1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Effects Of T

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BoiGeorge, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I'm really curious to know what happens after ftms take T. I'm considering looking into taking T myself, and I want to know what physical, mental and emotional changes take place. I don't know much about it so I'm hoping you guys can help me.

2. it takes a few months to take hold, you dont take it then boom everything happens at once. every person is different, but generally over time (months/years) your voice gets deeper, your chest gets broader and smaller boobs slightly (i think), facial hair, your hips get smaller/straighter so you dont have curves like women do, you grow (thats what my friend told me), hands get slightly bigger e.t.c e.t.c. just everything about you over time appears more masculine.

mentally/emotionally you arent so fragile as women are. well not fragile but apparently you dont cry as much and it takes a lot for you to cry. you still ahve the same feelings obv but just a bit differntly.

apparently it makes your sex drive go sky high aswell.
    thats what friends have told me so... idk im not on it lol. but google may be your best option

you have to go through loads and loads of assessments from psychiatrists e.t.c aswell you cant just go to the drs and be like yeah can i have t. theres loads of long drawn out appts that you have to go to e.t.c. to get what you finally want. if they dont think you are ready for it you wont get it unfortunately and once you take it the changes that have already taken place if you at some point want to stop it wont be reversible i dont think. so i think thats why the process of getting it is so long.

#2 flyinhernikes, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  3. J Snow

Well, while I'm in fact taking T-blockers, I may not be an expert on how it would effect you, I think Flyinhernikes was mostly correct, but there are a few things that I think are inaccurate in her post. I do not believe it causes your breasts to shrink at all. Hormones can cause the development of new growth, but they can't make your body get rid of something that is already there. This is why MtFs don't get a benefit when it comes to their voice. The vocal cords have already grown and hormones can't make them shrink.

Also, I believe that once you begin the process you will need to take T to some extent for the rest of your life. I know that even with removal of the testes, MtFs are required to take estrogen for the rest of our lives. Not having any hormones in your system can be very unhealthy.

Hope I was of some assistance.

4. Ruthven

Taking T won't affect your hips; though the whole fat redistribution may help in making one's outline straighter. It won't really affect one's height either, unless it's taken when in the teens. There will be clitoral growth, the face will masculinize, voice deepens, facial hair and body hair growth, period will stop, the hairline will become more masculine (may even start balding, depends on genetics and everything), bones will become more dense, more muscle/easier to build muscle.

Hudson's FTM Resource Guide

Here's a good place to get information, including the stuff I said and how T can/will affect one's health and in what ways. Breaks down some myths and stuff too.

To get T, you need a letter from a therapist, or you can go the informed consent route. But either way you have got to make sure this is what you want for yourself because many effects of T are permanent.

5. GayJay

Yeah the first comment pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm not on it myself YET, but my doctor has tolÐ me all the risks, changes ect..
    I belive the physical changes are; facial hair, more prominant jawline, broader shoulders, fat redistrabution(from your hips and butt to stomach ect..) Thicker body hair, increased bone density, like JSnow said your breats don't go smalled but as your fat redistrabutes and you gain muscle they will appear smaller on some people.

Emotionally, you might feel more detached from everything, you find it hard to be affected by things and cry. And a really really high sex drive. A good few of the trans guys I know said it was totally out of control and they were begging women for sex.
    But it really hard to get. I don't know about were you are but I've been waiting almost a year and I'm not even halfway there. Its a lot of waiting around and stress but worth it in my eyes.

6. DhammaGamer

A few of my best friends are FtM. One started T about 3 months or so after I was on my hrt. His voice is cracking, he has a lot of issues right now with acne, beginning facial hair growth, mentioned he has body hair growth (some not so desirable lol), and he says his sex drive is through the roof. He jokes about how he and his girlfriend broke up shortly after starting T and that now he is the horniest he has ever been and unfortunately is single and going through puberty at 26, lol. He sounds very happy with the changes so far and is scheduled for top surgery early next year. He is super super super cute by the way. I would totally make out with him lol

7. rday13

rday13 Guest

One of my close friends started on T about this time last year.
    Among the changes he's mentioned are the obvious ones like the appearance of body hair and the redistribution of body fat. Acne can be an issue, he jokes he's going through puberty all over again. I've noticed his voice deepening - he used to be a soprano, and now he's closer to a baritone (and he honestly loves his voice).
    He is pretty horny these days he says, and he doesn't understand how guys manage to just 'turn off', b/c seeing some cleavage just sets him off. We have some fun conversations about what is socially appropriate for a young man to do (i.e. you can't comment on said cleavage or touch it unless the lady permits etc). Ah, ragin' hormones, I miss ye not, as I joke with him. He takes it rather good-naturedly, as he finds it all so exciting.
    He also says he's more likely to do stuff he's never done before. From psych I can tell you that T is correlated with an increase in risky behaviors. What is risky depends, it can involve driving a car (notice insurance rates are ALWAYS higher for men than women), or jaywalking. In his case, he no longer has hangups about jogging in an old hoodie, which is likely helping his overall body image, as this was a guy who used to hate his body and he's discovering a new side of him that is interested in those runs. And maybe all the chicks he gets to check out/run with him?
    I'm sincerely happy for him, but I wrote as much as I could recall - hope it helps :slight_smile:

8. Deaf Not Blind

^ Lucky guy he is, to have a voice change so well. I must be about a 1st soprano. My gramma could go lower than me. :/
    He also got you who is willing to discuss boy talk with him. I don't. I got no brothers or dad either.
    Yup, he is lucky.

9. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Thanks for the advice guys! This has been very helpful! :slight_smile: I am considering having top surgery possibly and perhaps T as well. I wouldnt have bottom surgery though. I feel very confused at the moment but I'm hanging in there. I know things will start to level out as time goes on.

10. Bree

One of my friends said that the very first thing that he noticed is he gained a lot of upper body strength. I had no idea that physical strength was that hormone dependent.