1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are a lot of gay/bi males camp?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PClarke123, Dec 5, 2012.

1. PClarke123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Now don't get me wrong... Firstly, I have nothing against LGBT people as I think I may be bisexual myself. Secondly, I know loads of other gay/bi males are straight acting. Lastly, I have always been a bit camp as a person myself (still am), this was before I started questioning my sexuality; so this is a genuine question not to offend people.

I keep thinking why a large amount of the gay/bi males are at least a bit camp? Why is this? Is it a psychological thing or a biological thing?

Loads of camp gay/bi males have camp voices too, which is interesting since you cannot change the voice you have been given at birth. So obviously these gay/bi males with those voices didn't choose to have that camp voice. I wonder if this is also a biological or psychological thing. I always had quite a camp voice before I realised I could be gay/bi so this comes to mind.

I know people may be saying answers like "it's a stereotypical thing", but I think some of those elements aren't really sterotypical.

2. Ticklish Fish

(what's a camp voice?)

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's talking about the stereotypical gay/lispy voice.

4. Zontar

They're not. My experience has been that most gay guys now put up this misogynistic facade of "I'm not feminine!" and will go out of their way to prove to everyone how unfeminine they are, throwing every feminine male under the bus in the process no matter what their orientation is. Sad, really.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I wouldn't say most gay guys I know are like that, but I know just as many gay guys who are like that as I know camp/flamboyant gay guys. It's sad, really.

For what it's worth, most queer people I know are neither stereotypical nor the type to brag about how non-stereotypical they are. They blend in with everyone else, and you really wouldn't know they're queer unless they mention it.

6. Gen

Gen

Simply put. How many different personalities do you find in the people on this earth? Endless amounts. Right?

Statistically, the amount of different psychological combination that combine to form someones personality is endless. However, in the simplistic scale of femininity to masculinity only one is acceptable per gender.

Its not that these men are outwardly camp, its that, because society expects that much from them, they ultimately have more freedom to act on it.

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

This is the reason.

The majority of the LGBT community speak like everyone else, it's the ones that don't you notice. For this reason, the stereotype is born.

8. Beachboi92

I like to think asking this question is about as useful as asking why they are gay. They just are, that is how they are comfortable, that is who they are. The only difference between a camp gay and one who is not is you notice camp you don't notice when they are more assimilated, therefore you believe most of the gay people you see are one way when you never see the others.