. I sat on a couch and started talking to some people. Then later M comes down and sits on the ledge of the couch next to me. I say something like "whats up", and he goes "nothin how bout you? hows the love life?" The rest of the conversation went something like this:

"The love life is...alright," I said knodding my head and smiling kinda.

Then he said something like, "Find anyone special yet?"

"Nope," I said. "Besides you of course." As you can see I was trying to be myself, as I jokingly said that.

"Oh thanks," he responded. "Hey when's your birthday?"

"Um like a month ago, why?"

"Well then we'll just have to wait for mine," he said. I was kinda confused as to what he was refering to...and then he continued, "I promised I'd take you to the club when you turn 18, now we just have to wait for me to turn 18." He's referring to when he said that he would take me to the gay club. (this was in my first post)

Then I was like, "Oh yeah, I still haven't gone yet."

"Well I'm still taking you," he said. He started to get up.

I said something like, "alright I'll be waiting" or something like that, as we shook hands and he left.

Ok, so that conversation, I was still not completley myself. If I wasn't so self-conscious while I was talking, you would have seen a lot more of my dialouge in there. I am a really talkative person usually, and really easy going. While that conversation assured me that our friendship wasn't completely over, and it was also the first time he has actually said something, at least relating to me being gay, in person.

Here's what I feel I should do. Seeing as how I've tried everything to just be normal around him and it hasn't really worked...well everything except for one thing. Talking about it. I have a feeling that he feels, just as I do, that our friendship isn't as normal as it used to be. If I confront him and tell him it was basically my fault that I was always acting a little strange, and that I have been really self-conscious, mostly because of the fact that I came out online to him, and I never really knew how to act afterwards. I think that should help me get things back to normal, what do you guys think?

15. GuitarGirl1350

I had a small problem like this the first time I came out. It was to this girl I liked, and for a couple days I kind of shyed away from her and felt really nervous and stupid when she was around. The problem went away on it's own after about three days, but I'd tell you to just try and ignore it. The more natural you try to act, the less natural you will seem. Just relax.

16. GuitarGirl1350

Oh snaps, I just read about the three months thing. So, I guess you should disregard my advice then. New advice is to definitely talk about it- the longer you leave the pink elephant in the room, the larger it will grow.

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it would really help you to talk to him. You've talked to him over IM about it, but never in person, so you know he knows, but you're still not fully comfortable with him knowing, or not sure about how comfortable he is with it (since you and him can't fully express emotion over IM). Ask him some day (in person or over IM) if he wants to go out for coffee / ice cream / milkshakes, etc.

Seeing him on a one to one basis means you can freely talk about it, as compared to school. Then you can read some real emotion from him about how he feels. Don't think of it as something bad that you have to confess to, but just talk about how you've felt a little self-conscious about it afterwards and you want to return your friendship to normal.

You can maybe talk to him a bit more one on one about your sexuality, maybe about how comfortable or not you feel about talking about it at school, who else knows, what would a "normal friendship" is, etc. Maybe talk a bit in person about that paper about acceptance. In other words, try to be comfortable talking to him in person about being gay. I think that would help remove the awkwardness in your friendship.