1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Acceptance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theMaverick, Dec 6, 2012.

1. theMaverick

Since I last posted, I've made some steps towards accepting myself. I'm even starting to realize that I might be more into men than women, more-so than I thought. I have moments when I feel really good about myself, and then moments, like now, where I've been emotional all day, where I feel like dirt. My confidence is in the sewer, for starters. I think so lowly of myself most of the time. I'm fat, ugly, if I leave the current straight relationship I'm in I'll never find anyone else I fear. I am so depressed most of the time that I can't wrap my head around pulling myself out of this downward spiral of eating, weight gain, and depression that I'm in. I feel like I'm circling the drain, and I just wish someone would pull the plug.

2. FishMan27

Hey someonelost,
    That's awesome that you're taking steps to accept yourself! I know how rough that can be. It sounds like your biggest problems right now are self-esteem and body image. Coming to terms with who you are is a scary thing! I kind of just started fully accepting myself within the last year or so, and I understand the emotional rollercoaster involved. I noticed you are out to a few people. I think having that support system is really important in gaining some confidence and support. Even when you feel down, there are still plenty of people who care about you and love you for who you are.

As far as body image goes, that's kind of a tricky thing. We have so much pressure from today's society to be thin and fit. It can be really degrading. I know you've probably heard all this before. Just know that there are plenty of people who are attracted to all sorts of different body types. Just love yourself for who you are. I know that can be hard, but simple things like being able to poke fun at yourself every now and again and having good humor can help. When I was rather portly, I would joke that I had a six pack...underneath GLADIATOR fat. haha Or insulation. I've used that one, too.

Obviously, there are health reasons to staying in shape and stuff, but that doesn't mean being a twig. If you do want to lose weight, you'll need to build up your self-esteem first. Remember to take baby steps and realize that it's a long process and a lifestyle change, but you can do it!

I wish you the best of luck in figuring this all out. Remember, you have a huge support system right here on this website!

If you're interested, there is a youtuber named lacigreen who has a channel (called simply "lacigreen"), and she talks about a lot of different things revolving around sex, sexuality, body image, and those sorts of things. They're pretty entertaining, actually. I thing there is one that talks about body image. She kind of has that independent, I-don't-care-what-society-thinks-of-me kind of attitude. Anyway, if your interested, look her up. She's pretty cool.

3. theMaverick

I am out to a few people but I just moved and where I live I'm out to 0 people. I'm working on weight but sometimes I just feel hopeless. And I'm not one of those (no offence to anyone) people who is stick thin and says I'm fat. I'm fat. I'll check her out on youtube, thanks.

4. Ticklish Fish

eh, just do one thing at a time, moving to another location is already stressful lol

5. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Thats great that your accepting yourself really happy for you man :slight_smile:

6. theMaverick

I'm trying to.