1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the girl im in love with left for the Navy bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeartsEB829, Dec 6, 2012.

1. HeartsEB829

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So the girl i am in love with ( we are both girls) left for the Navy bootcamp a few weeks ago. She was having trouble paying for college so she had to find another option. Things were great before she left, she seemed to be on the track to accepting that she's a lesbian and stuff :slight_smile:. I am just feeling a bit down. is her life like over? Like will she never be able to party and have free time anymore? Do u think her going to the navy will be a good thing to be comfortable with herself and sexuality? Have any of you dated someone in the navy or military?. Her contract is only 4 years. After that, will life go back to normal? thanks.

2. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Well her life is going to change drastically for the next few years. She will have leave which is like vacation so she'll get to have time off then. As far as going back to normal when she is done, that depends on the person. I personally have never dated someone in the military. I'm joining in a couple months though. Basically, every person's experience in the military is different. Does she know you love her? Are you guys dating? As far as your relationship with her goes, all you can do is be supportive of her and let her know you are here for her

3. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I likewise haven't dated anyone from the Military. After a few things in the military, things will be back to normal, but I don't know if you want have that type of relationship for something who you basically just met. And yes, she will have a life outside the military, but she going have to go unexpected trips all the time.

4. As far as the military goes, many couples have some tough times being far apart for large amounts of time. I'm not in the Navy so I can't say much for how they operate. A lot of relationships tend to struggle because the mission comes first. As for her, she may or may not change depending on her personality and she will face some hardship of being disconnected from her home life. In my experience for the military there are some that will always say what is on their mind whether or not they care if it offends the person or not. I had a lot of people say a lot of shit about the LGBT community. But if it comes to hate crime towards such a person, then it can be reported. In the Army, a lot of soldiers get kicked out for physical assault.

She just has to have a strong mind and strong heart to get through the hardships that she will have to face in the next four years. You also to be strong to and try to not let this military affect your relationship and remember to keep in touch. She will have leave for holidays and such. I'm sure the leave works like in the army, every month you earn an amount of days of leave to use later on.

A common mistake a lot of first time soldiers make in the army is that they get married too soon. This usually ends up in bad financial situations, divorce, and ending a relationship on a bad note. They usually marry for the wrong reasons and usually the spouse isn't well with military way of life. I'm sure you two aren't planning on getting married soon anyway. If you do, just be sure when the time is right for both of you.

I'm not sure about posting links, but this guide is for anyone with a long distance relationship in the military. It may help. You can also ask questions in their forums too.

http://www.militaryonesource.mil/health-wellness
    The Short of Long Distance Relationships

These sites are meant to help, but it's up to both of you.