1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GirlNextDoor, Dec 4, 2012.

1. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

Okay, I'm in high school. I've known that I liked girls since 5th grade, and I am very sure that I am not straight. My circle of friends all know my sexuality, and now I'm ready to take another step out of the closet... my parents. O-O
    This scares me a lot more than it did when I thought of coming out to my friends, even though I'm pretty sure my parents would be supportive and all.
    First off, I've got some other parent-relational issues that I'm currently trying to work out. But coming out to my parents would help immensely, I think, because them not understanding anything about me is most of the problem. They're nice and stuff, but they just don't get me at all... :icon_sad:
    So, there's always the potential for something to go wrong. What if they won't be as supportive as I think? I'm afraid they'll think this is an attention stunt or something, and not take me seriously. :confused:
    I've considered talking about the whole issue with my grandma first, since one of her kids is lesbian (maybe I could talk to her?), and she'll know what to do. Should I come out to her, or will my parents be mad that I told someone else first? They might be mad already if they knew my friends have known for months... I'm just closer to my friends, that's all...
    Sorry for the long post, but I'm so nervous. This is a really big step for me. :icon_eek:
    Experiences, thoughts, advice, ANYTHING would be a great help!
    Thank you so much! (*hug*)

2. justgowithit

Gee, I don't know. But since your parents sound okay I think they'd at least accept it...if that helps....