1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Took My Youth, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Took My Youth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out about a month ago, and my mum was great with it and my dad was sort of okay, I knew he was a little homophobic and (in his words) he thinks gays are aliens and he is disgusted when he sees it, but he wasn't too bad with it.

But I slept over at a friend's house on Monday night and when I came back, my mum was telling me how disappointed my dad was in me for being gay and that he blames my mum for me being gay because apparently she had a thing with a girl once.

It upsets me more than it should, it's just that I have been so open about it and then I find out that he doesn't like it at all and that he actually thinks that it's someones FAULT that I'm gay! It just gets to me, because ever since I came out he's been less caring towards me anyway.

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Parents go through various stages too, just so you know. It was like this when I came out too. Everything was about it for a while then everyone just forgot and moved on, things were back to normal.

While you should allow them to go through the stages in order to accept it, don't be afraid to speak your mind. Show them that they're making you feel bad and that if they continue you'll just shut them out until they're able to treat you like a daughter again.

All the best.