1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a lipstick (fem) lesbian and being accepted

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asari, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had a lot of fears about coming out and one of those fears is not being accepted by the gay community and not finding anyone to be with.

I've heard a lot of things about prejudice in the gay community. Because I'm really fem it has been easy for me to be in the closet for years and I worry the gay community might think I'm one of those college girls that is just "experimenting." I am terrified that if I go to my campus support group that I will be the only fem there and not feel like I fit in. I'm worried I might come off as a superficial chick to them cause I pay a lot of attention to the way I dress. I don't think I'm superficial, I love fashion and makeup and I obviously don't do it for guys attention.

I get hit on by guys all the time and I wish I had that attention from girls. I think the only indicator to my friends that I'm gay is that I have no interest in these really attractive men.

Also is it difficult to find other fem girls? Not that I have any problem with butch lesbians I'm just not attracted to the butch look.

2. HeartsEB829

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i am a lipstick lesbian and in college so i know exactly what u mean, and gets hit on guys all the time i know what you mean lol. Im not attracted to the butch look either. Its too bad we arent at the same college :frowning2: u seem really cool haha.

3. Robin Vote

It's funny that in the LGBT film and TV universe the fem lesbians seem to dominate the gay-girl population. Maybe it isn't like that, in reality. I think that some of those shows try to make it real and inspire folks to live it, though.

It might be a little racy for plain encouragement, but I found the show "Lip Service" to be very encouraging in the way it portrayed women in their late 20s-30 living the lipstick lesbian lifestyle amongst the gay scene in their city. I know it's fiction, but the city they filmed in (Glasgow) really does have that scene, and the fact that the group of women the show focused on were so different in style and personality... well it just seemed so great and really sparked me to think about how great it might be to integrate into groups of friends in and out of the gay community with their confidence.

It's a very sexy show - pretty racy if you're not totally comfortable with television portrayals of lesbian sex... ha.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

(the moral is to take confidence from some art forms like film and tv and just know that there are places like that)

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I just started watching lip service and I really like it. I prefer watching shows though with girls more in my age range though. Pretty Little Liars has younger fem lesbians. I think PLL was the first exposure I had to young fem culture. I didn't even know that it existed and when I was first exposed to it I realized that's who I was. ^.^ I wonder if there is some good Fem literature out there? I started reading a lot on queer theory and such and I like learning more about it.